This Was Easily This Regimes Best Draft

Man am I excited in a way I haven't been since we drafted Matt Ryan.

As somebody who has heavily criticized Dimitroff in the past for his horrible talent evaluation and draft strategy, I have to take my hand off [/Mike Tyson] to him as well as Pioli for them stating their goals and addressing the areas they wanted to prove, and then going out and drafting the guys that hopefully will help restore this team to contention.

Getting Tougher was the mantra, and It looks like we've done just that. Matthews and Hageman were two guys that I've wanted for months, and the fact we were able to get both of them is incredible. I know little of Southward but he looks big and physical, as do the 4 linebackers we drafted. Angry seems to be the theme of this draft class.

The two picks that I'm most excited about however are Ricardo Allen and Devonta Freeman. Their talent jumps out immediately in the tape. Freeman should come in and be the immediate change of pace guy to Jackson, and I expect Allen to be the starting nickel corner going into the season.

I haven't been this excited about a whole draft EVER as a Falcons fan.

Competition competition competition competition competition competition competition competition competition competition.

That's what I see, competition all across the defense. The safeties, even the 3rd-6th cornerback spots (McClain, Arenas, Wilson, and Allen) and now the linebackers. Nobody's jobs are safe and that's how it should be. No more good ole boy system with keeping Nic and Dent in as starters until they get hurt and physically can't be on the field. I've hoped all along after we discovered Worrilow and Bartu that Smitty realizes that we have to let everyone get a shot instead of playing favorites/guys with tenure. Love this! Love this! Love this!

Competition competition competition competition competition competition competition competition competition competition.

That's what I see, competition all across the defense. The safeties, even the 3rd-6th cornerback spots (McClain, Arenas, Wilson, and Allen) and now the linebackers. Nobody's jobs are safe and that's how it should be. No more good ole boy system with keeping Nic and Dent in as starters until they get hurt and physically can't be on the field. I've hoped all along after we discovered Worrilow and Bartu that Smitty realizes that we have to let everyone get a shot instead of playing favorites/guys with tenure. Love this! Love this! Love this!

I'll piggy back off this and say flexibility!! No more being pinned into one type of defensive scheme because we don't have the players capable of playing a different style of defense. We've got guys that allows us to play any kind of defense imaginable. Want to go 4-3? No problem. What to go 3-4? No problem. Want to go 5-2? No problem. What to go 4-6? No problem. What to go 4-2-5? No problem. Want to bring the blitz from the inside and drop the ends into coverage? No problem. Want to bring the zero coverage blitz? No problem. I haven't been this excited about the Atlanta Falcons defense in YEARS!!

Agreed 100%

I'm so glad that Weatherspoon has been put on the hot seat. A couple years too late, but it's about time. One of the more overrated players to join this team.

Competition has only ever bred success. This is a very good thing to finally have happening with this team. Like you said, too much good ole boy club going on here.

Agreed 100%

I'm so glad that Weatherspoon has been put on the hot seat. A couple years too late, but it's about time. One of the more overrated players to join this team.

Competition has only ever bred success. This is a very good thing to finally have happening with this team. Like you said, too much good ole boy club going on here.

Indeed. At this point I'd say the only two starters from last years defense whose jobs are 100% safe are Moore and Trufant. Everyone else is going to have to fight really hard for playing time. It's exactly what we needed.

Man am I excited in a way I haven't been since we drafted Matt Ryan.

As somebody who has heavily criticized Dimitroff in the past for his horrible talent evaluation and draft strategy, I have to take my hand off [/Mike Tyson] to him as well as Pioli for them stating their goals and addressing the areas they wanted to prove, and then going out and drafting the guys that hopefully will help restore this team to contention.

Getting Tougher was the mantra, and It looks like we've done just that. Matthews and Hageman were two guys that I've wanted for months, and the fact we were able to get both of them is incredible. I know little of Southward but he looks big and physical, as do the 4 linebackers we drafted. Angry seems to be the theme of this draft class.

The two picks that I'm most excited about however are Ricardo Allen and Devonta Freeman. Their talent jumps out immediately in the tape. Freeman should come in and be the immediate change of pace guy to Jackson, and I expect Allen to be the starting nickel corner going into the season.

I haven't been this excited about a whole draft EVER as a Falcons fan.

I'm on board with you. We only got 1 sexy and pick out of this drat. TD and Co are going to turn this Volvo C70 into an SL600 AMG. The other picks are going to tear the field up. I can't wait for the season to start. Rise Up!!!

I'll piggy back off this and say flexibility!! No more being pinned into one type of defensive scheme because we don't have the players capable of playing a different style of defense. We've got guys that allows us to play any kind of defense imaginable. Want to go 4-3? No problem. What to go 3-4? No problem. Want to go 5-2? No problem. What to go 4-6? No problem. What to go 4-2-5? No problem. Want to bring the blitz from the inside and drop the ends into coverage? No problem. Want to bring the zero coverage blitz? No problem. I haven't been this excited about the Atlanta Falcons defense in YEARS!!

You nailed it bud! Flexibility AND unpredictability that our defense has. The opposing offense won't know what %$#@ is going to be thrown at them and lots of times we probably won't know either lol! I already liked the Southward pick and I like it even more now. Southward has some nice size for a DB and is really fast at roaming around the field. He seems like a broom who will sweep up any run that gets by our front 7 somehow (not sure how you're going to get by our front 7 with all of the guys on our line plus Worrilow and the other LBs). Willy Mo too, we already know he can do that. Heck even for a corner, Ricardo Allen has been see jacking up ball carriers. This defense is very very very capable of stopping the run by keeping everything in front of them; you stop the run then the easier it is to stop the pass.

The season opener at Chicago back in 2011 where the Bears defense kept our offense in front of them the whole time where we couldn't do anything offensively, yeah that was ANNOYING! Now I think we can do that to our opponents smile.png

Agreed 100%

I like Weatherspoon and wish he could stay healthy but let's face it. He's not a guy you build a defense around. He's a good contributing player who unfortunately has trouble staying on the field. There's always been that vibe of "Oh no what are you talking about, there's no way Spoon gets cut! There's no way he even gets benched!" Well now, he's going to have to prove it. Can't just sit back and let the spot be handed to you. Definitely not saying he will be cut this year because I HIGHLY doubt that, but after this year? Ya never know!

Edited by CTann

For the people who didn't like the Dezmen Southward pick, just remember when we drafted Alford in 2013. Most of us that hadn't done research on him didn't like the pick either.

I don't think that was because people didn't do their research on Alford. Alford was shooting up the draft charts all offseason leading up to the draft. I think a lot of the head-scratching that was going on was because people didn't understand the double dip on cornerbacks. Once everyone saw them play though, I imagine they forgot rather quickly.