September 7, 2014...the Day We Will Know What To Expect.

I think the Falcons started last season with the wind in their wings and that first critical game blew them out of the sky. They never looked the same taking the field after that game. I think a lot of questions will have been answered when September 8th rolls around. Is Matt still the man? Did the coaching staff learn anything from last year? Did the draft and free agency (which I am looking for them to make some moves in) make this team “rise up” and above?

Can't wait to see if we have a contender, a pretender or just another whipping boy team. On that day, we will know.

If we lose to the fcking Saints on opening day again, this time at home, you can blow this whole **** thing up for all I care. Sick of losing to those azzhats.

Kinda agree, coach Smith coaches like he's afraid of the Saints. It would ease my mind if he was just totally disrespectful this season. I'd like to see him drop 40 on em

We played two good games last year that we should have won. In the first one Skillet Hands Jackson drops an easy TD. A hobbled Roddy White misses his chance to walk into the end zone a few plays before because he couldn't run. In the second game we lost by 4 points, held them to 17, despite the fact that we were half the team we were in the first game. Heck Ryan completed 30-39 for 292 to 9 different receivers all while being sacked 5 times! No Roddy or Julio and Gonzo a non factor. We just couldn't score in the red zone.

The fixes we made this year with our offensive line will go so far in getting our redzone issues fixed. A decent line that can run block, teams will have to respect us in the redzone.

Believe it or not we'll be able to learn a lot about this team in preseason.

If the oline is able to consistently get push for the run game and keep Matt clean the outlook for the season is looking good.

Scores in a preaseason game mean nothing but you can learn quite a bit.

In 2008 & 2010 preseason the 1st team oline could pretty much run the ball at will in preseason.

In 2012 preseason the 1st team offense was explosive and moved the ball down the field.

In 2013 preseason the oline had protection issues consistently and the offense was inconsistent.

From MMQB:

3. I think, speaking of season-openers, I’ll be glued to the super-fast Brandin Cooks, the Saints’ first-rounder, on the rug inside the Georgia Dome. To me, that’s the game of the day on Sunday afternoon in Week 1: Have the Falcons done enough on defense to stop the Saints from scoring a ton with that scary offense? The biggest new Saint on opening day in Atlanta in 17 weeks, however, might be New Orleans’ second-rounder, 6-3 corner Stanley Jean-Baptiste, because if the Saints can’t match up with Julio Jones they might have to score 48 instead of 28 to win.

We held their offense to 23 and 17 last year and that was with our worst unit in years.

I think the Falcons started last season with the wind in their wings and that first critical game blew them out of the sky. They never looked the same taking the field after that game. I think a lot of questions will have been answered when September 8th rolls around. Is Matt still the man? Did the coaching staff learn anything from last year? Did the draft and free agency (which I am looking for them to make some moves in) make this team “rise up” and above?

Can't wait to see if we have a contender, a pretender or just another whipping boy team. On that day, we will know.

Agree with part and disagree with part of this. Looking back, I do think the season opener last year was a key turning point. If SJax catches that pass, the Falcons likely start 1-0, Saints 0-1. Given all the other injuries that happened, the season was still going to be bad, but maybe more like 7-9/8-8.

Where I disagree is how it felt after the game. Having traveled down to NOLA and been in their dome watching the game, I walked out of their feeling as good as one can following a loss. The D had exceeded my wildest expectations - holding Brees & Co to 23 points at their place seemed like a miracle! With the game seemingly only have been lost due to a fluke drop from the new free agent RB, it seemed like the Birds would have no problem rebounding.

Let's not forget about the Saints D. I think, with a little more tape on them, we'll do better this go around; but you can't ignore the fact that they were a top 5 unit last year. I hate them just as much as anyone, I assure you, but they've earned a bit of 'respect" on their defensive unit, until otherwise noted.