Evan Silva Graded Falcons Draft C +

6. Jake Matthews, tackle, Texas A&M.

37. Ra'Shede Hageman, defensive lineman, Minnesota.

68. Dezmen Southward, safety, Wisconsin.

103. Devonta Freeman, running back, Florida State.

139. Prince Shembo, outside linebacker, Notre Dame.

147. Ricardo Allen, cornerback, Purdue.

168. Marquis Spruill, linebacker, Syracuse.

253. Yawin Smallwood, linebacker, Connecticut.

255. Tyler Starr, outside linebacker, South Dakota.

Overview: Based on free agency and draft moves, it's pretty clear the Falcons will play base 3-4 defense under Mike Nolan in 2014. Rush 'backers Shembo and Starr fit the new-ish scheme, as do five-techniques Hageman and Tyson Jackson, and free-agent addition Paul Soliai. My favorite picks were plug-and-play tackle Matthews and fourth-rounder Freeman, a pass-game maven who fits perfectly into coordinator Dirk Koetter's pass-first attack. Southward is another intriguing pick with borderline-freak measurables and some potential to start at free safety right away, replacing Thomas DeCoud. Allen is a physical slot corner capable of pushing Robert McClain. Because Atlanta was exposed as one of football's most depth-deficient teams in 2013, I appreciated GM Thomas Dimitroff resisting the temptation to trade up for Jadeveon Clowney. I thought he brought in a solid class, but this team is still noticeably short on outside pass rush. The Falcons are also losing a major wrinkle from their offense as heavy-footed in-line blocker Levine Toilolo “replaces” Tony Gonzalez at tight end.

Grade: C+

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47166/174/draft-2014-nfc-draft-grades

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just positing article . He states it was smart to not trade for Clowney. I bolded that part. That is what being objective is about champ

then why not post one of the countless articles that gave us a much higher ranking? Im guessing because that doesnt fit your agenda

Guest MikeKennHOF

We had one great pick: Matthews.

We had two iffy picks in Hageman and Southward. I don't trust guys who don't play hard and consistently when they are trying to get a check. They almost never play harder once they actually cash the check.

Everyone else is absolute garbage that will be LUCKY to make special teams or dev-squad rosters. 4 lb's and no DE? No TE?

We had two iffy picks in Hageman and Southward. I don't trust guys who don't play hard and consistently when they are trying to get a check. They almost never play harder once they actually cash the check.

Everyone else is absolute garbage that will be LUCKY to make special teams or dev-squad rosters. 4 lb's and no DE? No TE?

The last sentence claiming everything else is garbage pretty much destroys all credibility for your post ...

TD already stated that the Falcons were moving away from the receiving TE and use more 3 WR sets.

Hageman is considered a DE because the Falcons are more than likely using more 3-4 packages this season. Which also explains the 4 LBs drafted.

That's stupid. We didn't want his replacement. We already said we're going back to blocking TEs. Which is a good idea.

Blocking TEs in a league of passing TEs? Talk about going back to the stone ages. You think HD has the guts to work the middle? He's better on the outside.

People who still at this point don't realize what the defense is going to be lose all credibility.

Guest MikeKennHOF

The last sentence claiming everything else is garbage pretty much destroys all credibility for your post ...

Well, except for the fact that everyone else IS garbage. Hageman and Southward might get their act together and play hard and contribute; or they might not. But every other late pick is a complete waste of camp time. 4 worthless no-talent lb's. /smh

The problem is Evan Silva doesn't understand that we don't want a replacement for Tony G.

We will be changing that part of the offensive scheme to bolster the running game.

We will become a team that's more balanced. With Tony G, because he was a great receiver and a meh blocker he was a asset to our passing game.

But with Roddy and Julio on the outside we can take a hit from our passing game to help out our running game.

Losing Tony is always looked at as a negative to our passing game but nobody ever mentions or realizes how it can positively affect our running game with better blocking

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Guest MikeKennHOF

People who still at this point don't realize what the defense is going to be lose all credibility.

I am a lot more concerned with the complete lack of anything resembling an NFL pass rusher, than I am abojt my credibility.

If you were a REAL fan, you would.be as well.

Tell me, whoch of our 4 craptastic new lb's do you have pegged as the next Lawrence Taylor?

Well, except for the fact that everyone else IS garbage. Hageman and Southward might get their act together and play hard and contribute; or they might not. But every other late pick is a complete waste of camp time. 4 worthless no-talent lb's. /smh

What makes you think that the 4 LBs is a waste of camp time?

Smallwood was being projected as 3rd round pick before running a bad 40 time due to him injuring his hamstring during one of the 40 runs.

The problem is Evan Silva doesn't understand that we don't want a replacement for Tony G.

We will be changing that part of the offensive scheme to bolster the running game.

We will become a team that's more balanced. With Tony G, because he was a great receiver and a meh blocker he was a asset to our passing game.

But with Roddy and Julio on the outside we can take a hit from our passing game to help out our running game.

Losing Tony is always looked at as a negative to our passing game but nobody ever mentions or realizes how it can positively affect our running game with netter blocking

I doubt that very much. They were looking at some of the top TEs but were gunning for OT and front seven with the first two picks. Once Fiedorowicz was taken before our 3rd round pick there weren't any TEs left that were worth taken so they went elsewhere. It was also not helped by an extremely weak TE free agent class. They'll just adjust to the TE weakness for 2014 and most likely get a worthwhile starting TE next year.

What makes you think that the 4 LBs is a waste of camp time?

Smallwood was being projected as 3rd round pick before running a bad 40 time due to him injuring his hamstring during one of the 40 runs.

Man this Smallwood kid on some of the game tapes I looked at is a solid player.

I think him and Shembo will end up being decent steals.

Smallwood's coverage and instincts are top notch.

I doubt that very much. They were looking at some of the top TEs but were gunning for OT and front seven with the first two picks. Once Fiedorowicz was taken before our 3rd round pick there weren't any TEs left that were worth taken so they went elsewhere. It was also not helped by an extremely weak TE free agent class. They'll just adjust to the TE weakness for 2014 and most likely get a worthwhile starting TE next year.

I dont think so. That's not to say they won't reevaluate it based on how this year goes.

I'm not saying that the Falcons weren't looking to fill TE but I am saying they weren't looking for a Tony G clone.

This article is focusing on a replacement for Tony G.

I think we were looking for a blocking TE that can catch in a pinch. Basically Ben Hartsock that can catch just a wee bit better but can block just as well.

That's why they were looking at CJ