You Just Might Get Your Antone Smith Wish This Season

JOEinPHX

To be honest, I always smirked a little at the hue and cry around here for Pahokee to get more carries. Thing is, he just didn't meet the minimum requirements.

Like just about any NFL QB, Matt Ryan has the option to audible into or out of any play he wants. But if he wants to audible out of a run and into a pass, he likely needs pass pro help from his running back. That was especially true in 2013 when he couldn't count on his line and didn't have a blocking tight end. If his back couldn't help out either, he lost the audible option, which was unacceptable. And since Smith's pass pro skills are best described as non-existent, there was never a chance that he'd see anything but very limited spot duty

But that was then.

If 2014 sees Baker healthy and returned to form, Blalock still consistent, Hawley continuing to improve, Asamoah doing what's expected of him, Matthews becoming the player he's expected to be, and Pascoe doing what he was brought in to do, the need for pass pro from the backs drops off exponentially. Antone Smith's greatest, glaring liability suddenly matters much less.

I don't know if Antone will be able to produce on a consistent basis. But I certainly hope he gets the chance, if only to stop the ill-informed "Smitty and Koetter suck because they don't use Smith enough" posts.

When did Hawley win the center position? Hawley is on the verge of getting cut imo. Reynolds like contract = likely to be cut

You must be one of those guys who always thought Antone was getting shafted.

And when you have a moment, take a look at Hawleys' contract numbers.

To be honest, I always smirked a little at the hue and cry around here for Pahokee to get more carries. Thing is, he just didn't meet the minimum requirements.

Like just about any NFL QB, Matt Ryan has the option to audible into or out of any play he wants. But if he wants to audible out of a run and into a pass, he likely needs pass pro help from his running back. That was especially true in 2013 when he couldn't count on his line and didn't have a blocking tight end. If his back couldn't help out either, he lost the audible option, which was unacceptable. And since Smith's pass pro skills are best described as non-existent, there was never a chance that he'd see anything but very limited spot duty

But that was then.

If 2014 sees Baker healthy and returned to form, Blalock still consistent, Hawley continuing to improve, Asamoah doing what's expected of him, Matthews becoming the player he's expected to be, and Pascoe doing what he was brought in to do, the need for pass pro from the backs drops off exponentially. Antone Smith's greatest, glaring liability suddenly matters much less.

I don't know if Antone will be able to produce on a consistent basis. But I certainly hope he gets the chance, if only to stop the ill-informed "Smitty and Koetter suck because they don't use Smith enough" posts.

+1

Exhibit A of why its hard for Smith to get touches and why Quizz has some value to the Falcons.

But that was then.

You mean there was a logical reason for Antone's lack of playing time? I thought it had to do with Smitty not throwing things at press conferences.

Thank you for posting this. I was actually planning on writing up something about this exact topic because I'm sick of seeing the "Smith doesn't know talent when he sees it" posts like people on this board know more about running an NFL team than Smitty does.

I would be inclined to agree with you OP but the problem is we just drafted Freeman which means we have 3 good RB's on the roster ahead of Smith so he probably won't see much more time even if the line does pull a 180 this year.

Never thought I'd see a thread with multiple posts where all actually have an understanding of the game of football. Sure it won't last long.

Although OP I do have to disagree with Antone getting more carries this year, at least significantly. I don't see him getting more than 10-15 carries or so with Jackson Quizz and Freeman all likely ahead of him on the depth chart.

Edit: ^what he said

Edited by Dirtybird56

Thank you for posting this. I was actually planning on writing up something about this exact topic because I'm sick of seeing the "Smith doesn't know talent when he sees it" posts like people on this board know more about running an NFL team than Smitty does.

I would be inclined to agree with you OP but the problem is we just drafted Freeman which means we have 3 good RB's on the roster ahead of Smith so he probably won't see much more time even if the line does pull a 180 this year.

All I really intended to say was that Antone Smith's biggest obstacle might be gone, but you make an excellent point about Freeman possibly being a new one. Looking at the big picture, all the Falcons running backs should be able to enjoy more success in 2014.

All I really intended to say was that Antone Smith's biggest obstacle might be gone, but you make an excellent point about Freeman possibly being a new one. Looking at the big picture, all the Falcons running backs should be able to enjoy more success in 2014.

Anyone other than Barry Sanders would have had a hard time getting yardage behind that embarrassment of an offensive line we fielded last year. If the players perform as we expect them to, running game will look a lot better but it won't help Smith's lack of blocking abilities. Even with an improved O-line, if the defense sends more blitzers than we have linemen, I still would feel better with Quizz back there to block him than Antone.

When did Hawley win the center position? Hawley is on the verge of getting cut imo. Reynolds like contract = likely to be cut

Hawley's contract makes cutting him this season prohibitive, next season maybe. He is one of 5 OL that is guaranteed a roster spot, if anything, based on contract alone.

Smith is going to have a hard time climbing above Freeman for the exact same reasons.

To be honest, the more I watch of Freeman, the more I think he's going to be siphoning carries by Week 4-5. I think he's going to make Quizz work in the Snelling role.

He's great out of the backfield, a surprisingly good pass protector (with upside to be a very good one) and a super assertive runner. He's got great acceleration, gets north south in a hurry, gets small through holes. I'm very excited about this pick.

I hope Antone gets more opportunities, but they're going to be hard to come by.

Yea, I mean we just need to get the guy in the mix situation wise and get him a couple carrys a game. might pay big dividends I absolutely despise the stubborness that has virtually kept him off the field, he might actually be a better alt to Sjax at this point in time ...we have been deprived my friends ...

I knew Smith's biggest issue was blocking and felt like that was why he couldn't get in the game, but always felt they could plan around that enough to get him a little more playing time. His lack of catching ability used to hurt him too, but I think he has improved his catching.

I do agree with this new OLine he has a better chance to play, but I wonder how much Freeman cancels that out. It will be interesting to see, but I think Smith deserves more playing time.

Our OLine was horrific last season, but the OLine has not been good for years. I am really excited to see our offense with this new OLine.

First play of the season. Nix FB, Bear TE and hand the ball off to Jackson going to the right side behind Mathews and Asamoah. 2nd play = same play. Impose our will on the Saints. I want to hear Ryan say "and you can't fking stop it" again.

I knew Smith's biggest issue was blocking and felt like that was why he couldn't get in the game, but always felt they could plan around that enough to get him a little more playing time. His lack of catching ability used to hurt him too, but I think he has improved his catching.

I do agree with this new OLine he has a better chance to play, but I wonder how much Freeman cancels that out. It will be interesting to see, but I think Smith deserves more playing time.

Our OLine was horrific last season, but the OLine has not been good for years. I am really excited to see our offense with this new OLine.

First play of the season. Nix FB, Bear TE and hand the ball off to Jackson going to the right side behind Mathews and Asamoah. 2nd play = same play. Impose our will on the Saints. I want to hear Ryan say "and you can't fking stop it" again.

He needs to get Quizzes carrys imo, I would rather Quizz be the 4th rb, Antone the 3rd ...more upside IMO ...

Anyone other than Barry Sanders would have had a hard time getting yardage behind that embarrassment of an offensive line we fielded last year. If the players perform as we expect them to, running game will look a lot better but it won't help Smith's lack of blocking abilities. Even with an improved O-line, if the defense sends more blitzers than we have linemen, I still would feel better with Quizz back there to block him than Antone.

Barry would've struggled too. Barry had some good lines with Detroit. His lines were overlooked because he was so spectacular but they opened up some nice holes for Barry.