Aints

The New Orleans Times-Picayune's Larry Holder believes the Saints' selection of CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste is "their latest step to build a Seattle-like secondary."

The transition began last season with the signing of CB Keenan Lewis and first-round selection of S Kenny Vaccaro. The Saints continued the transformation this offseason with FS Jarius Byrd and future HOFer Champ Bailey. 6-foot-2 Jean-Baptiste is another piece of that puzzle. "A year and a half ago, starting before last year's draft, we made an effort to really put a high value on size," said coach Sean Payton, "and we've been able to do that defensively." Jean-Baptiste won't get a ton of playing time as a rookie, but he has a chance to learn from one of the all-time greats in Bailey.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune May 10 - 9:22 AM

hate to say it, but Saints are having a nice draft - so are the Bucs.

Yeah both are. But the Bucs are killing it. Great free agency, great draft.

It's taken awhile, but people are learning that having 3 tall receiving options is very hard to defend, and very easy for a QB. You don't need amazing guys, just guys who'll make that catch.

he already is a good CB......looked good in bowl game against my dawgs.

And converted WRs always have a chance of being that good ballhawk. If I were taking a project, I'd almost always take a converted WR...someone who can at least make up for a few bad plays with some picks until he gets the game down and limits his mistakes.

And converted WRs always have a chance of being that good ballhawk. If I were taking a project, I'd almost always take a converted WR...someone who can at least make up for a few bad plays with some picks until he gets the game down and limits his mistakes.

Not just that, they know spacing and potential route combinations off of that spacing better than DBs because they played WR. That's the hardest part to understand in my opinion

Not just that, they know spacing and potential route combinations off of that spacing better than DBs because they played WR. That's the hardest part to understand in my opinion

That's true as well. I'm just very big on CBs, and particularly anyone you might convert to FS, being a ballhawk. In the days of back shoulder fades, and "throwing people open," a CB or FS who can't intercept the ball isn't scary. You're not worried about throwing to his side. You'll still throw to his side, even if your guy isn't open, because the worst that will happen is an incompletion.

Now, if you have to worry about an INT, you hesitate. And he who hesitates gets smacked.

hate to say it, but Saints are having a nice draft - so are the Bucs.

F the saints, all I gotta say is payback is a bitcch after that late Vaccaro hit on Matt

Soliai smears that stain off Bree's face

Edited by Nono

We were all excited when they let go of Sproles, but this Brandin Cooks kid is gonna be just as big of a thorn on our sides for a very long time (till as long as Brees is there). Between how accurate Brees is, how quick this kid is, and how Payton knows to exactly use his weapons...I hate Cooks already.

That's true as well. I'm just very big on CBs, and particularly anyone you might convert to FS, being a ballhawk. In the days of back shoulder fades, and "throwing people open," a CB or FS who can't intercept the ball isn't scary. You're not worried about throwing to his side. You'll still throw to his side, even if your guy isn't open, because the worst that will happen is an incompletion.

Now, if you have to worry about an INT, you hesitate. And he who hesitates gets smacked.

Trufant isn't a ballhawk but look at how many targets he got in the beginning of the season versus the end. But I agree with the principle because that's why Alford and Trufant fit so well. You have a low chance of completion with Trufant or you risk turning the ball over with Alford but higher chance of completion.

Here's one reason that makes me want Cyril Richardson. He's an absolute road grader. Could take over Blalock's spot in 2 years. It's going to be important that we can run the ball, considering the other 3 NFCS teams. Our run game has already improved, make it even better with Richardson.

That is why it is important to have a run game and just as they added weapons we have too. The key is to pull the safeties up with the run and then burn them with the pass. Having Jones and White back at 100% should be effective getting the one on one and we will see who wins the battle. I place the odds on our receivers. I just hope from a defensive stand point we can generate a Seahawks type pass rush, cause Nancy-Drew Breese got all kinds of disoriented when the pressure was on, especially when it came up the middle.