Why The Hageman Pick Makes Sense

He admitted to it lol

I've known since Day One, playing D-tackle, my pad level sucks. My hip mobility, my ankle mobility ... sometimes I take plays off," he said.

Clowney said he didn't work hard, you're more than happy to mortgage the farm for him. Difference is, if TD is wrong about Hageman, he wasted a 2nd round pick.

If you're wrong about Clowney, you've wasted 2-3 1sts and a couple of 2nds.

So, you spend years complaining about TD giving away picks and not being able to build the lines, and when he has an off season where he keeps his picks builds the lines, you complain about that. TD just can't win with you.

Can you believe the Peria Jerry will be 30 years old in August? That's what happens when you draft a 25 year old! On the other side of 30 after just 5 seasons. Wow!

If Jerry had stayed healthy, nobody would be complaining about Jerry, except Swift, because he complains about everything TD does.

Clowney said he didn't work hard, you're more than happy to mortgage the farm for him. Difference is, if TD is wrong about Hageman, he wasted a 2nd round pick.

If you're wrong about Clowney, you've wasted 2-3 1sts and a couple of 2nds.

So, you spend years complaining about TD giving away picks and not being able to build the lines, and when he has an off season where he keeps his picks builds the lines, you complain about that. TD just can't win with you.

Where did Clowney state he didnt work hard ? or was that the media ?

I think their defense takes them to the playoffs. If Bradford can perform just enough with the weapons he has, they can go a long way with that front.

Their defense only takes them to playoffs if the O-Line can keep Bradford off of his ***. Think about two years ago when they had 12 different O Linemen starting at different points of the year. They still have a way to go.

Like many of you, when we picked Hageman in the 2nd, I scratched my head. Attaochu, Van Noy, and Ealy were still there. “Why are we passing on the rushers?” I thought.

The more thought about it though, it made sense.

First, there were only a limited number of true edge rushers in this draft. While the overall class was deep, the number of edge rushers was limited. Think about Day 1 rushers: Clowney, Mack, and Barr are obvious. Ford was seen as the next best guy, and we tried to trade up but it cost too much. Smith then was picked in the mid-20s (a bit of a reach for a situational rusher), and Lawrence (another guy that we had our eye on) went at the top of the 2nd round. Unless we were willing to part with a 3rd rounder in a deep draft, there were no trade partners to move up.

Next, let’s look at the value of Hageman vs. Attaochu, Van Noy, or Ealy. Hageman has the potential to be a three down lineman. A gap filler on run downs, and someone with the size and athleticism to collapse the pocket on 3rd and long. While it is mostly “potential” at this point, his athleticism has been compared to Richard Seymour in his prime. It is a bit of a gamble, but if it pays off, then you’ve got a starting d-lineman, instead of a starting linebacker. Given the choice, you always invest in the guys in the trenches, especially big bodies that can play in multiple fronts.

Regarding the guys we didn’t pick: I would have really liked the Attaochu pick, as he’s shown the ability to get QBs to the ground. Van Noy would also have been a great pick, but he isn’t a pure “rusher.” He’s more of 3-down linebacker who can bring heat on blitzes. Ealy is a 4-3 end, and is not athletic enough to play standing up in 3-4 looks, and would have been limited by scheme. My personal feeling is that the coach’s didn’t see a huge upgrade vs. what we already have, in these guys. In other words, there were no obvious upgrades over Osi, Kroy, or Mass.

At the end of the day, we now have the ability (at least on paper) to field a true 3-4/3-3-5 line. Between Hageman, Soliai, and Jackson, we have completely rebuilt the d-line, and should be able hold the point of attack.

Also, considering all the needs we had, as well as the lack of depth, I don’t think that one off-season could have addressed each and every need. We still need a TE that holds safeties in the middle of the field, and we still need more depth and competition along the interior O-line. All that being said, the front office did a great job of fixing what they could.

I for one am going to get behind them now, instead of complaining about what we don’t have or didn’t pick. Its time now to support this team.

Good input.

I think Hageman will prove to be the best DT available, and that's what we've been needing for a long time coming. Very happy to have Solioai, Hageman and Rumph along with what we already have. This front should be in beast mode all season long.