A Lot Will Be Riding On The Development Of Hageman

We all know about the dreaded 'Falcon Filter'... Arthur Blank doesn't like dealing with knuckleheads, and who could blame him? Especially after what went down with Vick and MeAngelo. It brings the wrong kind of attention to the franchise, and Blank values reputation more than anything. Since the hiring of TD and Mike Smith, the franchise has been dedicated to bringing in blue collar, intelligent/fundimental guys.

But, after last season, TD and co. felt it was time to abandon that philosophy. But instead of going completely crazy and signing a bunch if nutcases, they probably figured it would be best to take baby steps and see what happens...

Enter the Hageman

Now Hageman isn't a bad character, he's just a bad decision maker with an attitude as explosive as his athleticism. But, he loves football and wants to lose himself in it. He isn't the typical TD pic by anymeans, which will hopefully be a good thing. Little does he know, how he pans out will determine if Blank will take more risks bringing in players like him...

On the other hand, I think the kind of locker room we have would be GREAT for him. There aren't many organizations as stable and professional. Players like Roddy, Ryan, Julio, and Willie Mo could be great role models. A great mix of of people who lead with words and by example.

When it comes to players like Hageman, we always worry about how someone like him can hurt a locker room...

But we never considered how a locker room like ours could save a player like him. Not until now.

Hageman will be fine. I have no doubt. I dont think a rokkie is gonna walk in and ruin our locker room. If Smitty actually was concerned about that in the past then he is dumb. I would understand in 2008-2009, but in the past 3-4 years we have been fine. As far as his development as a player, Cox will play a big role in that. I hear they have a great relationship already from the senior bowl. that is one benefit of losing so much last year. we got to coach the senior bowl, and I dont think we draft hageman without coaching him at the senior bowl first.

Cox will make sure he is alright. Had a love/hate relationship with each other at the senior bowl.

Love/hate?

As crazy as Hageman is, I would rather see all love and no hate lol. He is just the player our defense needs.

Edited by Macintez

Hopefully he has matured as a person. My biggest concern is his own admission he takes plays off. I also read one analysts description of him as 1st round talent with a 3rd round motor. Hopefully Cox can get the motor closer to the talent level then we will have an impact player.

For all we know Blank was all for it. He's been talking about lack of toughness and wanting to see more emotion from the team.

There is definitely a place for Hageman's type, and the Falcons organizational approach should keep him in line. You just can't become the Bengals and let the inmates run the asylum.

That's one thing that I've noticed about a lot of our draftees that hasn't really been said much. Seems like all or at least most of our picks are really enthusiastic about being a Falcon. Who wouldn't be? Also, that a lot of these guys play with a lot of emotion/passion. Jake is obviously "excited" and hoped that he would become a Falcon because he understands how great of an organization this is and that we are a good team. Hageman's passion clearly showed when he was drafted. Freeman in his phone interview was also ecstatic about the Falcons taking him and is said to be one of the hardest workers. Ricardo Allen plays with a lot of attitude, you can see that in his videos after every hit or play he makes.

Overall, we've gotten a bunch of hardworking and passionate guys who play with attitude. Let's just hope Smitty understands that he can't be a buzzkill at killing the attitude. Watching Smitty chew out Asante for showing some 'swagger' after picking off Brees on the first play of the game in New Orleans (2012) was absolutely disgusting. Pure disgusting. I'm not going to be able to handle that again if Smitty is out there killing the energy, I'd probably take a sledgehammer to my TV lol.

We all know about the dreaded 'Falcon Filter'... Arthur Blank doesn't like dealing with knuckleheads, and who could blame him? Especially after what went down with Vick and MeAngelo. It brings the wrong kind of attention to the franchise, and Blank values reputation more than anything. Since the hiring of TD and Mike Smith, the franchise has been dedicated to bringing in blue collar, intelligent/fundimental guys.

But, after last season, TD and co. felt it was time to abandon that philosophy. But instead of going completely crazy and signing a bunch if nutcases, they probably figured it would be best to take baby steps and see what happens...

Enter the Hageman

Now Hageman isn't a bad character, he's just a bad decision maker with an attitude as explosive as his athleticism. But, he loves football and wants to lose himself in it. He isn't the typical TD pic by anymeans, which will hopefully be a good thing. Little does he know, how he pans out will determine if Blank will take more risks bringing in players like him...

On the other hand, I think the kind of locker room we have would be GREAT for him. There aren't many organizations as stable and professional. Players like Roddy, Ryan, Julio, and Willie Mo could be great role models. A great mix of of people who lead with words and by example.

When it comes to players like Hageman, we always worry about how someone like him can hurt a locker room...

But we never considered how a locker room like ours could save a player like him. Not until now.

he's not a TD pick? he's a captain and a senior...probably the safest you can get when trying to pluck a team's 'tough guy'

Hopefully he has matured as a person. My biggest concern is his own admission he takes plays off. I also read one analysts description of him as 1st round talent with a 3rd round motor. Hopefully Cox can get the motor closer to the talent level then we will have an impact player.

Consistency is the big knock on him. A lot of it may stem from the fact that he just doesn't know what he is doing rather than a lack of desire or passion, because he is pretty unrefined. He seems like a pretty emotional, intense player, and those usually aren't the ones you have to worry about giving consistent effort.

Watching Smitty chew out Asante for showing some 'swagger' after picking off Brees on the first play of the game in New Orleans (2012) was absolutely disgusting. Pure disgusting.

He wasn't chewing him out for showing swagger, he was chewing him out for getting an unsportsmanlike.

he's not a TD pick? he's a captain and a senior...probably the safest you can get when trying to pluck a team's 'tough guy'

I was surprised by this pick... He's a hot head and who can blame him after all he's been through. This is the first time I can remember TD drafting a player that plays with some attitude. He isn't a bad character, but I know for a fact that if this was two years ago TD and Smitty would be fearful of trusting a player like this. Trouble always seems to find a person like Hageman. I'm happy TD broke character somewhat and drafted him. I think he'll fit right in and pay huge dividends immediately.

I was surprised by this pick... He's a hot head and who can blame him after all he's been through. This is the first time I can remember TD drafting a player that plays with some attitude. He isn't a bad character, but I know for a fact that if this was two years ago TD and Smitty would be fearful of trusting a player like this. Trouble always seems to find a person like Hageman. I'm happy TD broke character somewhat and drafted him. I think he'll fit right in and pay huge dividends immediately.

you blowing up my notifications man lol

but yeah, I can see that...it's nice to see TD at least putting his toe in the water to test it. and I think this is the type of 'questionable' character guy that this locker room can mold

Guest facelessman07

He wasn't chewing him out for showing swagger, he was chewing him out for getting an unsportsmanlike.

Smitty was chewing him out cuz Smitty is a *****.......

Smitty himself said that he needed to change after last year. Don't kill the kids fun and passion Smitty, let that playas play!

D@mn, didn't know pvssy was edited out lol

Edited by facelessman07

Smitty was chewing him out cuz Smitty is a *****.......

Smitty himself said that he needed to change after last year. Don't kill the kids fun and passion Smitty, let that playas play!

D@mn, didn't know pvssy was edited out lol

I don't think there are many coaches at any level from Pop Warner up who will let unsportsmanlikes slide.

Guest facelessman07

I don't think there are many coaches at any level from Pop Warner up who will let unsportsmanlikes slide.

Smitty himself said he needed to change, this confirms what a bunch of us have been saying all along

I could care less about any minor character issues Hageman is believed to have. My issue with the guy is that he'll be a 24 year old rookie who's extremely raw, lacks a consistent motor and probably shouldn't be starting for the Falcons next year. That's not a 37th overall pick in my mind. They guy has a ton of potential but he's gonna take years to develop and might never make it.

After the safest pick in the draft in round 1, we come back and take two risky workout warrior projects in the 2nd and 3rd. I only see two immediate starters in this draft, Matthews and Freeman. Still not sure what we're going to do with safety and our anemic pass rush. At least our offense should be clicking again and we'll need it. Our defense is going to struggle horribly against the pass.

Edited by Mekias

I could care less about any minor character issues Hageman is believed to have. My issue with the guy is that he'll be a 24 year old rookie who's extremely raw, lacks a consistent motor and probably shouldn't be starting for the Falcons next year. That's not a 37th overall pick in my mind. They guy has a ton of potential but he's gonna take years to develop and might never make it.

After the safest pick in the draft in round 1, we come back and take two risky workout warrior projects in the 2nd and 3rd. I only see two immediate starters in this draft, Matthews and Freeman. Still not sure what we're going to do with safety and our anemic pass rush. At least our offense should be clicking again and we'll need it. Our defense is going to struggle horribly against the pass.

Put down the crack pipe buddy.