People Don't Realize How Close We Were To Completely Missing...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also reports are we were considering trading up to #3 for him. But nope, all the cards fell our way and he fell to the Falcons.

I don't believe that at all. They liked Lewan a lot too and were making calls at #6. They wouldn't have done that if they were trying to trade up for Matthews. They would have thanked their lucky stars that he fell, and picked quickly.

I just don't think they want to admit they wanted Mack too. They'd rather people think they got a steal rather than failed to trade and had their guy snatched right before the pick (though both are true, they did still get a steal).

Edited by B3TD

I feel like I'm the only one who liked the Jags pick of Bortles. They're not going to compete any time soon so they might as well get the QB with by far the most upside in the class to coach up and build up the team in the meantime.

I don't hate Bortles but he could have been had later. I feel a strong reason they took him was because of Caldwell's influence ( he was here for the Ryan pick). Hope that works out well for them, it certainly helped us out.

I don't hate Bortles but he could have been had later. I feel a strong reason they took him was because of Caldwell's influence ( he was here for the Ryan pick). Hope that works out well for them, it certainly helped us out.

I doubt it. The Vikings were geared to trade up for him if he fell. The Jags taking Bortles likely killed any hope of us trading down.

I don't think you realize how close we were to getting Mack!! Reports that the Raiders were deciding between him and Mike Evans.

But I'm happy with Jake, at least we didn't reach for Anthony Barr.

Edited by HEI5T

I doubt it. The Vikings were geared to trade up for him if he fell. The Jags taking Bortles likely killed any hope of us trading down.

Either way it would have been a reach. Reaching on QB is how you end up with the 2011 QB class (Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker). You know what they say, desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Edited by SaintsBountyBowlChamps

Either way it would have been a reach. Reaching on QB is how you end up with the 2011 QB class (Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker). You know what they say, desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Bortles was not a reach. He has everything you look for in an early 1st round caliber QB but just needs some extra polish. Other prospects like Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker had gaping voids in their games and were generally considered 2nd-3rd round prospects but teams desperate for QBs took them much earlier thanks in part to the then newly established rookie salary cap. Teams have subsequently learned their lessons.

Bortles was not a reach. He has everything you look for in an early 1st round caliber QB but just needs some extra polish. Other prospects like Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker had gaping voids in their games and were generally considered 2nd-3rd round prospects but teams desperate for QBs took them much earlier thanks in part to the then newly established rookie salary cap. Teams have subsequently learned their lessons.

He is extremely raw and universally considered to be late 1st-later round material. The consensus is that he absolutely was a reach. Bortles has severe holes in his game, not top of the 1st or even 1st round material period. If the Jags were going to go QB TB should have been the pick

He is extremely raw and universally considered to be late 1st-later round material. The consensus is that he absolutely was a reach. Bortles has severe holes in his game, not top of the 1st or even 1st round material period. If the Jags were going to go QB TB should have been the pick

He was considered a top 10 prospect by most unless you're counting sites like WalterFootball or stuff like ESPN, both of which are irrelevant in my books. He's raw but not extremely so. He'll need a redshirt year but his potential makes that worthwhile and it gives the team the chance to build the talent around him before sending him out. Being raw does not preclude a prospect from being a top pick, especially at the keystone position.

He was considered a top 10 prospect by most unless you're counting sites like WalterFootball or stuff like ESPN, both of which are irrelevant in my books. He's raw but not extremely so. He'll need a redshirt year but his potential makes that worthwhile and it gives the team the chance to build the talent around him before sending him out. Being raw does not preclude a prospect from being a top pick, especially at the keystone position.

That's the point though, the point of being a top 3 QB pick is that you are polished with few holes in your game. That is not the case with Bortles. He is far too raw and flawed to have been a top 3 pick. He went way too high because a combination of need and hype . Jags fell in love and took him because they felt that was their guy. That doesn't make it any less of a reach though.