Has The Pass Rush Really Been Addressed?

Huh?

First off, you can't have shut down corners without pressure. No CB is running with a good NFL WR for 5+ seconds, period. Sherman is shut down because you can't beat him in 3 seconds and the Seahawks defense won't give you any longer than that to do it. So when the ball goes up Sherman can make a play on it. If the QB could just wait 3 more seconds, like they do against us, the WR could make another move and get away from even Sherman.

Seatte has a great defense as a WHOLE. Front 4 that collapses the pocket and a secondary that is athletic enough to capitalize on the QBs forced throws. Thomas makes his leaving preying on the the mistakes the QBs are forced into because Sherman is covering his man he knows the pressure from Avril and Co will force the ball out in a few seconds. Take away their pass rush and their secondary loses a lot of its luster. It's a team game.

Pressure is good anytime. You want it on the first pass play through to the last. Every pass play where there is no pressure is much more likely to succeed. A sack just occurs when the coverage intensity matches the pressure OR the QB is wack and doesn't get rid of the ball fast enough OR the Offensive blocking is so horrible that the QB doesn't have time to do a thing (see us). But pressure should be constant and the good defense do.

Pressure is valuable period. 49ers pass rushers look so good because Justin Smith, Sopoga/Williams, Ray McDonald are doing that work inside. Steelers? See Hapton and Kiesel. Ravens? Obviously Ngata, with Jones and others throughout the years. Every great pass rush is because of the unsung heroes in the middle.

What???

Sherman just got like 60 mil he's easily considered a shut down corner

As far as collapsing the pocket and getting up feild we only have two guys capable of that in Peters( who injured right now) and Hageman who never played a down. And I guess Babs but he never brings it play to play let alone game to game.

Anyone who understands football from an Xs & 0s know that jackson nor Soliai job will be to collapse the pocket it will be to eat up double teams and basically be immovable objects its still on our LBers to create the pressure.

Seeing Abe ranked up quite a few sacks with far less talent I wouldn't expect much unless they chance there scheme.

And all those guys you mentioned in the Ravens,steelers and 9ers none of those guys are "pass rusher" nor do they "collapse" the pocket there there to not let the OL create a pocket so it greatly depends on the guys outside to make plays and we don't have anyone near the caliber any of those teams have we have some solid run stuffers. As far as Seattle they have a very very very athletic front four that would put ours to shame.

A more favorable compairson would maybe be the saints we have guys that are similar to Junior Galette but no one like Cam Jordan. And even then they interior guys aren't that great either there secondary was average at best it was there pass rush.

If our LBers in Kroy,Mass,Maponga,Osi rookies dont set up the defense may improve but will still be a problem against teams that can throw the ball.

Yes

We have paraded a ton of pass rushing DE's in and out of here through the years and the one constant was our lack of push in the middle, Addressing that has addressed our Pass rushing issues. Even Abe only performed his best when we had push in the middle when we had Grady Jackson collapsing the pocket.

How many freakin times have our De's been about to get a sack only to have the QB simply step up in the perfect pocket in front of him because our interior dline could never collapse the pocket? This happened multiple time a game for years and happened no matter who we had at DE. TD finally fixed the root cause and re worked our interior Dline. It would have been insanity to keep parading edge rushing DE's in here only to have them fail.

Getting a big interior dline = collapsing the pocket = more sacks since QB's can no longer step up in the pocket and avoid our DE's.

I concur

Our pass rush will come from the linebackers. Its my guess that Nolan will use a pass rush by committee approach mainly out of the 3-4 similar to how Seattle does their pass rush. We will rush 4 as usual but try and keep offense guessing where the 4th and sometimes 5th man are coming from. We saw glimpses of it with the "amoeba" in 2012 I think Nolan finally has the type of players he needs to expand on that and to get even more creative with his blitzes and defensive fronts.

Don't underestimate Soliai he did after all make the pro bowl the last time he played for Nolan and the AFC had some very good DT that year. Jackson has shown some good improvement the past couple of years and I think he may end up being the steal of FA.

Let me ask you this. What good would adding an edge pass rusher if all the opposing QBs had to do was step into the pocket? I feel with the addition of Solai, Jackson & HAGEMAN, we can get that inside push up the middle the will free our existing pash rushers (Osi, Bierman, Mass, Maponga, etc.) to get to the QB on the edge

I don't think we'll be on the Panties' level but the pass rush should improve for several reasons:

1 - better inside push from Soliai, Hageman and Jackson

2 - improvement of Mass and Maponga and return of Biermann

3 - disguise of 3-4 blitzes

4 - more corner and safety blitzes from Nolan

5 - one of our 12 LBs rising up as a legit pass rusher

First off u need to have a plan, which looks like what we are trying to do this offseason. Years of lacking a pass rush is not solved in one season.

Another thing why all the focus on just pass protection and pass rush? This team needed to address run blocking and run (D) and they did that.

I think it has been addressed in a way with the scheme change and with what I feel is a philosophical change in attitude. This season I expect to see a meaner and nastier plan of attack and overall play. I think the majority of the board is still stuck in the old way of looking at things and will be plesantly surprised.

Simple answer: no.

But the interior will help.

Next year we will know more about guys like maponga, mass, Starr, shembo,etc

Then we can draft a true pass rush threat

I agree. We were too far, roster wise from Seattle and SF, to make up the difference in one year. We're closer...progress...ain't it grand :)

I agree. We were too far, roster wise from Seattle and SF, to make up the difference in one year. We're closer...progress...ain't it grand :)

well yeah...

If anyone thought we were gonna be better than Seattle and sf after a year they were nuts

I agree. We were too far, roster wise from Seattle and SF, to make up the difference in one year. We're closer...progress...ain't it grand smile.png

Were not to far away its coaching plan and simple

Look at NOs they went from the worst defense in the history of the game to a top 5 defense

Most people on the thread and most experts seem to agree.

Are we all "trolls?"

Or are you just a homer with your head in the sand?

Nobody has their head in the sand. Did we add a big name sack guy in the draft? No. Will the Falcons put more pressure on the QB this year than they did last year with the players that have been added? Of course!

Anybody who thinks our pass rush didn't get better this offseason with the moves that have been made must be the most negative person ever. Osi, Beerman, and Mass just got better with the additions of our new players.

I agree. We were too far, roster wise from Seattle and SF, to make up the difference in one year. We're closer...progress...ain't it grand smile.png

Definitely not on those two teams level of defense. This offseason I definitely feel like they made a heII of an effort to address the key weakness of last season. If the front 3 do their job and collapse that pocket, we will be a more well rounded team.

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

I seriously LOL at this thread. When everyone is caught up in edge rushers... Quarterbacks have made a living stepping up in the pocket and delivering a strike every time against our defense. I think, the pass rush has been more than addressed in this off season. Plus 2 to the FO for what they have done. Don't be surprised when Biermann and Mass and Osi all drop double digit sacks this year. In fact... I think we may have a possibility to lead the league in both sacks and interceptions this year. And don't sleep on that safety we picked up, either.

Let me ask you this. What good would adding an edge pass rusher if all the opposing QBs had to do was step into the pocket? I feel with the addition of Solai, Jackson & HAGEMAN, we can get that inside push up the middle the will free our existing pash rushers (Osi, Bierman, Mass, Maponga, etc.) to get to the QB on the edge

Stop...you're making to many look foolish at one time.