After Spending Time Researching Southward

LouDog.

I like the pick. He has the size, speed, and intelligence to be very good. He needs to work on his coverage skills but he is an immediate upgrade as far as tackling and not taking bad angles to the ball carrier goes. I loved the first 2 picks even though they werent who I originally wanted. This pick took a little longer but im starting to come around

I like the pick. He has the size, speed, and intelligence to be very good. He needs to work on his coverage skills but he is an immediate upgrade as far as tackling and not taking bad angles to the ball carrier goes. I loved the first 2 picks even though they werent who I originally wanted. This pick took a little longer but im starting to come around

Intelligence has been underrated as an important trait for the secondary. Until proven on the field, i'll continue to doubt it was the best pick at #68, but the combo of size, speed, and smarts should be something for Nolan to work with.

I can agree with this! Hopefully we get a decent passrush, that will help him come around faster.

our pass rush should already be much improved with us finally having real DTs to collapse the pocket but another pass rusher wouldnt hurt

Intelligence has been underrated as an important trait for the secondary. Until proven on the field, i'll continue to doubt it was the best pick at #68, but the combo of size, speed, and smarts should be something for Nolan to work with.

Agree.

He did well on the wonderlic and have you heard him speak? He's very articulate.

Rome wasn't built in a day. All our weaknesses were exposed last year. Given the cap limit and our position in the draft, I think the Falcons have addressed the roster as well as anyone.

I honestly think TD & Co. have learned a lot over 6 years. It showed this off-season :)

I really like the player but hate where he was picked. Gabe Jackson and Tre Mason were still available and would been great picks for us. The NFL draft is all about value and working the board and TD hasnt figured that out yet.

I agree with this. I think I see Nolan's influence all over this. "Give me a athlete who is a jack of all trades with a high motor." We will just have to see about the motor. He certainly has sizzling numbers. I can see why he intrigued the Falcons. Not a typical TD guy, huge upside with question marks...not a direction he normally leans.

I really like the player but hate where he was picked. Gabe Jackson and Tre Mason were still available and would been great picks for us. The NFL draft is all about value and working the board and TD hasnt figured that out yet.

He was rated as a high 3rd. He was picked high in the third. I dont see the problem

DeCoud was drafted as a gifted athlete. He had borderline CB skills in a big body. We all had great expectations for him. Unfortunately, he came up short for two main reasons:

1. He was a poor tackler.

2. He was often out of position to make plays.

The two issues are related. DeCoud never seemed to know what the heck he was supposed to do. Perhaps it was a prossessing problem, I don't know. Now, the Falcons have drafted someone with equal or better physical skills with what appears to be a good football mind. Let's see what happens next.

So TD hasn't figured that out but you have? Can you be our GM next year then please?

I just can't get behind it. There were so many great options and we took a guy who, by all accounts, can't actually play the sport with a pick that would be the equivalent of a compensatory second, if those existed.

That's where I am. I realize that he has very little football experience and could develop into something, but rolling the dice on a guy with a floor in the basement with the 68th overall pick just doesn't make much sense to me.

I think this guys size and speed plus his experience doing different skills in college - some box SS work and good hitter, speed to play some man coverage, speed to cover FS ground.

I think Nolan hopes to disguise his coverages a lot more with versatile DBs. Sometimes he has the speed to fly back into centerfield FS zone, sometimes he can come up and stuff in the box with good size and tackling ability like another SS, sometimes he has the speed to turn and run man to man with a 3d WR or TE.

If he can do all those things even just average, it gives the defense an instant advantage to confuse a QB with scheme instead if having to beat a Calvin Johnson or Vincent Jackson on pure athletic ability.