Hageman Is A 3-4 De, Not A Dt/nt

Seeing a lot of people saying Hageman is a backup to Soliai, or a DT in 4-3 sets (he might be there, MIGHT be) - but we drafted this guy as a pure 3-4DE. That's what he projects as. He is pretty much size-wise the same as Tyson Jackson, just more suited to pass rush than run stopping.

So we now have as a starting front 3: Tyson Jackson (Run stopper) Paul Soliai (Run stopper) and Ra'Shede Hageman (Pass rusher) - DE/NT/DE respectively.

That's a massive front 3. I can't imagine Brees feeling comfortable with those guys powering down on him + Osi/Mass/Maponga/Biermann/whoever else edge rushing. It will be good.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing a lot of people saying Hageman is a backup to Soliai, or a DT in 4-3 sets (he might be there, MIGHT be) - but we drafted this guy as a pure 3-4DE. That's what he projects as. He is pretty much size-wise the same as Tyson Jackson, just more suited to pass rush than run stopping.

So we now have as a starting front 3: Tyson Jackson (Run stopper) Paul Soliai (Run stopper) and Ra'Shede Hageman (Pass rusher) - DE/NT/DE respectively.

That's a massive front 3. I can't imagine Brees feeling comfortable with those guys powering down on him + Osi/Mass/Maponga/Biermann/whoever else edge rushing. It will be good.

He can play any position on the D-line from the 0 to 9 technique. Now what they decide to do with him is a different story. Don't look at the size cause you have some small guys playing NT like Bunkley from NO

From what I've learned about the guy, he could play all three spots on the front in a 3-4, so if something happens to Soliai, he could probably fill in there.

I initially thought he may start out as a 3-4 DE and move to NT when Soliai declines, but especially after this draft and FA showed that NT isn't hard to find anymore, I can see them keeping his weight down and taking advantage of his ability to reap more havok than just limiting him as an anchor at DT. Sure he could do it, but seems like that limits his upside.

He's going to be a DE in the 3-4 sets and a UT in the 4-3 sets. there willb e WAY more 3-4 looks than there use to be, but expect this to be the case. If we stop using the hybrid, expect BBDB even more.

I would of never thought NT. That jus seems dumb to me.

Only on 3-3-5 in pure passings ituations.

He's going to be a DE in the 3-4 sets and a UT in the 4-3 sets. there willb e WAY more 3-4 looks than there use to be, but expect this to be the case. If we stop using the hybrid, expect BBDB even more.

Only on 3-3-5 in pure passings ituations.

Ahh okay. Seemed like a waste with him, that makes more sense.

Ahh okay. Seemed like a waste with him, that makes more sense.

It WOULD be a huge waste. I don't know where people are getting thta from. Not having guys like Soliai, Jackson, and Hageman kept us from being able to use those 3-4 sets more dangerously. I would also venture to remind that Red Bryant was the Seahawk's main LE, he was bigger than the inside linemen, This allowed more havoc on the outside rush. They playa 4-3 Under. So does the Ravens quite a bit.

Not really many think Jernigan would be best suited as a 3-4 NT. There are 2 different types of NT you can use but if you are going with a small guy you want some size at ILB. Hageman may be able to do it but probably not his best position or really natural at it.

Just a reminder: Hageman is a 3-4 DE, 3-4 NT and 4-3 DT. Bank on it. Why you don't think so, I have no idea. Just re-run the 2012-2013 tapes and you will find the likes of Babineaux, Peters and Jelly in multiple roles. What makes you think 2014 will be any different for Hageman?

Hageman is a great fit for our hybrid defense and he makes me more excitied to see how our 4-3 sets work.

The great thing about a player like Hageman is that he can play the 5-tech AND play NT in 4-3 situations. So, imagine these 4-3 packages...

1. Osi/Mass/Maponga, Babs, Hageman, Goodman

2. Mass/Maponga/Osi, Hageman, Soliai, Goodman

3. Babs, Hageman, Soliai, Goodman

I love the 3-4, but now I'm excited about our 4-3 again...

He can play any position on the D-line from the 0 to 9 technique. Now what they decide to do with him is a different story. Don't look at the size cause you have some small guys playing NT like Bunkley from NO

Exactly I would'nt pigeon hole Hageman into anyone spot our defense is reknowned for using different looking fronts I can see Hageman on the nose in a 4 man front.

Jackson is our 5-tech DE. Hageman is our 3-tech DT/Ut.

At the end of the day some of these guys are interchangeable. That's what Nolan likes. They won't be just 5 tech or 3 tech. Done of then can move across the line. That's why I don't get as technical as you because they will move around. If 3 guys have their hand in the dirt it's a 3 man front. 4 guys 4 man front. Who plays what and wether it's a 4-3 under, over, or base 3-4 doesn't matter. His position won't change much in the grand scheme of things. He'll be mostly a DE in 3 man fronts. May slide inside UT in 4 man fronts just by positioning. No matter what technique he's using.