Senior Bowl: Hagemann

When keeping up with all the Senior Bowl stuff I remember reading a report saying that the Falcons staff were doing some unusual stuff with Hagemann including having him line-up as a Defensive End. I unfortunately missed the bowl, did anyone notice if our guys lined him up at DE during the game?

I'm assuming we must have seen something we liked from him at the position. I think he could be a monster off the end.

When keeping up with all the Senior Bowl stuff I remember reading a report saying that the Falcons staff were doing some unusual stuff with Hagemann including having him line-up as a Defensive End. I unfortunately missed the bowl, did anyone notice if our guys lined him up at DE during the game?

I'm assuming we must have seen something we liked from him at the position. I think he could be a monster off the end.

90 % of the time he was a 3-4 DE

The other 10% he was a 4-3 DT

He had a few moments but nothing like Donald or Ford.

He is clearly listed as a DE..

The Falcons drafted rookies selected their jersey numbers this weekend. Here's the complete list:

• OT Jake Matthews - 70
  • DE Ra'Shede Hageman - 77
  • S Dezmen Southward - 41
  • RB Devonta Freeman - 33
  • LB Prince Shembo - 53
  • CB Ricardo Allen - 37
  • LB Marquis Spruill - 51
  • LB Yawin Smallwood - 54
  • LB Tyler Starr - 49

In our 3 down lineman sets, he plays strong side DE - wherever the opposing TE lines up, Hageman lines up directly across from that side's respective OT. He can dominate as a two-gapper with his 6'6 frame and 34+ inch arms. Then, in passing situations, he can move inside a bit, play 3-tech shading a guard, and wreak havoc as a one gap penetrator. He's also got the athleticism to play LDE in 3 down lineman sets in obvious running situations. This dude is going to be a stud for us.

I told one of the draft guys on Twitter, I think Matt Miller, that we were intentionally playing him out of position to hide him. On day two, it was reported that the Jags tried the same with Attaochu. It was easy to see. He was not doing much of what he was capable of. It worked, making him fall to the second.

I told one of the draft guys on Twitter, I think Matt Miller, that we were intentionally playing him out of position to hide him. On day two, it was reported that the Jags tried the same with Attaochu. It was easy to see. He was not doing much of what he was capable of. It worked, making him fall to the second.

I honestly thought the same thing. It's a wild assumption but ya never know.

I honestly thought the same thing. It's a wild assumption but ya never know.

Never put anything past a coaching staff when they can truly effect the stock of a player they like. That's why lies come out all the way up until the clock starts for the first pick of the draft. You essentially make Hageman look average against the other superstar seniors and it effects his stock. Look at Dee Ford. He never becomes a first rounder without that game.

90 % of the time he was a 3-4 DE

The other 10% he was a 4-3 DT

He had a few moments but nothing like Donald or Ford.

Not entirely correct...as OP was asking...he did have plays as 5tech off the outside edge of the tackle in a 4 man front aka 4-3 DE spot in he senior bowl...I watched it earlier looking @ southward mainly

Edited by TheeTKOBeatz

From what I saw of Hageman game footage he looked more effective as DE. He faced a lot of double teams as 4-3 DT. I think Nolan plans to move him all over the line...he'll be a terror from the outside.

John Gruden did something similar with Cadillac Williams.

They barely played Williams in the game because Gruden knew they were going to take him based on what he saw in practice and didn't want anyone else to really see what he could do.

Not entirely correct...as OP was asking...he did have plays as 5tech off the outside edge of the tackle in a 4 man front aka 4-3 DE spot in he senior bowl...I watched it earlier looking @ southward mainly

I did see him @ DE much more than anything else and some of it could have been as a 4-3 end.

On the outside, inside, or both?

Sorry, both. But I remember him doing particularly well on the outside because that was something new.

John Gruden did something similar with Cadillac Williams.

They barely played Williams in the game because Gruden knew they were going to take him based on what he saw in practice and didn't want anyone else to really see what he could do.

Exactly. I'm not going to put the player in a position to win because it doesn't help me if I want him. It's a game. If I like what I see and know what he's capable of, I'm good with him having a terrible Senior Bowl game at the hands of my DC.