I'm Not One That Usually Advocates For Bringing In Older Vets

but......Falcons may not have anyone that is ready to answer the bell in September. We need a 1 year bridge while Southward gets up to speed on the NFL game. Granted this guy is old - will be 36 years old in September (which is too old) but he did have 3 interceptions in 14 games last year - maybe we could make Reed a part-time player and kind of a teacher to our other defensive backs. Obviously would have preferred a younger player in free agency - but we are "where we are". This guy is hall of famer and one of the best ever.

459728357.jpg

ebruary 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Jets not expected to bring back Ed Reed

by Jamey Eisenberg | Senior Fantasy Writer

The Jets are unlikely to bring back safety Ed Reed for 2014, reports ESPN.

Reed, 35, is an unrestricted free agent, but the report says he doesn't figure in the immediate plans. He could be a fallback option if there's an injury down the line.

Reed, who had 27 tackles and three interceptions in 14 games in 2013, said he would like to play one more year.

Share: Twitter Facebook

December 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Ed Reed wants to play one more year

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

Future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed said he'd like to play one more year, especially with the Jets, but admitted retirement is a possibility, reports the New York Daily News. The 35-year-old made 27 tackles and three interceptions in 14 games this season.

but......Falcons may not have anyone that is ready to answer the bell in September. We need a 1 year bridge while Southward gets up to speed on the NFL game. Granted this guy is old - will be 36 years old in September (which is too old) but he did have 3 interceptions in 14 games last year - maybe we could make Reed a part-time player and kind of a teacher to our other defensive backs. Obviously would have preferred a younger player in free agency - but we are "where we are". This guy is hall of famer and one of the best ever.

459728357.jpg

ebruary 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Jets not expected to bring back Ed Reed

by Jamey Eisenberg | Senior Fantasy Writer

The Jets are unlikely to bring back safety Ed Reed for 2014, reports ESPN.

Reed, 35, is an unrestricted free agent, but the report says he doesn't figure in the immediate plans. He could be a fallback option if there's an injury down the line.

Reed, who had 27 tackles and three interceptions in 14 games in 2013, said he would like to play one more year.

Share: Twitter Facebook

December 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Ed Reed wants to play one more year

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

Future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed said he'd like to play one more year, especially with the Jets, but admitted retirement is a possibility, reports the New York Daily News. The 35-year-old made 27 tackles and three interceptions in 14 games this season.

normally I'd say heck yea if hes cheap and it's not a long contract, but lots of things went down with Reed as he left the Texans that kind of soured me on him. The decision to sign him to a huge contract and he could barely beat out Shiloh Keo despite being paid big dollars by the FO is a disturbing sign,

G-dawg,

I agree with you on a lot of things but not this. We are going to have to make some tough decisions on the 53 man roster this year with all of the re-signings, FA pick-ups, and draft picks. I don't want to see a roster spot "wasted" on a 36 year old safety with nothing left in the tank. We have the cap space so my objection is not to the price, it's simply taking up a roster spot for essentially a "coach."