Walterfootball Grades The Whole Draft!

iDash

Say what you want about walterfootball, but they study the Football Players 24/7, year round!

Way more than TD&Co.!

I am not saying they are better,

but they put a lot of time into it!

I am just glad he doesn't have the Falcons picking first in 2015!

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2015.php

20. Atlanta Falcons: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin Wisconsin_logo.gif

2014 NFL Mock Draft selection: Jake Matthews, OT

Steven Jackson was a disappointment last year. He was injured though, so he deserves a second chance. If he continues to struggle, however, the Falcons will look into upgrading the running back position during the following offseason, and they may just wait until the draft because it'll be packed with prospects at this position.

2014 Draft Grades

http://walterfootbal...draftgrades.php

6.Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M: A Grade

Would anyone be surprised if Jake Matthews ends up being the best tackle in this draft? No one should be. Jake Matthews doesn't have Greg Robinson's athleticism, but he's still a stud, and he's the best the Falcons could have hoped for without trading up (Khalil Mack was not getting by Oakland). Protecting Matt Ryan is paramount, especially after this past season, and Atlanta has just added a major piece to keep its quarterback off the ground.

37. Atlanta Falcons: Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota: C Grade

How many defensive linemen do the Falcons need? They signed so many this offseason, and they had so many other needs. There's decent value with Ra'Shede Hageman, so this pick isn't terrible, but Hageman is blocked with all of the talent ahead of him on the depth chart. He's also basically a height-weight-speed guy, so he has a high bust rate. I feel like Atlanta panicked a bit because all of the players it was considering went off the board (Deone Bucannon, Dee Ford).

68. Atlanta Falcons: Dez Southward, S, Wisconsin: C- Grade

The Falcons started off well with Jake Matthews, but they've headed southward since. Get it, southward? Meh. Dez Southward is a reach; I had him in the sixth round of my mock, and I haven't heard any team that had him much higher. I get that Atlanta is desperate for safety help, but it could have waited for Southward.

103.Atlanta Falcons: Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State: A- Grade

There were some less-talented running backs chosen before Devonta Freeman, so I really like this value for Atlanta. Steven Jackson was a major disappointment this past year, so the Falcons need to find a long-term solution who could perhaps step in this season if Jackson struggles again. Freeman has Rookie of the Year potential if Jackson gets hurt.

275884.jpg

139. Atlanta Falcons: Prince Shembo, DE/OLB, Notre Dame: B- Grade

The Falcons finally get their pass-rushing linebacker. They showed a ton of interest in Prince Shembo throughout the pre-draft process, so it's no surprise that they're picking him a little earlier than he was projected to go.

147. Atlanta Falcons: Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue: B+ Grade

Ricardo Allen could have been chosen a bit earlier than this, so I like this selection. The Falcons had to address their cornerback depth, so this is a pretty solid choice.

168. Atlanta Falcons: Marquis Spruill, ILB, Syracuse: C Grade

The Falcons had to find some linebacker depth, so picking a player at the position in the fifth round makes sense. However, they chose a seventh-round prospect; they could have obtained him later and chosen a better prospect here instead.

253. Atlanta Falcons: Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut: A Grade

I thought Yawin Smallwood would go much earlier than this. There was a ton of interest in him during the pre-draft process, so seeing him fall to the seventh round is surprising. The Falcons are doing a good job of adding depth to their linebacking corps, and I like Smallwood as a prospect better than the other linebacker they chose.

255. Atlanta Falcons: Tyler Starr, DE/OLB, South Dakota: B Grade

Another linebacker, but this one can get after the quarterback. The value is right for Tyler Starr, and considering the lack of talent at pass-rushing linebacker, the South Dakota prospect could definitely make the roster.

You can give a final grade to the players after 2-3 years,

hopefully,

they all work for the Falcons!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I don't really get all the HATE on the Ra'shede Hageman pick. I agree that he is not a finished product and his motor needs to run a little more consistent - but he is a "top 10" type talent and we got him in 2nd round - we now have a REAL defensive line coach and Hageman should be a star in 2-3 years and be able to contribute immediately.

DeMarcus Lawrence? I liked him but he probably has a higher bust factor than Hageman - whose size and athleticism are special.

yeah, I don't really get all the HATE on the Ra'shede Hageman pick. I agree that he is not a finished product and his motor needs to run a little more consistent - but he is a "top 10" type talent and we got him in 2nd round - we now have a REAL defensive line coach and Hageman should be a star in 2-3 years and be able to contribute immediately.

DeMarcus Lawrence? I liked him but he probably has a higher bust factor than Hageman - whose size and athleticism are special.

I did NOT want Lawrence & was happy to see Dallas jump us to get him. Hageman is who I wanted us to trade down & get (honestly would have been happy to get him in the first with our 6 pick but that is just me). He was a steal.

His write-up on Soliai:

Paul Soliai is a great fit for the Falcons. He can play in any scheme, and the Falcons play multiple fronts, so it makes a ton of sense. Soliai is a monstrous run-stuffer and can also get after the quarterback, so he'll provide a massive upgrade for Atlanta on the interior.

Usually when a team signs a predominantly 3-4 NT, a 3-4 DE, and drafts someone projected to play 3-4 DE then that's a big enough hint at a scheme shift. They'll probably use 4-3 fronts when they get rotated since the depth is still geared towards a 4-3 but it's just a holdover until they fully flesh it out next year.

Say what you want about walterfootball, but they study the Football Players 24/7, year round!

Way more than TD&Co.!

I am not saying they are better,

but they put a lot of time into it!

I am just glad he doesn't have the Falcons picking first in 2015!

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2015.php

20. Atlanta Falcons: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin Wisconsin_logo.gif

2014 NFL Mock Draft selection: Jake Matthews, OT

Steven Jackson was a disappointment last year. He was injured though, so he deserves a second chance. If he continues to struggle, however, the Falcons will look into upgrading the running back position during the following offseason, and they may just wait until the draft because it'll be packed with prospects at this position.

2014 Draft Grades

http://walterfootbal...draftgrades.php

6.Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M: A Grade

Would anyone be surprised if Jake Matthews ends up being the best tackle in this draft? No one should be. Jake Matthews doesn't have Greg Robinson's athleticism, but he's still a stud, and he's the best the Falcons could have hoped for without trading up (Khalil Mack was not getting by Oakland). Protecting Matt Ryan is paramount, especially after this past season, and Atlanta has just added a major piece to keep its quarterback off the ground.

37. Atlanta Falcons: Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota: C Grade

How many defensive linemen do the Falcons need? They signed so many this offseason, and they had so many other needs. There's decent value with Ra'Shede Hageman, so this pick isn't terrible, but Hageman is blocked with all of the talent ahead of him on the depth chart. He's also basically a height-weight-speed guy, so he has a high bust rate. I feel like Atlanta panicked a bit because all of the players it was considering went off the board (Deone Bucannon, Dee Ford).

68. Atlanta Falcons: Dez Southward, S, Wisconsin: C- Grade

The Falcons started off well with Jake Matthews, but they've headed southward since. Get it, southward? Meh. Dez Southward is a reach; I had him in the sixth round of my mock, and I haven't heard any team that had him much higher. I get that Atlanta is desperate for safety help, but it could have waited for Southward.

103.Atlanta Falcons: Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State: A- Grade

There were some less-talented running backs chosen before Devonta Freeman, so I really like this value for Atlanta. Steven Jackson was a major disappointment this past year, so the Falcons need to find a long-term solution who could perhaps step in this season if Jackson struggles again. Freeman has Rookie of the Year potential if Jackson gets hurt.

275884.jpg

139. Atlanta Falcons: Prince Shembo, DE/OLB, Notre Dame: B- Grade

The Falcons finally get their pass-rushing linebacker. They showed a ton of interest in Prince Shembo throughout the pre-draft process, so it's no surprise that they're picking him a little earlier than he was projected to go.

147. Atlanta Falcons: Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue: B+ Grade

Ricardo Allen could have been chosen a bit earlier than this, so I like this selection. The Falcons had to address their cornerback depth, so this is a pretty solid choice.

168. Atlanta Falcons: Marquis Spruill, ILB, Syracuse: C Grade

The Falcons had to find some linebacker depth, so picking a player at the position in the fifth round makes sense. However, they chose a seventh-round prospect; they could have obtained him later and chosen a better prospect here instead.

253. Atlanta Falcons: Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut: A Grade

I thought Yawin Smallwood would go much earlier than this. There was a ton of interest in him during the pre-draft process, so seeing him fall to the seventh round is surprising. The Falcons are doing a good job of adding depth to their linebacking corps, and I like Smallwood as a prospect better than the other linebacker they chose.

255. Atlanta Falcons: Tyler Starr, DE/OLB, South Dakota: B Grade

Another linebacker, but this one can get after the quarterback. The value is right for Tyler Starr, and considering the lack of talent at pass-rushing linebacker, the South Dakota prospect could definitely make the roster.

You can give a final grade to the players after 2-3 years,

hopefully,

they all work for the Falcons!

Ok what I take from this is that he has no idea what we have at DT. Then you get a A grade for taking a player in the 7th that he thought should be a 3rd or 4th and you get a C- for taking a player in the 3rd I had going in the 6th. How dare you I know what I am talking about. Granted I did not have visits scheduled or personal workouts or talk to teammates, coaches and family members, but I know.

Alrighty then!

Did the real draft match up with anyone's mock? All the message board GMs missed this year.

all you have to do is go to Draftnut's "pick 20" game in the nfl draft and free agency forum to see how good us "messageboard GMs" are at guessing - I got the 1st round pick right but that was it - laugh.png

(i was guaranteed of getting that one right because I had about 6 guys that were going to be our 1st round pick). So, I was basically OFER.

http://boards.atlant...20/page__st__20

actually, one guy on the board got 4 picks - Matthews, Hageman, Ricardo Allen, Devonta Freeman - pretty dayum good. trying to figure out how he cheated - LOL.

I don't think Walter realizes how much we rotate linemen. This would lead to him giving us the grade that he did from a "value" perspective.

Even if. Who is standing in Hagemens way? Babs? All 33 years of him?