Where Are We Weaker Than The 2012 Team?

I think when you look at this team on paper, we look better overall than the 2012 team that won 13 games. I think every position on D is better, except FS. Decoud was really good in 2012, don't know what happened in 2013. Osi is probably a step behind Abe in pass rushing.

On the offensive side of the ball, the big difference is Gonzalez being gone. But I think the line as a whole should be better than the 2012 one. I don't think that line was good, but Ryan's quick decisions masks them a little bit.

And I'm still not sold on Jackson, he may never have a season as good as Turner's worst in a Falcons uniform.

But overall I think the team has been remolded pretty well. Every team has holes at positions and twice we've won 13 games with them.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think at this point we look worse on paper.

I didn't think we looked all that great prior to the 2012 season so you never know. All we know is the issues we've been screaming about for years are finally being addressed. All we can do is see if it pans out

I think at this point we look worse on paper.

I didn't think we looked all that great prior to the 2012 season so you never know. All we know is the issues we've been screaming about for years are finally being addressed. All we can do is see if it pans out

But how do we look worse on paper? We have more talented linemen on both sides of the ball.

Yep pass rush has gotten worse, TE has dropped off, O-line is ?, the run game is ?, depth should be better. Just not sure the starting lineup will be better as a whole.

Don’t forget the Falcons also played a soft schedule in 2012.

Edited by high impact

Yeah, we don't have a consistant pass-rusher like Abe.

Our run defense should be greatly improved.

Trufant and Alford might be better than Robinson and Samuel.

We don't have Gonzalez, so there is that, but the receivers and backs will see more catches.

I'd imagine our run blocking and rushing would be very improved. We had virtually no running game in 2012

Before the season started, our 2012 schedule was deemed very difficult, but afterward it's looked as weak because of how bad the NFC East and South were.

This schedule is supposedly more difficult.

So yeah I agree. We should be better this year than 2012, barring injuries.

Edited by brando27

Yep pass rush has gotten worse, TE has dropped off, O-line is ?, the run game is ?, depth should be better. Just not sure the starting lineup will be better as a whole.

Don’t forget the Falcons also played a soft schelule in 2012.

how the **** is the passrush worse? laugh.png

I think with a good line SJax will come in beasting this year

I don't see it. The few times he got a chance to run in the open field last year he looked really, really slow. Speed has never been his strength, but he's a shell of his former self at this point. Hopefully Freeman works out and Jackson can transition into a short yardage/goalline back, because the power and leg drive is still there.

But how do we look worse on paper? We have more talented linemen on both sides of the ball.

You don't know that. I've got high hopes but we don't know what asamoah is going to do and for all we know Mathews could bust.

We know the type of player Asamoah had been up to this point and have no reason to think it will change

We know what kind of tight end we don't have anymore also.

We also know or lbers are going to be udfas and late round rookies..

I'm just saying, can't really say we're better cause we haven't seen these Dudes play together yet. I'm very hopeful though and feel pretty good about 2014

We have a handful of "proven" guys on defense. Only 1 position is really solid at this point, CB, but there's a huge question mark after Alford and Trufant.

safety is a question mark. DeCoud is gone, but that doesn't make us better. Moore regressed last year, and injuries are a factor with him.

LBers are rooks and UDFAs. The only vet will miss games at some point this year.

DLine should be improved, but there's no telling how Peters rebounds, KB is coming off of an injury that can hamper explosiveness, Babs is old, Jerry will be nursing an injury, a bunch of unknowns at DE. We added some FAs. One who never produced and one who has been pretty solid over his career.

I really have doubts about this D. The offense will be fine. But you guys may want to accept that we're going to have issues on D.

Guest Negatorris

Well considering we lost 7 games by 7 points or less last season, and won a bunch of close games in 2012 as well as 2010 where we won 13 games both times, a bit of luck can be said to be the reason.

All the injuries that hapoened in 13 was just the opposite. We couldn't rebound. This 2014 team from top to bottom though is probably the most talented a team that TD and Mike Smith have put together. Whether they can convert that talent into a SB worthy team is yet to be discovered but I sure hope so. More than anything we really need the ball to start bouncing our way once again. Every SB winner got lucky at some point in their SB seasons.

But to answer your question, yes this team on paper is better than the 2012 team from top to bottom. Our schedule was not as tough though.

We have a handful of "proven" guys on defense. Only 1 position is really solid at this point, CB, but there's a huge question mark after Alford and Trufant.

safety is a question mark. DeCoud is gone, but that doesn't make us better. Moore regressed last year, and injuries are a factor with him.

LBers are rooks and UDFAs. The only vet will miss games at some point this year.

DLine should be improved, but there's no telling how Peters rebounds, KB is coming off of an injury that can hamper explosiveness, Babs is old, Jerry will be nursing an injury, a bunch of unknowns at DE. We added some FAs. One who never produced and one who has been pretty solid over his career.

I really have doubts about this D. The offense will be fine. But you guys may want to accept that we're going to have issues on D.

Even in 2012/2013 the Falcons had a handful of “proven” guys on defense. I like all the new players, from our acquired FA’s, rookies from draft and UDFA’s. I like the potential these guys bring, especially matched up with our coaching staff. We knew what we had before, and those defenses weren't very good.

I can’t sell you on how this defense is going to be awesome, we haven’t seen them come together yet….so doubts are understood. But I love the changes and the competition the FO created. At least we know Falcons won’t field the same crap from last year. And that alone gives me optimism.

I will say this defense should be mean as ****. With the addition of Cox coaching up d-line, and bringing in Ra ‘Shede Hageman, Southward and Shembo….paired with Moore, Soliai and Babs. Going to get nasty on the field!

Without just avoiding the question, it all depends on the rookies.

We don't have that one stud pass rusher that we had when Abe was here, but there was nothing coming from anywhere else.

Tight End is a huge question mark. I appreciate that we're going to see more 3 WR sets, but that still doesn't mean that we're going to be better down the middle of the field. We are undoubtedly worse in that position.

Safety is a concern. We don't know what we have at FS and Moore didn't look like the player that he was in 2012 last year. He put more hits on our own players than the opposition.

That said, Soliai is a huge upgrade and I like Trufant and Alford more than Samuel and Robinson, although Asante DID have a great year.

So let me get this right...We add talent and somehow got worse?? We add the greatest return guy in the history of the game and improve both our line and somehow we are worse off..Someone please explain that one. Tony G. had his positives but also had his negative especially as a blocker and couldn't open up the offense anymore because he couldn't run anymore. And the notion that Decoud's matador defense is somehow going to be missed is hilarious.

I think Decoud's concussion broke him. He was obviously terrified to tackle or get in front of receivers. He's probably done

Yeah he was never a physical player but he went from finesse to flat out avoiding contact at all costs. That won't get it done in the NFL unless you are a historically elite corner that no one even bothers throwing at ala Deion.