Problem With Falcons Drafting Short Db's

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Height doesn't automatically make you a good football player. Of the names on that list only 3 of them worry me in the least bit, and it's not because they are taller than our CB's. Brent Grimes was shorter than just about, if not all, receivers he faced and he did pretty well for himself. Basically where the taller players have their advantages, the shorter CB's have their advantages and it all balances out to who the better football player is. In our case, Trufant is a better football player than just about everyone on that list and Alford is better than most of those as well.

Perception is king in the NFL and right now the perception is the bigger, and lore physical the CB is, the better.

You can't beat big physical CBs, for whatever reason folks in the NFL prefer to be scared of big physical CBs.

We attacked Sherman and like all CBs eventually he gave up plays but make these physical guys think. Let them see a lot of action in front of them, make them question what they are seeing and being physical and big will end up making them look goofy.

Most Cb's are about 5'10. You cant look at a revievers hight and try to say that they are going to dominate Cb's. Yea Taller guys have the height advantage but the reason 90% of NFL Cb's are short is because taller CB's lack the abdominal fluidity to mimick and readjust to the opposing WR route. Its rare to find tall cbs who can play at an nfl level. Yea SEA & SF did it, and a couple other teams but overall smaller guys are simply more agile and can ball hawk and jump routes more. Not to mention their change in direction is much better.

Good post. SF and sea do it because of their dlines. Sherman can get exposed if the dline doesn't get pressure. Same with SF. The thing with the tall guys is if they get a hand on a wr and reroute him while the line is getting after the qb. We gave the broncos the blueprint of how to beat them but they didn't use it in the SB. Bring wr's in tight so they can't put hands on them and can get a free release. Instead they kept their receivers out wide the whole game. Crazy.

Good post. SF and sea do it because of their dlines. Sherman can get exposed if the dline doesn't get pressure. Same with SF. The thing with the tall guys is if they get a hand on a wr and reroute him while the line is getting after the qb. We gave the broncos the blueprint of how to beat them but they didn't use it in the SB. Bring wr's in tight so they can't put hands on them and can get a free release. Instead they kept their receivers out wide the whole game. Crazy.

Plus Manning doesn't have the arm strength to expose corners deep anymore

There are some great points in this thread regarding corners and height.

I'd like to add it seems like people are forgetting that NFL corners are some of the most athletic people on the planet. Having a taller WR or TE isn't that much of an advantage because an NFL corner can usually make up the difference in their vertical.

The best bigger WRS in the game are so good because they know his to use their bodies to attack the ball while it's in the air... Not because they are taller than the corner.

People that think Tolio is in for a big year because of his height are going to be disappointed.

Perception is king in the NFL and right now the perception is the bigger, and lore physical the CB is, the better.

You can't beat big physical CBs, for whatever reason folks in the NFL prefer to be scared of big physical CBs.

We attacked Sherman and like all CBs eventually he gave up plays but make these physical guys think. Let them see a lot of action in front of them, make them question what they are seeing and being physical and big will end up making them look goofy.

The tall corner can't be beat if you have a boss front 7. Deion sanders was a tall corner and played physical at the line. That's the main thing in a tall corners game. Hand placement at the line. The ravens had tall corners the first SB they won. Same results. Can't throw on em. As long as that front seven can get after the qb the tall corners can keep hands on the wr slowing the timing of the route and making it easier to turn his hips with the wr. It's not a perception. It's real but the key is the front 7. Not saying they can't be beat but it's harder when the line is getting after it.

We have some short corners but the have great verticals. Alford, McClain and the new guy have decent verticals. That's why grimes is good. He can jump out the gym with the best of them. Southward is tall and still has a 42" vert. Alford I believe is a 40 or 41. Tru is 37 1/2 and he's tall. The thing about vertical is it doesn't matter the height. A 42" vert is the same for both the tall wr and the short corner. If he's shorter he better be super athletic and have an amazing vertical. Grimes is a 40 I think as well.

There are a lot of great short CBs out there , I just don't think this particular guy will be one ....don't really see him as any kind of upgrade over McClain or Franks even sure hope I am wrong ...I would have grabbed Yankey with that pick and stashed him to take over for Blalock down the road ....

There are a lot of great short CBs out there , I just don't think this particular guy will be one ....don't really see him as any kind of upgrade over McClain or Franks even sure hope I am wrong ...I would have grabbed Yankey with that pick and stashed him to take over for Blalock down the road ....

The thing about Allen is he plays physical and has a decent vertical so he can jump with taller wr's. If we had the kind of front seven Seattle had franks could be a Richard Sherman on the outside because he's tall and physical. This has been a problem I've had with the coaches. They play players wrong and they never develop because if it. Franks is decent in the outside. Sucks inside but you don't see Sherman playing inside. He stays on Sherman island. It's time out coaches start utilizing the talent we have the right way. To their strengths.

The thing about Allen is he plays physical and has a decent vertical so he can jump with taller wr's. If we had the kind of front seven Seattle had franks could be a Richard Sherman on the outside because he's tall and physical. This has been a problem I've had with the coaches. They play players wrong and they never develop because if it. Franks is decent in the outside. Sucks inside but you don't see Sherman playing inside. He stays on Sherman island. It's time out coaches start utilizing the talent we have the right way. To their strengths.

I can agree with all that, again not dissing Allen, hope he beasts....looks like an instinctive route jumper with great anticipation ...but will he be able to read NFL QBs like he did Big Ten ones ? I just think he a tad slow as well if my info is correct he closer to 4.6 than 4.5 ....

I can agree with all that, again not dissing Allen, hope he beasts....looks like an instinctive route jumper with great anticipation ...but will he be able to read NFL QBs like he did Big Ten ones ? I just think he a tad slow as well if my info is correct he closer to 4.6 than 4.5 ....

His 40 time would matter more if he played on the outside. He'll probably be a career nickel corner. If he has an instinct to read qb's it will follow him to the nfl. The thing is the coaches have to put him in position to do the things he does well. He'll probably be a dime corner at first. Unless he upseats McClain. Plus there's other CB comp from FA too. Until we get our front 7 right we won't have a secondary full of tall corners. Southward may be a corner convert if the front 7 gets right. He's tall with a 42 inch vert and runs a 4.3. He's similar to Sherman other than 40 times. That's why this could end up being a genius pick for us a couple years down the road.

Edited by TheFatboi

So how do you explain Allen's productivity in college if he isn't any good. Did McClain have this guy's college resume???

Edited by peoriabird