Three Big Dudes

I am a simple guy. When I talk about tires, I am talking about pneumatic rubber products that keep my car rolling. I really don't get into conversations about their ratings. As long as they perform well, I occupy myself with other matters.

When I talk about football defenses, I don't talk much about stunts, shades or coverages. I just want to see my defense shut their offense down. Some dispensing of humiliation is always welcomed, but in the end, I don't really care about the finer details, I just want to kick butt.

To that end, can we decide on a name for our Falcon defense? You know, for the simple folk, like myself.

This whole off season, our coaches and FO have taken great pains to deny basing the defense out of the 3-4. There has been a lot of talk about a defense that will keep offenses guessing. But, at some point, a defense has to play and it has to do what it does best. We don't have many traditional 4-3 DE's. The only guy that qualifies is Osi, and he is past his prime. What we do have is a bunch of athletic LB-types and several big bodies to stack in front of them.

No matter what Smitty says, no matter how Tommy spins it, most of the time, we will see three big DL's and four athletes behind them. We may cheat a LB up to the line or we may rotate a smaller DT into the mix (Babs), but under it all, the foundation of our defense will come from three big dudes dominating at the LOS. So, instead of getting hung up on calling a defense a 3-4 or a hybrid, why not come up with a different name?

How about this: the TBD defense (three big dudes).

No LEO, no 3-4, and certainly, no Amoeba. From now on, TBD Defense. We can shorten it to TBD2

We can even shorten it to: BIGZ, if you want.

I'm excited going forward looking at what our defense can become, we ranked at/near the bottom in stopping the run, and with the upgrade, no doubt we should move up at least to the upper 15 teams in run defense, what I wish we can get better at is the running game, the O line is better, but who knows which Sam Baker we'll be getting, In the Reeves days running the ball was huge in controlling the clock, which we were at the top in time of possession, if we get back to that, our D will be fresher, we've improved in both lines yes but again injuries are the only thing that could potentially keep us from a return to the playoffs, I'm excited about this upcoming season and will look forward to being at training camp.

Correct. If we can run the ball, it would help Matt Ryan tremendously. He's proven that even though he throws short passes for 300+ yds. its still not enough balanced offense to win tough games. Jake Matthews is a pass protector, and im not sure what Jon Asamoah is. So i really dont know who is gonna open up the running game for us. My opinion is that we should have drafted a road grader guard.

As far as the defense goes, maybe these big three can keep blockers off our linebackers and we can make some tackles up closer to the line of scrimmage. Idk, after last years "quit" I saw in this team, Im not sure what to expect.

Feel free to count the tackles, on the line, at each snap this season, and see whether or not we have 3 DTs out there, "most of the time." Somehow, I get the feeling that, if you do, you and many others here, will be quite disappointed.

I am a simple guy. When I talk about tires, I am talking about pneumatic rubber products that keep my car rolling. I really don't get into conversations about their ratings. As long as they perform well, I occupy myself with other matters.

When I talk about football defenses, I don't talk much about stunts, shades or coverages. I just want to see my defense shut their offense down. Some dispensing of humiliation is always welcomed, but in the end, I don't really care about the finer details, I just want to kick butt.

To that end, can we decide on a name for our Falcon defense? You know, for the simple folk, like myself.

This whole off season, our coaches and FO have taken great pains to deny basing the defense out of the 3-4. There has been a lot of talk about a defense that will keep offenses guessing. But, at some point, a defense has to play and it has to do what it does best. We don't have many traditional 4-3 DE's. The only guy that qualifies is Osi, and he is past his prime. What we do have is a bunch of athletic LB-types and several big bodies to stack in front of them.

No matter what Smitty says, no matter how Tommy spins it, most of the time, we will see three big DL's and four athletes behind them. We may cheat a LB up to the line or we may rotate a smaller DT into the mix (Babs), but under it all, the foundation of our defense will come from three big dudes dominating at the LOS. So, instead of getting hung up on calling a defense a 3-4 or a hybrid, why not come up with a different name?

How about this: the TBD defense (three big dudes).

No LEO, no 3-4, and certainly, no Amoeba. From now on, TBD Defense. We can shorten it to TBD2

We can even shorten it to: BIGZ, if you want.

If you're talking about Hageman, Solioai and Rumph i will certainly agree, but I would call it "THE BULL LINE"

Is saying 3-4 a sin among falcon fans? I swear most of you fans have gotten so comfortable with being mediocre that a change to a 3-4 is terrifying. You don't get soliai, Jackson and hageman to be a 4-3 or hybrid ********

Every time someone mentions a switch to the 3-4, an avalanche of responses blast the OP. I figured that changing the name makes life a lot easier.

Correct. If we can run the ball, it would help Matt Ryan tremendously. He's proven that even though he throws short passes for 300+ yds. its still not enough balanced offense to win tough games. Jake Matthews is a pass protector, and im not sure what Jon Asamoah is. So i really dont know who is gonna open up the running game for us. My opinion is that we should have drafted a road grader guard.

As far as the defense goes, maybe these big three can keep blockers off our linebackers and we can make some tackles up closer to the line of scrimmage. Idk, after last years "quit" I saw in this team, Im not sure what to expect.

Agree with most of the above, except the quit part. I think our guys played to their fullest. The Ryan slide is infamous, but I am over it.

Guest King Jigsaw

I've had more creative money shots than some of the corny stuff some people would have us use. Seriously over the "everything has to have a nickname trend" that goes on here.