Game Footage Of Dez Southward

cooperbh

1. Versatile

2. Fast

3. GREAT form tackler

4. Not afraid of contact

5. Good ball skills

As to the versatile thing, I read he played CB in the Senior Bowl. I also read that Robert McClain allowed 77% of passes to be completed against him along with a 125 passer rating to opposing QBs who threw in his direction in 2013 (Good respectively for 107th and 106th out of 110.) It looks like the nickle CB situation wasn't as settled as we might have believed going into this draft.

It's hard to evaluate DB's without the 11-on-11 film were you can see the entire field... You have to know what coverage they are doing and see how he reacts to effectively gauge his talent. But, I like this guy's skill set... His athleticism gives him a lot of potential and he plays patient. He uses his sideline to sideline speed well in coverage and run support, he plays as fast as his 4.43 time. He also keeps everything in front of him, which is what frustrated me about DeCoud... He had ADD when it came to sniffing out deep routes, too focused on trying to undercut deep posts.

I don't think this was a bad pick after reading up on him. Now I can't wait to see what he does when he gets an opportunity.

Edited by Macintez

The end isn't great but a lot of good stuff in there, I see lining up at CB, slot, safety, press man and off, challenged a RB coming downhill at him instead of blocking for him like Decoud, wrapped up tackling, anticipated a run from a deep safety position, came downhill blew up and shed a blocker and made the stuff, flashed the ability to highpoint and play the ball in the air.

Lot of good stuff.

Don't be surprised when he's starting at safety or nickel or both a few weeks in.

When he has his feet under him he may be the starting FS and simply walk down into the slot vs 3 WR sets and keep the same 4 DBs on the field.

6 feet + a 42 inch vert to get up there.

It's interesting seeing the Bucs and Panthers go after tall WRs and the Saints already have Colston and Graham with the Falcons taking 2 smaller fast corners last year with the Seahawks big holding corners being the new trend.

Don't forget about big ol 6'6 Hageman with a crazy 35+ vert who resets the line every snap, he's gonna be smacking a lot of Brees passes right back at him.

Looks like he seems to stand around and watch the play. He can tackle unlike DeCoud but other than that looks like DeCoud 2.0 ... 10 yards away from the ball, run around and look like you're doing something but really just taking up space.

Is it me or do these teams look small and slow? I guess that happens when you're used to watching SEC Games.

I Saw a lot of him running around the field. Not a very good tape for judging him as a player.

I'm not down on the pick, just saying I didn't see him make a play. I could only watch a couple minutes though.

It's not a "highlight" tape, it's his plays from a game.

In it you see him eliminate the runner in the open field 1 on 1, antcipate an outside run from the deep safety position, come down blow it up shed a blocker and make the tackle for a loss, get a toe tap interception, a deep safety interception, and drop an interception breaking up a 1 on 1 pass on the goal line.

For just 1 game I saw a lot of plays being made.