My Take On The Southward Pick

gHost83

When the Falcons first made this pick in the top of the 3rd round, I was as confused as most of the posters on these boards. Why didn't we wait until the fourth round or take Brooks? After watching some tape and looking at some of his interviews, I saw why.

This guy is an intelligent football player. Very well spoken and comprehension of the game is above his years. I can also see in some ways this is a kind of determent to his game possibly because he may over think certain situations. He is a bright guy and should be able to pick up Nolan's defense up pretty quickly. I'm sure Lowery can teach him a thing or two, and he will be taking note.

Then I looked at this guys measurables and was blown away! 4.3 speed and a ridiculous 42 inch vertical is crazy, esp at 6 foot plus and 211. Another thing I saw about this guy was how large his hands are... This guy has 10" hands... That's enormous. To put that in perspective, he has the same size hands as Greg Robinson and larger than most of the other offensive lineman... He has all the tools and intangibles to become a top ten safety.

I know some will knock his ball skills, but I think that had a lot to do with the fractured wrist he played with all last season. Never missed a game either.

At the end of the day, we took a guy with the highest upside at the safety position in a fairly weak safety draft. A guy that can play both safety positions and even cb in a pinch. Put his proday, against anyone in the CB class and he is right up there at the top. It was the right pick at the time.

I give this pick a B+ that might turn into an A once we see this guy on the field.

And ... the falcons coaching staff spent an entire week coaching him in Mobile.

I think that is something VERY important that gets lost with the Southward & Hageman picks. They got significant work with our coaching staff which, IMHO is much better than getting a visit here or there. I have a good feeling these two are gonna be incredible in the near future.

Not going to pretend that I know a lot about they guy. He has the size/speed/athletic ability you want in a DB. The #1 thing I can't stand is a slow unathletic NFL football player. That's the main reason why you can keep the J. Byrds of the world. Southward being able to play and produce is a different story. At least he has the things you can't teach.

I read where he lined up a lot in the slot, where interceptions are hard to come by, unless the design is to jump a rout. I was as perplexed as anyone after the pick, but he has to size and speed to line up with the big, fast tight ends and receivers in our division!

GO FALCONS!!!

Not going to pretend that I know a lot about they guy. He has the size/speed/athletic ability you want in a DB. The #1 thing I can't stand is a slow unathletic NFL football player. That's the main reason why you can keep the J. Byrds of the world. Southward being able to play and produce is a different story. At least he has the things you can't teach.

Our secondary will be very fast with Trufant, Alford, and Southward!