What If Lamar Holmes Plays Really Well At Lt?

I think its almost a given that Sam Baker will either struggle or get injured. And I believe Holmes will get another crack at that LT position.

Its really no shock that he struggled young tackles tend to struggle and he learned a ton.

So seems like he and Konz have lived in the weight room this off season. I think if Holmes got stronger and dropped to around 310-315 he play would really improve. I though he played well at times showed he can handle speed rushers as well as bull rushers its just consistency.

If he starts at LT and plays really well(assuming baker is injured or struggled) do you leave Matthews at RT? This is why I would start Matthews at LT day 1 because your depending on a guy who has either been injured or struggled in 5 out of his 6 seasons. And if Holmes played really well I'm not sure you want to pull a guy who still really young(24) and has LT talent.

It would be a really good problem to have and I hope Mike Smith learned his lesson last year with Konz because Hawley should have been in there at center much much eariler. So if Baker was out played I wouldn't hesitate One bit to start a young guy.

And for those saying he played so bad last year its not possible for him to improve that much. Young tackles tend to struggle Eric Fisher was nearly as bad as Holmes and his ceiling is still high.

Holmes really didn't get a break last year the guys he faced was Cam Jordan,Robert Quinn, Mahumand Wilkerson,Chandler Jones,John Abraham,Greg Hardy,Ardian Clayborn,Mario Williams,Clay Matthews,Brian Arakpo and others.

The only game he really didn't have to go against an elite rusher was the Dolphins game.

I think he learned a ton from going against those guys and I think he likely will be a much improved player.

I'm glad the Falcons really took nothing for granted they very easily could have said they believe in Holmes and not gone tackle at 6. But what this does is it practically Ends Bakers time with the Falcons if he doesn't stay healthy I fully expect Holmes or Schraeder maybe even Johnson to take that job. I wouldn't even be shocked if they went with Holmes out of camp from a talent stand point Holmes is a far more talented player.

I think people forget that Lamar Holmes was a project development type of player he wasn't supposed to step in day one and play great. This is how it was supposed to go he even got time at both tackle spots last season.

I think that horrible season has really lit a fire under some of these young guys there are so many spots open to competition I won't be shocked if we have a few guys that improve into impact players.

Toilolo,Holmes,Alford,Motta,Mass, are a couple that showed flashes and struggled at times but learned a lot this is really something we haven't had in the past either in a lot of young players with upside.

We can only hope Holmes comes in ready to go and ball out. That he reaches that potential he has.

IF he can do that and we move on from Baker the only other position that is aging is LG. We may need a center as well but we could really be on our way to a very good young oline IF Holmes steps up.

But we will see.

All of your points are flawed.Holmes isnt young as you claim. He was drafted in 2012 meaning he already has 2 training camps under his belt to "learn" as you say and in those 2 camps he should have known to be in shape. You also cannot compare Holmes, a 3rd round project, to Fisher, a top 5 pick, who was a true rookie last year with massive talent.

Holmes is bad, dream on that he will develop into something more than an emergency backup journeyman.

You guys give up too easily on these players. Trust me, I feel the frustration. I was screaming at him throughout most of the season last year because he was garbage but by the end of the season (after he moved to LT) most of my frustration was pointed at the RG and RT position with the turnstile at RG and Shraeder/Trueblood at RT. Holmes, although not impressive at LT, didn't make me scream at him as much. He's still very very young and was a 3rd round pick that could have been had in the 4th in all likelihood. I'm not saying he's going to be good, I'm just saying it's too soon to tell and he at least looked good on enough plays last year to make me think there's possibility there.

You guys give up too easily on these players. Trust me, I feel the frustration. I was screaming at him throughout most of the season last year because he was garbage but by the end of the season (after he moved to LT) most of my frustration was pointed at the RG and RT position with the turnstile at RG and Shraeder/Trueblood at RT. Holmes, although not impressive at LT, didn't make me scream at him as much. He's still very very young and was a 3rd round pick that could have been had in the 4th in all likelihood. I'm not saying he's going to be good, I'm just saying it's too soon to tell and he at least looked good on enough plays last year to make me think there's possibility there.

That Was point is he was a project type player when drafted

So it was supposed to happen like that and the falcons also didn't help there offense any by trying to run the ball either even if they sucked they still should of had a better commitment to running it and it would have opened up the screens and passing games as well as slowed down the pass rush.

NOs LTs struggled last year and likely will struggle again this year the bears young tackle Jordan Mills struggled big time as well and that's was next to a pro bowl guard Eric fisher was another Jocekel got Moore traded he was so bad at RT.

He11 the Rams know Greg Robinson will struggle big time at LT in pass protection so there going to bump him inside and I do believe they will regret passing on Matthews for Robinson.

That Was point is he was a project type player when drafted

So it was supposed to happen like that and the falcons also didn't help there offense any by trying to run the ball either even if they sucked they still should of had a better commitment to running it and it would have opened up the screens and passing games as well as slowed down the pass rush.

NOs LTs struggled last year and likely will struggle again this year the bears young tackle Jordan Mills struggled big time as well and that's was next to a pro bowl guard Eric fisher was another Jocekel got Moore traded he was so bad at RT.

He11 the Rams know Greg Robinson will struggle big time at LT in pass protection so there going to bump him inside and I do believe they will regret passing on Matthews for Robinson.

I know, I'm agreeing with you.

I just think too many people are ready to give up on a guy who doesn't deserve that QUITE yet. Just call me an optimist if you must but it's the way I see it.

Edited by AtlantaFanatic

I know, I'm agreeing with you.

I just think too many people are ready to give up on a guy who doesn't deserve that QUITE yet. Just call me an optimist if you must but it's the way I see it.

Yup

I'd say Holmes probably won't even look the same I think he hit the weight room hard this off season I think if he got stronger and got quicker he could be a really really good tackke. If he dropped about 20 lbs it likely would solve his stamina issues.

Guest MikeKennHOF

I don't want ANY of the sad-sack losers from last year's line even on the roster. When not one of them made a single move to defend or avenge Matt Ryan after Vaccaro's dirty hit, I realized they just don't care.

Its not a matter of talent. Holmes has the talent to be a very good tackle. But every single lineman on the field that day demonstrated a lack of fire, pride, guts, or professionalism.

Standing there, hands on hips, while a rookie db of the Saints gets up after a late, dirty hit is unforgivable and inexcusable.

I don't want ANY of the sad-sack losers from last year's line even on the roster. When not one of them made a single move to defend or avenge Matt Ryan after Vaccaro's dirty hit, I realized they just don't care.

Its not a matter of talent. Holmes has the talent to be a very good tackle. But every single lineman on the field that day demonstrated a lack of fire, pride, guts, or professionalism.

Standing there, hands on hips, while a rookie db of the Saints gets up after a late, dirty hit is unforgivable and inexcusable.

That's on Smith and his coaching style

I predict Holmes will have a good season. No I'm not on anything illegal. Reasons= If he has any type of pride all that has been said about him he should be ready to battle. Mike Tice may be able to make him a player. He has seen the new FA that the NFL has put in place. He can make money when his time comes or he can lose a lot of money. Hopefully we will have better guard play. The new TE will stay to block instead of being one of our best receivers. Holmes will be better. I think he better be! I'm predicting P. Jerry will have a good year too.

The top 5 play.

With that said, if/when Baker goes down Jake will be first in line to move to LT if he is playing well. I am expecting him to get cross trained there in camps even.

I would LOVE to see our youngsters turn the corner and know our line is set for the future. Dream scenario is these guys shine and play weel enought to become our line in a couple seasons:

LT: Matthews

LG - Konz

OC - Hawley

RG - Asamoah

RT - Holmes/Schreader

The top 5 play.

With that said, if/when Baker goes down Jake will be first in line to move to LT if he is playing well. I am expecting him to get cross trained there in camps even.

I would LOVE to see our youngsters turn the corner and know our line is set for the future. Dream scenario is these guys shine and play weel enought to become our line in a couple seasons:

LT: Matthews

LG - Konz

OC - Hawley

RG - Asamoah

RT - Holmes/Schreader

LG is Blalock...