Southward Will Be A Steal.....

First of all he can tackle then look at this

Safety Dezmen Southward had an outstanding performance in physical testing at Wisconsin’s pro day today, but whether that will move him up much in the NFL draft is another matter.

Southward has good size for a safety – last month at the NFL scouting combine he measured at 6-0 1/8 and 211 pounds – and ran and jumped better than any of the safeties who participated in the physical testing at the combine. Southward didn't work out at the combine because of an injury concern.

Tony Pauline of walterfootball.com said Southward ran the 40 in 4.37 seconds, and a source who had been apprised of the results confirmed that time and said Southward had a 42-inch vertical jump.

Comparing Southward’s 40 time to players who ran at the scouting combine can be problematic because pro day workouts usually yield faster times for two reasons: the FieldTurf running surface at the combine is a little slower than many of the surfaces players run on for pro days, and the combine is timed electronically, which also usually yields slightly slower times than hand timing.

The man is a baller and would have moved up the board if was at the combine. You guys just hate when you dont know a name. Guy is fast can play on corners and tackle better than decoud already

First of all he can tackle then look at this

Safety Dezmen Southward had an outstanding performance in physical testing at Wisconsin’s pro day today, but whether that will move him up much in the NFL draft is another matter.

Southward has good size for a safety – last month at the NFL scouting combine he measured at 6-0 1/8 and 211 pounds – and ran and jumped better than any of the safeties who participated in the physical testing at the combine. Southward didn't work out at the combine because of an injury concern.

Tony Pauline of walterfootball.com said Southward ran the 40 in 4.37 seconds, and a source who had been apprised of the results confirmed that time and said Southward had a 42-inch vertical jump.

Comparing Southward’s 40 time to players who ran at the scouting combine can be problematic because pro day workouts usually yield faster times for two reasons: the FieldTurf running surface at the combine is a little slower than many of the surfaces players run on for pro days, and the combine is timed electronically, which also usually yields slightly slower times than hand timing.

The man is a baller and would have moved up the board if was at the combine. You guys just hate when you dont know a name. Guy is fast can play on corners and tackle better than decoud already

this

Based on the pro day numbers alone. With that 40 time and vertical jump if he would have looked just above average in the drills he would have moved way up if he had been able to go at the combine.

I'm still not sold, but I hope he works out

Edited by RYNE

The more I look in to this guy, the more I like the pick. His measurables are off the chart. He's big, fast, fluid in his motion and agile for his size, giving him great range. He's versatile enough to have played Nickel Corner, Cornerback and safety, and the YouTube footage shows him playing across the D, lined up in press coverage on WR's on some play and playing deep centre field on others. He also prides himself in his tackling/physicality.

The one thing which is clear from the footage, is that he is quite a raw prospect though, so he won't be making an instant impact and there will be some growing pains. He needs to develop and to improve how he plays the ball in the air, which is reflected in his low INT numbers. That fine, because players taken in that part of the draft are very rarely the finished article.

TD gets criticised by many for selecting too many high floor, low ceiling types in the middle rounds. This time he selects a guy with fantastic measurable and a high upside, and he gets blasted for that as well.

The whole hate part because they don't know him is true as can be. Same people thst bish about "gems" can't seem to realize you have to find them first. A "gem" is an unknown who comes in and thrives. Can't find a "gem" without looking.

All that amd I will never condemn a kid before he even played a game. He looks decent enough for me. Hear he needs to work on his coverage but if the kid can actually tackle we already win.

I am also a person who couldn't give two ishs who is picked in the 3rd-7th. Ya certainly won't catch me crying about who was picked in a late round.

Off season ain't over anyway. This just might be a sign that he is in fact a project and we'll be signing someone in FA.

Wish the kid the best.

a good article about him and the injury causing him to miss the combine.

http://www.espnwisco...13451&is_corp=1

MADISON - Dezmen Southward was ready. The former University of Wisconsin safety had spent the previous two months preparing to show the NFL what he had flashed during his time in Madison -- the speed and athleticism that make scouts giddy. But then, just hours before he was ready to take to the turf at Lucas Oil Field for the combine, he got a text. And the news wasn’t good.

“Never saw a doctor,” Southward explained on Wednesday. “The guy that ran the combine, he showed me (a text) that said I had a fracture in my C-5 vertebrae. I’ve never injured my neck before in my career. I think I would know if I fractured my vertebrae.”

Startled and in disbelief, the Sunrise, Fla., native broke down and balled his eyes out. But he quickly gathered himself and his team decided to send his x-ray to an expert – noted surgeon Dr. Robert Watkins – the same man who performed neck surgery on Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning. And they got good news that turned Southward’s worry about his future into anger.

“He told me there was no fracture, especially on the C-5,” Southward said of Watkins. “If anything, there was a slight herniation in the C-4. It wasn’t very much of anything. He definitely told me I should have been out there running, which really angered me.”

Southward released that anger on Wednesday during UW’s Pro Day at the McClain Center. Forced to wait longer than expected due to the combine mishap, he was the story of the day, running a 40-yard dash that ranged from 4.31 to 4.38 seconds by scouts and putting up a vertical leap of 42-inches. Both figures were significantly better than anything the safeties put up at the combine, where Terrance Brooks of Florida State ran the fastest 40 in 4.42 seconds, while Brooks and Mo Alexander of Utah State each jumped 38-inches.

“I’m not sure,” Southward said about whether he surprised some people with his numbers. “I don’t know if some people expected it. Some people probably didn’t, I’m sure. I’ve heard numbers as slow as 4.55 for me projected to run, so I was excited to destroy that number, definitely did that. Hopefully the eyes that were already on me opened up a little bit more and the ones that weren’t, they saw something.”

His numbers weren’t a surprise to any of his 14 former teammates that also worked out.

“I feel bad for him (not getting to compete at the combine), because he definitely would have been one of the top safeties there, hands down,” tight end Jacob Pedersen said. “We all knew, all of us, we knew Dez had it in him and he definitely came out here (on Wednesday) and performed.”

Anybody that watched Southward during his time in Madison knew he was an athletic freak. It was first on display way back in his freshman season of 2010 when he chased down an Arizona State kick returner to slow him up and allow a teammate to make a tackle just short of the goal line in a game Wisconsin would win by two points.

“I love watching Dez just run around because that’s something I don’t have,” 329-pound nose guard Beau Allen said. “(The McClain Center surface is) relatively new turf, so it’s kind of slower (than past years) and he was flying.”

Measuring in at 6-foot and 212 pounds, Southward also posted a broad jump of 10-feet, 5-inches – which would have been the second-best mark among safeties at the combine.

But it wasn’t just his timing that stood out. In the positional drills Southward was fluid in his movements and pulled in almost every ball thrown his way.

“I wasn’t surprised. I’ve seen that for years now. That’s Dez,” Chris Borland said of Southward’s fast times. “I think what he really helped himself out at was the drills. That forty and the (vertical) translated to things that actually matter on the football field. I’m really excited for Dez.”

And so is his former coach. Speaking after the Badgers’ first practice of spring ball, UW coach Gary Andersen lamented Southward not getting to flash at the combine but also lauded how he handled the situation.

Dez is a very, very athletic young man and he’s a very smart young man,” Andersen said. “I’m proud of him, especially with the setback he had at the combine and wasn’t able to compete there. I would have loved to have seen him compete on that stage with those kids but that opportunity wasn’t presented to him. He handled it well just like he always has. He didn’t bat an eye.”

But that didn’t mean it wasn’t difficult for him. Southward’s performance on Wednesday would have run circles around most of the safeties in Indianapolis. Doing that on a national stage, with cameras everywhere, could have been a huge boost to his draft stock.

“I think that was one the most frustrating experiences of my life to be held out of it,” he said. “I’m a really competitive guy. You put cleats on me and cleats on other guys, and I definitely want to go out and show what I can do. It was tough but everything happens for a reason. I was able to come here and definitely show people what I wasn’t able to do at the combine.”

Playing in a new defense last year, Southward didn’t have the season he was probably hoping for. He was fifth on the team in tackles with 40 as defensive coordinator Dave Aranda moved him all over the place, and while his versatility was on display when he lined up at cornerback against BYU and during the Senior Bowl, he’s still has plenty of room to grow after not playing a down of football until his senior year of high school. Still, his speed and size combination will be difficult for teams to overlook.

“When it’s all said and done it doesn’t take 32 teams to absolutely love you,” said Southward, who played in school record 54 games. “I think there’s a lot of buzz growing. And who knows where it’ll go from there. But at the end of the day it’s not in my court. I put everything I have out there. I’ll put everything I have into my private workouts, and then when draft day comes, I’ll be happy to see where I land.”

Only thing I've been able to find, he's good in this game for whatever that's worth.

Everyone should check out the vid, lot of good stuff in there, don't be surprised when he's the starting safety/nickel/both a few weeks in.

We may even stay in "base" personnel with only 4 DBs vs 3 WR sets and just walk him down into the slot.

People are saying he's a reach but he's tested for elite athletecism and in that video alone you see him play safety, CB, slot, press man coverage, off man coverage, take on a RB coming downhill right at him, anticipate and blow up an outside run as a deep safety shedding the blocker and making the tackle, make a nice toe tap INT, flash the ability to locate and high point the ball to break it up in man coverage.

You see everything you need out of a playmaking safety plus the ability to play CB and elite CB testing numbers as a 211 pound safety.

Can't wait to see the kid on the field.

biggest knock on him is ball skills, I'm sure thats coachable and the fact that he is raw, which will improve with experience.

In that tape (1 game?) He has 2 INTs and pass broken up/dropped INT where he locates the ball, beats the WR to it and highpoints it.

With his stats maybe it's his best game in terms of ball skills lol.

Anyways in atleast that tape he shows he can find the football and get his hands on it, and we know what kind of athlete he tested out to be. Combine that with the ability to play any DB spot he showed in that video and tackle and I think you're looking at our safety/nickel/maybe both.

My favorite part of the video is when a RB comes right at him downhill and he's right there flatfooted with the runaway train coming and instead of getting out of the way and blocking for him like Decoud he initiates contact and takes him out 1 on 1.

Only thing I've been able to find, he's good in this game for whatever that's worth.

He does nothing but stand and watch plays ... Looks like DeCoud to me ...

Funny how High School these teams look when you're used to watching SEC Teams, and Defenses ...

Edited by Tandy Gossett

Everyone should check out the vid, lot of good stuff in there, don't be surprised when he's the starting safety/nickel/both a few weeks in.

We may even stay in "base" personnel with only 4 DBs vs 3 WR sets and just walk him down into the slot.

People are saying he's a reach but he's tested for elite athletecism and in that video alone you see him play safety, CB, slot, press man coverage, off man coverage, take on a RB coming downhill right at him, anticipate and blow up an outside run as a deep safety shedding the blocker and making the tackle, make a nice toe tap INT, flash the ability to locate and high point the ball to break it up in man coverage.

You see everything you need out of a playmaking safety plus the ability to play CB and elite CB testing numbers as a 211 pound safety.

In that ASU game it looked like he lined up man a couple times, played in some various coverages and even blitzed. As long as he doesn't flop in camp/preseason, I'd imagine we'll see plenty of him in the nickel. Hopefully turns out to be a good pick, hopefully Hageman, Mass and co. help not hang him, Tru, etc. out to dry for 12-13 secs on every passing play!

Looking at the video, he seems a bit awkward lining up on the outside or in at slot.. however, when he's at the back he has the vision of a good safety. Great positioning, great reads, can cover good ground and make some solid tackles. Sky is the limit for this kid if he is prepared to put in the hard work.

I like this pick!

Im actually excited about this guy. My only knock is that he lacks ball skills. He isnt a ballhawk. He makes plays on the ball and is a sure tackler. Thats more than we got from Decoud last year. I also love his speed which gives him range and the ability that he is showing in slot over TEs and RBs and WRs is on par with any other safety not drafted in top 20 picks