Walter Football N F C S Final Draft Grades

SaintRay

Atlanta Falcons: C+ Grade

Goals Entering the 2014 NFL Draft: Many seem to forget that the Falcons were in the NFC Championship 16 months ago. They fought through a barrage of injuries this past season and were never able to recover because of their lacking depth. Atlanta essentially just needs to bolster its roster while taking care of a few needs, including rush linebacker, safety and right tackle.

2014 NFL Draft Accomplishments: I don't think the Falcons are fans of their own draft. They got off to a good start with Jake Matthews, though he was close to being the worst-case scenario pick at No. 6 (Clowney-Robinson-Mack-Matthews-Watkins would have been disastrous for them). Matthews will be a huge upgrade at right tackle, and he'll eventually move over to the blind side, where he'll offer great protection for Matt Ryan.

It all went downhill from there, however. The Falcons were trying desperately to move into the end of the first to secure one of Dee Ford, Jimmie Ward or Deone Bucannon. All of them went off the board rather quickly. That prompted the front office to make a strange choice in Ra'Shede Hageman, who will be stuck behind a bunch of players on the depth chart. Atlanta followed that up with two reaches: Dez Southward and Marquis Spruill.

The Falcons saved themselves with some nice choices like Devonta Freeman and Ricardo Allen, but they didn't have a good draft overall.

----------------------------------------------

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: C Grade

Goals Entering the 2014 NFL Draft: The Buccaneers have made a ton of acquisitions this offseason, but they're still weak in a few areas. They have to find a No. 2 receiving option, upgrade at linebacker and guard, and someone to help Gerald McCoy rush the passer on the interior of the defensive line. They'll also consider a franchise quarterback at No. 7 overall if they can get either Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel.

2014 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Mike Evans is so much like Vincent Jackson that I accidentally tweeted out that Tampa Bay drafted Vincent Jackson No. 7 overall. He and Austin Seferian-Jenkins will provide Josh McCown with some rather large targets, a luxury that McCown enjoyed during his time with the Bears. Robert Herron, a smaller weapon, was a solid choice as well.

Tampa Bay's other picks weren't nearly as good. Kadeem Edwards and Kevin Pamphile were reaches in the fifth round - and the latter didn't provide a need - but the worst choice of all was Charles Sims in the third frame. With Doug Martin, Mike James and Bobby Rainey on the roster, there was absolutely no need to pick Sims, who was a reach at that point anyway. This earned the Buccaneers one of the dreaded "Millen" grades that I handed out over the weekend.

Overall, the Buccaneers didn't have a very good draft. They ignored needs, made reaches and failed to find a possible long-term solution at quarterback.

------------------------------------------------------------

New Orleans Saints: B Grade

Goals Entering the 2014 NFL Draft: The Saints don't have any glaring needs, excluding center, wide receiver and cornerback. Outside of addressing all three of those spots, the Saints can take the top player available to help shore up their roster for a potential Super Bowl run.

2014 NFL Draft Accomplishments: I criticized the Bills earlier for surrendering a valuable resource to move up for Sammy Watkins. The Saints did the same thing, albeit in a move with lesser magnitude, but they'll be praised for doing so. Unlike Buffalo, they are prepared to win a Super Bowl this year, so it was in their best interest to obtain someone who could help them do that, even if it cost them a third-round selection. Brandin Cooks, who would have been off the board at No. 27, will be a very potent weapon for Drew Brees.

Save for the center position, the Saints filled their other needs, albeit with some reaches. Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Vinnie Sunseri, who could help in the secondary, were chosen too early. However, New Orleans did make a decent value selection with Khairi Fortt, an inside linebacker who may start if David Hawthorne continues to struggle.

Overall, the Saints did a decent job of bolstering their roster. They gave themselves a better chance of representing the NFC in the Super Bowl.

--------------------------------------------------------

28. Carolina Panthers: C Grade

Goals Entering the 2014 NFL Draft: The Panthers lost a ton of talent this offseason, particularly at wideout and on the offensive line. Some contrarians think they can look at other positions, but the receiving corps and front are in such dire need of help that the front office almost has to address them early and often.

2014 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Panthers had to obtain multiple receivers and a left tackle. They failed in both matters, which has to be frustrating for the fans. They did, at least, snag one receiver, but he was a reach. Kelvin Benjamin was a consensus second-round prospect, and one team we spoke to even had him in the middle rounds. The 28th pick was too early for him, but Carolina was at least addressing a huge hole.

I don't know what happened after that, but receiver and tackle were ignored. I don't mind the second-round choice of Kony Ealy because he presented such great value at that juncture, but one of the next three selections should have been used on a greater position of need.

Given all that's happened, who's Newton going to throw to, and how will his blind side be protected? Carolina's franchise quarterback can't be happy with what his team did this weekend.

I don't think Baptiste was a reach at all, he had the skill set and prototypical size that coaches want these days. We had no 3rd rounder and he would have been gone by the 4th. IMO he was better than any remaining CB's and was even projected as a 1st rounder by some. But I like Fortts skills as well, he's not a rush linebacker but he can cover well, I think with his size and burst he could eventually push Hawthorne for an ILB position. One guy I'm eyeballing is Ronald Powell, he has the raw talent that just wasn't realized in college even though he was a former no. 1 prospect. He dealt with injuries at Florida and last season was finally able to see the field consistently and he finally began to put it together. If RR can tap into that potential he could be a good player.

You can't really tell until at least the end of this season. What that said I'm very happy with our choices. I think Cooks is going to be well worth moving up to get and I'm more interested in Khairi Fortt. Have a very good feeling about him.

You can't really tell until at least the end of this season. What that said I'm very happy with our choices. I think Cooks is going to be well worth moving up to get and I'm more interested in Khairi Fortt. Have a very good feeling about him.

Fortt's injury history is what concerns me...although, we only drafted him in the 4th round.

Might be worth the risk.

Draft grading is about as useful and accurate as predicting what the weather is gonna be like a year from now.

Who the **** knows?

Saw some other dude put it like this:

It's like judging a chef's meal based off the menu description before actually eating it...

Fortt's injury history is what concerns me...although, we only drafted him in the 4th round.

Might be worth the risk.

I watched some of his film on draft breakdown.

One analysis I found that I agreed with after watching him.

Fortt jumps out as a size-strength-speed prospect, but lacks the in between traits that make a football player. Though possessing a high upside and skill set that translates well to a run-and-hit defense, it’s hard project him as a starter given his lack of production on film. Ultimately I doubt he will live up to his grade here and could fail to earn a second contract and regret declaring early.

Since Ray posted the average grade, that can prove misleading.

Walter Football uses the ranking it gives a player and evaluates that against a ranking of what it perceives as team need.

So if a team drafts its interpretation of best player available against Walter's interpretation of their need, the score goes down.

Also, that crazy ole bugaboo called math just shows that the more picks you make, the greater chance you have of being nearer to the average.

The grades dont appear so daunting when looking at the totals by team:

Grade A player picks: Falcons (2), Carolina (1), Tampa (1)

Grade A- player picks: Falcons (1), Carolina (1), Tampa (1), Saints (1)

Grade B+ player pics: Falcons (1), Tampa (1)

Grade B player picks: Falcons (1), Carolina (2), Saints (1)

Grade B- player picks: Falcons (1) Saints (1)

Grade C+ player pics: Carolina (2), Tampa (1), Saints (1)

Grade C player picks: Falcons (2), Carolina (1) Saints (1)

Grade C- player picks: Falcons (1) Saints (1)

Grade D player picks: Tampa (1)

Then there was something called the Millen grade which was assigned to one of Tampa's picks for a pick that made no sense to Walter Football whatsoever.

I am sure that brought Tampa's overall grade down tremendously.

Since Ray posted the average grade, that can prove misleading.

Walter Football uses the ranking it gives a player and evaluates that against a ranking of what it perceives as team need.

So if a team drafts its interpretation of best player available against Walter's interpretation of their need, the score goes down.

Also, that crazy ole bugaboo called math just shows that the more picks you make, the greater chance you have of being nearer to the average.

The grades dont appear so daunting when looking at the totals by team:

Grade A player picks: Falcons (2), Carolina (1), Tampa (1)

Grade A- player picks: Falcons (1), Carolina (1), Tampa (1), Saints (1)

Grade B+ player pics: Falcons (1), Tampa (1)

Grade B player picks: Falcons (1), Carolina (2), Saints (1)

Grade B- player picks: Falcons (1) Saints (1)

Grade C+ player pics: Carolina (2), Tampa (1), Saints (1)

Grade C player picks: Falcons (2), Carolina (1) Saints (1)

Grade C- player picks: Falcons (1) Saints (1)

Grade D player picks: Tampa (1)

Then there was something called the Millen grade which was assigned to one of Tampa's picks for a pick that made no sense to Walter Football whatsoever.

I am sure that brought Tampa's overall grade down tremendously.

Falcons with TWO A grade players selected? Did Jake Matthews morph into TWO players?rolleyes.gif

re: previous post: (sorry, the table kinda reformatted on me during the posting)

Anyway, since it was widely regarded before the draft that the Falcons major need was depth, I think the Falcons did well in upgrading their depth.

The Saints were one receiver away from a Super Bowl and they got him.

Carolina won the division without receivers last year and they got the receiver "THEY" wanted (which is kind of important.)

And Tampa got low grades for not drafting a QB, but they have the best 1-2 QB combo in the division.

Good drafting by all NFCS teams... now, lets see who translates it to the field.

Falcons with TWO A grade players selected? Did Jake Matthews morph into TWO players?rolleyes.gif

Its not 2 grade A players, its the value that they got in the spot that they picked as it related to the needs of the team.

New math buddy... and SaintRay is trying to sell it as grades the way us old schoolers would grade it.

Its not 2 grade A players, its the value that they got in the spot that they picked as it related to the needs of the team.

New math buddy... and SaintRay is trying to sell it as grades the way us old schoolers would grade it.

Old math sucked as it was, this new math is forking ridiculous!

Hageman was predicted by several people to go in the first. originally, I didn't like that pick but the more I read about him, the more I thought it was a good pick and good value

also, as danight said, having a great DE doesn't mean anything if your DTs don't get a push up the middle and allow the QB to step up. Also, Hageman may be able to anchor the DE position in a 3-4

Hageman was predicted by several people to go in the first. originally, I didn't like that pick but the more I read about him, the more I thought it was a good pick and good value also, as danight said, having a great DE doesn't mean anything if your DTs don't get a push up the middle and allow the QB to step up. Also, Hageman may be able to anchor the DE position in a 3-4

Actually, the other A grade was for Yawin Smallwood...

here is the link where you can view team by team evals: http://walterfootball.com/offseason.php