Jones Suspended For Michael Sam Comments...

http://profootballta...season-program/

I was reading in the comment section on ProFootballTalk under this topic and one of them really stuck out and I think makes a lot of sense:

tmar1961 says: May 11, 2014 10:56 PM

Ridiculous, just absurd overreaction by the Dolphins. The man as the right to feel the way he does and this THOUGHT POLICE activity needs to stop. What's next, someone says they hate dogs and ends up being fined and suspended? As much as Sam has his right to be gay and not be judged for it, Jones has the right to be sickened and horrified by the video. NOT saying one is more right than the other, just that both have the right. The whole deal about America is to have the guy next to you stand for everything you despise and you fight for his right to feel that way.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was suspended because he didn't have the mental discipline to keep thought (homophobic) from forming action (homophobic tweet) No employer in the 21st century is going to tolerate intolerant behavior. Do I always agree, no, but in the immortal words of an old friend "know dah game"

He has the right to say what he wants and the company he works for has the right to punish him for those remarks which are detrimental to their image. I don't understand why this is so difficult for certain people to understand. Free speech does not mean you are immune to the reactions to what you say.

He has the right to say what he wants and the company he works for has the right to punish him for those remarks which are detrimental to their image. I don't understand why this is so difficult for certain people to understand. Free speech does not mean you are immune to the reactions to what you say.

....and there is an added component in the NFL because you also have an organization (commish and owners) who dictates policy as well. They are kind of like the home owners organization that tells you to get the old truck out of your yard.

Edited by Flip Wilson

I think he was suspended because he didn't have the mental discipline to keep thought (homophobic) from forming action (homophobic tweet) No employer in the 21st century is going to tolerate intolerant behavior. Do I always agree, no, but in the immortal words of an old friend "know dah game"

Ether.

TH killed it. Thread over.

Does an intolerant employer have a right to fine and suspend a tolerant employee? Should an employee who chooses an alternate lifestyle who does not disclose that on his application be terminated when it comes to light?

Just questions to be answered.

How are those questions relevant to this situation?

I was disgusted by the 3 minute clip of Michael Sam eating birthday cake off of his boyfriend's mouth. I would have been disgusted if they were drooling over Manziel and his girlfriend doing the same thing. To me, it's not a gay thing. Some people have vehement presuppositions and when social issues are being shoved down people's throats, this type of reaction is to be expected. I read in one article where a writer was comparing Michael Sam to Jackie Robinson. I can't think of a more offensive comparison.

Michael Sam is "apparently" "openly gay." Was Jackie Robinson "openly black?"

I was disgusted by the 3 minute clip of Michael Sam eating birthday cake off of his boyfriend's mouth. I would have been disgusted if they were drooling over Manziel and his girlfriend doing the same thing. To me, it's not a gay thing. Some people have vehement presuppositions and when social issues are being shoved down people's throats, this type of reaction is to be expected. I read in one article where a writer was comparing Michael Sam to Jackie Robinson. I can't think of a more offensive comparison.

First off, no one is shoving anything down your throat. I mean, I will if that's your thing, but whatevs. No one put a gun to your head and told you to watch.

Also, to suggest that a comparison to another civil rights figure is offensive is just absurd. That's about as generous as I can be in response to that. No, it isn't the same. No, he isn't going to deal with the same thing Jackie Robinson dealt with. But ****, look at what people are already saying, yourself included. What he is doing is an achievement for gay people, whether you want to recognize it or not.

Jackie Robinson was spit at, physically assaulted, slept in isolated hotel rooms, and verbally abused by opposing coaches in front of television audiences. Michael Sam was an inferior draft prospect who just sold the 2nd most jerseys out of all NFL rookies, received the Arthur Ash award for courage by ESPN, and has been praised immediately as a pioneer from a wide array of public figures, including the first lady of the United States. In 1947 the South was still segregated, with African-Americans being denied the right to vote throughout much of the South. It would be another two decades before the Civil Rights Movement gave African-Americans anything resembling legal equality in America when Robinson came into baseball. Full-scale integration of schools and universities would not happen for many more decades. Say what you wlil, but in 2014, the battle over gay rights is largely over.

Oh, neat. Cherry-picking. No one is saying he is dealing with the same level of animosity that Jackie Robinson. In fact, I made that distinction in my post. Regardless, I hardly see how it would make the comparison "offensive" anyway. Michael Sam didn't have to come out. He certainly didn't have to do it before the draft. The only offensive thing I see here is your assertion that his plight has been nothing but roses and unicorns.

Oh, neat. A strawman argument. Michael Sam came out his freshman year of college. It was about as well-known on campus as Sean Weatherspoon's love of jagermeister. He was openly gay before the NFL aspirations, so let's not try and paint the situation differently than what it is. I think Michael Sam is an upstanding person and should be commended for his decision to enter the draft, but I'm not going to insult the legacy of Jackie Robinson by making such an irresponsible comparison.

Ok, continue on with your insulting and distorted narrative. Murica'

First off, no one is shoving anything down your throat. I mean, I will if that's your thing, but whatevs. No one put a gun to your head and told you to watch.

Also, to suggest that a comparison to another civil rights figure is offensive is just absurd. That's about as generous as I can be in response to that. No, it isn't the same. No, he isn't going to deal with the same thing Jackie Robinson dealt with. But ****, look at what people are already saying, yourself included. What he is doing is an achievement for gay people, whether you want to recognize it or not.

After stating several times he wanted to only talk about football and answer questions about football it seems kind if hypocritical to act the way he did.The very first thing he did after he officially joined the ranks of the NFL is have a makeout session on national television?The whole thing seemed staged and overdone to me.

He is not going to make it in NFL . Jeff Fisher and Rams did NFL a favor . Plus add on ESPN antics over the top at a gay bar it was like a soap opera . The cake part was over the top if Sam wants to be treated like everyone else don't spread cake over your significant other face

I could see ESPN telling him to do that lol