• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Marquis Spruill

Position: outside linebacker

Ranking: No. 17

Draft outlook: "I think Spruill, to me, the all-star game helped him," Kiper had said, referring to Spruill's showing in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. "He was a heck of a player. Gives you range and productivity as a back-up special teamer initially, as a sixth-, seventh-round pick. I think he'll help you."

Notes: Spruill has always had freakish athletic numbers that will jump off a scouting report. He said following his pro day workout that teams have mentioned the possibility of using him in their nickel package.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2014/05/nfl_draft_2014_marquis_spruill_jay_bromley_are_best_syracuse_football_prospects.html

Edited by jlrfalcon

Dent and Bartu are probably on their ways out with the scheme shift.

no, this guy is a special teamer

What's the info on this guy? At inside linebacker, we already have Spoon, Worrilow, Bartu, and Dent. Not sure if this pick makes sense.

depth. Just a special teams guy

Name: Marquis Spruill

Position: outside linebacker

Ranking: No. 17

Draft outlook: "I think Spruill, to me, the all-star game helped him," Kiper had said, referring to Spruill's showing in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. "He was a heck of a player. Gives you range and productivity as a back-up special teamer initially, as a sixth-, seventh-round pick. I think he'll help you."

Notes: Spruill has always had freakish athletic numbers that will jump off a scouting report. He said following his pro day workout that teams have mentioned the possibility of using him in their nickel package.

http://www.syracuse...._prospects.html

I can't help but get the feeling the real theme of this draft is to get high upside prospects who are incredibly athletic.

Why Bartu? We still have the same scheme.. A hybrid defense.

If you can't see the writing on the wall after the Hageman pick then I don't know what will.

TRENGTHS

Plays with intensity and is around the ball a lot. Very good hustle, range and pursuit effort. Plays with good balance and is quick to read his keys and negotiate his way through traffic. Secure tackler. Flashes explosive striking ability. Effective blitzer with outstanding closing burst. Respected, vocal team leader with an infectious energy to unite a locker room and command respect from teammates. Tough, durable, experienced four-year starter with good production. Has a special-teams temperament.

WEAKNESSES

Has short arms, small hands and is light-framed with limited bulk. Duck-footed, tight-ankled, stiff-hipped and straight-linish. Could stand to improve knee bend and hand use disengaging from blockers. Average functional, football-playing strength in tight quarters. Not an instant reactor. Limited ball production in coverage.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 7-Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE

A college inside 'backer who projects best to the weak side in the pros. Has the leadership qualities and mental toughness to make a mark on special teams and earn his way into a lineup.