Mel Kiper Early-Impact Rookies

atljbo

Dezmen Southward could start immediately at safety for the Falcons. Zeke Motta could be the guy he needs to beat out, and Southward is the more talented player.

Devonta Freeman, RB, Atlanta

Steven Jackson will be 31 and coming off a year where he averaged 3.5 yards per carry -- a career low. If you think that doesn't exactly crown Freeman as the starter, consider that Atlanta hasn't taken an RB in the first four rounds since 2006. They like Freeman, and they know how to draft at the position. Jacquizz Rodgers is still around, but don't be surprised if the durable Freeman gets a shot.

The Falcons need pass-rush help, and I don't think they would have drafted Prince Shembo where they did if they don't think he can help relatively soon.

Hageman, Freeman, and Shembo...are my steals(favs) for this draft.

I liked Matthews(impact rookie), but that choice was always obvious to me...at #6.

I'm praying the Southward pick will work...thought we could've got better value at that slot. I hate it when it feels like we chase a need...we'll see.

I wanted 2 instant impact players, and I think I got that with Hageman/Matthews and 2 solid depth picks with Freeman/Shembo...Southward hopefully will

be a surprise and make TD look smart.

Happy fan overall this off-season.

I liked Matthews(impact rookie), but that choice was always obvious to me...at #6.

I'm praying the Southward pick will work...thought we could've got better value at that slot. I hate it when it feels like we chase a need...we'll see.

I wanted 2 instant impact players, and I think I got that with Hageman/Matthews and 2 solid depth picks with Freeman/Shembo...Southward hopefully will

Couldn't have said it better myself...Agreed!

If Ricardo Allen gets decent playing time then I think he could have a nice impact in his first year. He's really physical and has great ball skills too. If our front 7 can generate as much pressure as we're hoping and if the QB is lucky enough to escape a sack and have to force a throw, we've got a pretty deep group of corners who could really make the QB suffer for forcing a throw.

Dezmen Southward could start immediately at safety for the Falcons. Zeke Motta could be the guy he needs to beat out, and Southward is the more talented player.

Why would he say this, does he not know we signed Lowery ? I would rather ease DS in, if we force him too early we could get major torched until he gets his feet under him

Unless he just blows up in camps & preseason, I'd like to see him in 3 Safety sets to start off with. I think he'll be really good, but he'll need some extra attention in meetings and film room to get up to speed... but he's supposed to be smart, so hopefully he grasps everything quickly.

I agree.

I agree about S-Jax but I think that Southward has a chance to beat out Lowery in camp and presason if he performs well.

He'd have to win hands down in camp which is really tough for a rookie. No way we have a rookie fs starting out of the gate. It probably won't be till atkeast game 6-10.

Couldn't agree more Toker.

On that note, our biggest weakness last year as a group was the O and D-Lines and if you aren't happy with this offseason, you are just looking for the negatives in things.

Like wise but I would also have to say Starr as well