Jon Asamoah - Secret Super Star

Pretty interesting read wasn't sure if its been posted before

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/28/secret-superstar-jon-asamoah/

Seems like Asamoah is a great pass protector and improving run blocker as in the article above PFF expected a huge leap from Asamoah but a calf injury hampered him most of last year.

Seems like we could of gotten a real bargain in what we paid Asamoah as he's one of the best pass protectors and his run blocking has improved greatly.

Given he'll play next to Matthews and I think given his talent he just might find his way onto the pro bowl roster the NFC doesn't have any great two way guards (maybe Carl Nicks but he's coming off some major injuries)

I would have to think Steven Jackson can't wait to get on the feild this year as he'll be running behind a much improved line.

I'm not ready to hype him up until I see him on the field, but no freaking way is he worse than what we had at RG last year.

Buy NFL Game Rewind. I'd say it's worth it and you probably waste $20 on worse crap a month.

I'm stoked as could be. The only thing that really worries me is how long can Baker stay healthy? (Do NOT want to make this a Baker thread)

What's the odds of him getting hurt again?? Does he have a specific chronic injury? I forget what his problem was before last year... was it his back?

Man, if Baker can stay healthy and turn in another 2012, that's good enough for me, contract aside.

Edited by Mr. Lubba Lubba©

I'm very hopeful that Hawley can man Center and Asamoah and Matthews can lock down the right side. If that trifecta happens, I believe I'll see the offense i've been expecting to see for the last 3 years. If we can just have a legitimate run game, with just a smidgen bit better pass protection we will light up the scoreboard.

What's the odds of him getting hurt again?? Does he have a specific chronic injury? I forget what his problem was before last year... was it his back?

Man, if Baker can stay healthy and turn in another 2012, that's good enough for me, contract aside.

Asamoah learned his rookie year behind Brian Waters and started only one game he played and started in 31 games the next two seasons then last year had the calf injury and never was put back in the starting line up playing only one game.

Asamoah is a elite level pass protector and there other guard was a elite run blocker so they stuck with him over Asamoah as there a run heavy offense.

I like the guy. I want him to succeed. I actually love that it's him I'm worried about because if he does stay healthy we're golden. We'll have the best Oline to date for Matt Ryan I think. I think he is fully capable of it too.

Hopefully, Mike Johnson returns at 100% this season. That way, if Baker gets hurt, we can switch Matthews to LT and have Johnson start at RT. If for no other reason than depth, we're much improved than we were last year.

Curious about Johnson too. We know he's better than Holmes as he was slated to start at RT.

Hopefully, Mike Johnson returns at 100% this season. That way, if Baker gets hurt, we can switch Matthews to LT and have Johnson start at RT. If for no other reason than depth, we're much improved than we were last year.

THIS!!!!! if Johnson comes back healthy and we get all our OL back we got some serious depth. CHEERS to hoping so!

Yeah BABY!!!! Count me in too as one stoked, fired up fan. I can't wait to see the right side of this line FINALLY playing at an NFL level.

Our only problem is Baker. Sorry guys but does anyone really believe he is going to last the season? NO! WAY! I really hope some miracle occurs where he plays healthy all season, but a guy who has been injured every season except for one, does not suddenly become injury free after 6 years of getting pounded on in the trenches.

We have to hope someone can step up (omg we have to trust Holmes again?) and take over the RT spot after Matthews gets moved to LT when the inevitable happens.

Regardless, we are in MUCH better shape this year. Plus, I just can't see Tice fielding such an unprepared line as we saw last year even without the injuries. We are gonna be balling this year.

I'm very hopeful that Hawley can man Center and Asamoah and Matthews can lock down the right side. If that trifecta happens, I believe I'll see the offense i've been expecting to see for the last 3 years. If we can just have a legitimate run game, with just a smidgen bit better pass protection we will light up the scoreboard.

Agreed.

Would'nt it be great to let Matt stand back there and go through more than 2 progressions on a consistent basis instead of 3 step drop and out she goes.

It was his back, but supposedly that got fixed before last year and is good as new, according to him. I don't recall what his injury was last year but it isn't chronic, no reason to think he'll get injured again.

As for Asamoah, i still consider him to be the most under appreciated signing of the offseason on these boards. People have forgotten what a good RG can do for an o-line. They'll remember this year.

It was his back, but supposedly that got fixed before last year and is good as new, according to him. I don't recall what his injury was last year but it isn't chronic, no reason to think he'll get injured again.

As for Asamoah, i still consider him to be the most under appreciated signing of the offseason on these boards. People have forgotten what a good RG can do for an o-line. They'll remember this year.

Well it will lighten the load for the center or right tackle but having matthews out there will be awesome and will help tremendously

Am I the Only one not sold on Blalock? He gets man handled on bull rushes alot and we couldn't run to the left side either. He needs someone to push him for his job. Kind of wish we would have kept our 5th and drafted David Yankey(5th round pick) to push him.

I was hoping for the same. We have had a lousy OL for several years. During that time, Blalock has been our best blocker. Unfortunately, that does not mean that JB should be our long term answer. The reason I am a little down on Blalock is that he disappoints us in the running game. So much so, that we rarely run behind him in short yardage situations. You would think that if our best OL is a guard, we would have no qualms about running behind him is those situations.

Mike Tice uses a lot of zone blocking techniques. Asamoah excels in zone blocking schemes and hopefully, the same will be said about Blalock. I'd like to finally see us convert third and short. I think that our run offense is vital to the success of our team. If we have solved the run blocking problems, we will be bound for the play offs. IF we see more of the same, we will fail.

I was hoping for the same. We have had a lousy OL for several years. During that time, Blalock has been our best blocker. Unfortunately, that does not mean that JB should be our long term answer. The reason I am a little down on Blalock is that he disappoints us in the running game. So much so, that we rarely run behind him in short yardage situations. You would think that if our best OL is a guard, we would have no qualms about running behind him is those situations.

Mike Tice uses a lot of zone blocking techniques. Asamoah excels in zone blocking schemes and hopefully, the same will be said about Blalock. I'd like to finally see us convert third and short. I think that our run offense is vital to the success of our team. If we have solved the run blocking problems, we will be bound for the play offs. IF we see more of the same, we will fail.

Exactly is his run blocking is suspect..