The 22Nd Pick

atljbo

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/13/nfl-draft-johnny-manziel-teddy-bridgewater/

The Draft’s Catch-22

An impeccable NFL source told me this on Monday night:

The Eagles, who held the 22nd pick in the draft, informed teams after several players they loved at 22 were snatched—LSU wideout Odell Beckham, who went 12th to the Giants, and Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller, who went 14th to Chicago, among others—that they were auctioning the choice.

Six teams inquired about pick number 22. Philadelphia got four solid offers.

Though it was reported by Jay Glazer that the Vikings and Browns jousted for the 22nd pick (absolutely true), they were not alone. The source said that another team, not Minnesota, was the leader in the clubhouse when Eagles GM Howie Roseman told Cleveland GM Ray Farmer with three minutes left in the 10-minute draft period that he had to make a better offer than the one Cleveland had on the table.

Minnesota and Cleveland wanted Johnny Manziel. But it’s clear that the second-place finisher, which already had a good quarterback, wanted another player at 22. I wish I knew that other team. I do not. I don’t believe it is Houston.

Cleveland, as I reported Monday in my column, did sweeten its offer to move up from 26 to 22, by improving its last offer to the 26th pick and 83rd overall. (I don’t know what Cleveland’s offer was before this, but GM Ray Farmer had less than 30 seconds to improve it to Philadelphia’s satisfaction, and he did.)

If Farmer didn’t include the mid-third-round pick in the deal, Philadelphia absolutely would have made the deal with Team Unknown for the 22nd pick. Cleveland would have had to move on. In that case, Cleveland would have called Kansas City at 23 and Cincinnati at 24 to try to get a deal done. I am told Kansas City would have been receptive to an offer for the 23rd pick, but Cincinnati, in love with cornerback Darqueze Dennard, would have held onto the pick.

The finish line: Cleveland won. The anonymous team seeking a player other than Manziel finished second. Minnesota was third—obviously because the Vikings didn’t want to include the 2015 first-round pick. (I don’t blame them.) The Eagles would have likely made that trade knowing the three or four players they liked at 22 would have been gone at 40. And another anonymous team finished fourth.

We pretty much know we was that team.. TD basically said it... I guess that why Smitty seemed a animated about couldnt find a "**** dance partner"... Ford was picked with the next pick.

I wanted Ford bad but i Like Hageman and his potential as a 2nd rounder with a 1st round talent ... We will also see what Southward can do (i think he will be our starting FS eventually)

Maybe Van Noy surprise me but i dont get the Van Noy ultra love... Im not saying he is not a good football player .. To me hs is... I dont see him as a difference maker tho .. I actually like his coverage ability for us the most ... ill Take Hageman over him... I like the potential impact guy

Not saying Van Noy is not a good LB... I dont see nothing special besides his football attitude.... Dude plays hard

Its easy to say Hageman was a good pick now

We could look back at this in maybe even a year and say it worked out great or we can look back and say man was it worth an extra 3rd or 4th to get a elite pass rusher in Dee Ford.

Heck maybe we look back at this in three seasons and should have taken Kony Ealy there in round two.

We don't know right now but I like Hageman's potential and upside its more so how good does he want to be he maybe could be the best player from this draft because Clowney can't play inside and outside in either defense and be a dominate player. Let's just hope Hageman has that work ethic and want and let's hope the same thing that happened to jerry doesn't happen to Hageman.

Who knows we didn't get a steal in Tyler Starr or Prince Shembo?

Having watched quite a bit of him at BYU, it's his ability to do everything. He's effective against the run, has a tremendous repertoire of skills when it comes to rushing the passer, and can cover the tight end with great effectiveness. He's still rather raw as a pass rusher, but has plenty of room for improvement.

I have to.. for years... Since Ziggy was there.... I agree.. He is very solid at mostly everything.. does everything well... If he was there in the 3rd.. I would... I just think his speed and everything he does is ok/well

Not downing the guy tho.. I think he will be a solid LB/ potentially good LB ... Dont see special LB

I have to.. for years... Since Ziggy was there.... I agree.. He is very solid at mostly everything.. does everything well... If he was there in the 3rd.. I would... I just think his speed and everything he does is ok/well

Not downing the guy tho.. I think he will be a solid LB/ potentially good LB ... Dont see special LB

Actually Ziggy is pretty limited in his rush skills he has a speed rush and a bull rush if he starts adding better hand usage and dips spin moves outside in move he could be one of the best but he really doesn't that many moves.

But he is a freak athlete and that was good enough for him to get like 8 sacks last year but the sky is the limit if he adds some more moves.

Actually Ziggy is pretty limited in his rush skills he has a speed rush and a bull rush if he starts adding better hand usage and dips spin moves outside in move he could be one of the best but he really doesn't that many moves.

But he is a freak athlete and that was good enough for him to get like 8 sacks last year but the sky is the limit if he adds some more moves.

Wasntreally talking about Ziggy .. Just saying i start looking at Van Noy because i was interested in Ziggy .. Ziggy was a straight bullrush guy at BYU.. Dude had heavy stong hands... But he was raw... Hasnt played the position long ..

Ziggy had a solid year... Like i said he is raw but he did put up 8 sacks

Off subject ... I cant wait until one of our draft prospects put up 8 or more sacks..... Come on Mass

If we would have given up next year's 1st rounder and change for Dee Ford, I don't know what my reaction would have been. Thank goodness we stuck to our guns and used our own picks accordingly.

I think a better value would have been to

Take Matthews even if mack was there take Hageman were we got him and then jump up and grab Ealy sense he was falling he would have given Nolan even more versatility.

Just my take if anything the draft has shown is the guys labeled 1st rounds always sound better because everyone knows them by the time the draft rolls around. I like Ealy more because he was 6-5 and 270 could have played a number of roles in either sets. But who's to say Tyler Starr doesn't become a good pass rusher? Who knew about Paul Worrilow or Joplo Bartu both those guys go in the 2nd Worrilow may even slide into the late 1st if there was a redraft. I think if you have very good scouts you can find a pass rusher just last year we found Johnson,Worrilow and Bartu and have had Brent Grimes and McClain as well. Point is there is talent out there if you know what your looking for.