From A Coaches Perspective, Our Draft.

i will be the first to admit I am still learning, as is every coach at every level. I have been a Special Teams Coordinator for 3 years after 2 years as a position coach. I have coached RB's. OLB's, Safeties, and WR's.

As a RB's coach i had to learn the ins and out of offensive line play to help develop great awareness from the Rb position.

Jake Matthews is going to be a star, there is no question he will be a solid player for his entire career. The only problem I see in his game, is of angles and leverage. he over extends his arms and tends to stand too tall which leads to him being beat on inside pass rush moves. i think this is easily the safest and best pick for the Falcons in the first round.

Ra'Shede Hageman is going to be a star in the NFL. He is fast, strong and has a relentless effort in every play. he can set the line and diagnose a run, while also pinning his ears back and rushing the QB. the only problem I feel with this pick is a technique issue with the diagnosing of a run play. he is a solid player holding his gap, but can sometimes play high and get washed into the blocking lanes. this is a habit he has developed and maybe even a teaching fault by his d-line coach. He needs to learn to read the run faster.

Dezmen Southward is interesting in a lot of ways. if I was coaching him, the first thing he would need to work on is angles and diagnosing the play at a faster rate. i read online that he only started playing his senior year of high school which makes sense. he is thinking to much about the play instead of reading his initial keys and reacting. i have seen on the boards where posters have questioned his coverage skills. he is a typical cover 2 corner, and safety. you will not see this kid in his current state as a single high safety until he learns to diagnose the play and stop thinking. As a coach, he would play a nickel corner with a curl flat zone or a in the box strong safety. I think this kid has a very high ceiling, but it may take a year or two for him to fully develop.

Overall we have drafted based on need so far. Matthews and Hageman are solid picks that need very little coaching. Southward was a bit of a reach, but I feel by watching his tape and seeing his measurable's, he may not have lasted more than 1 more round, because other teams would have considered the potential and drafted based on their need of the position as well.

I like what the Falcons have done so far. i really hope they add more defensive depth, particularly at LB and Db. in the next round before looking at RB, WR and TE in the later rounds to add more offensive depth at the skill positions.

How do you feel right now going into the 4th? Do you disagree or agree with the assessment I gave.

By the looks of it, we could of had our choice of Dion Bailey or Craig Loston in the 4th. Leaves me scratching my head at the Dezmen pick. Every Badger fan seems to think he's awful.

That is a valid argument, especially coming from people who watched him play. I definitely do agree with posters who say we could have gotten him later, but who is to say there was not inside info a team wanted him and the Falcons just REALLY wanted him.

That is a valid argument, especially coming from people who watched him play. I definitely do agree with posters who say we could have gotten him later, but who is to say there was not inside info a team wanted him and the Falcons just REALLY wanted him.

Just imagine, WE COULD OF HAD SCOTT CRICHTON.