I Think We Should Trust Td On The Southward Pick

Jaymadd

The one position that TD has been pretty good at is picking DBs. This was his area of expertise. I am going to give him the benefit of his past picks and trust him with the Southward pick. If this was a lineman that we picked and didnt know anything about then we may have more of a reason to be pissed.

Trufant

Alford

Motta

Moore

Decoud ( he was useful as a third rounder)

Owens

Rafeal Bush

Middleton

Jackson ( had a good rookie year)

Exactly. If there's one thing TD knows, it's DB's. DB's are also Nolan's speciality. They got up close and personal with Southward at the seniorbowl, if they like him, so do I.

At least until i see him play in Red and Black, i have to trust TD and Nolan knows more than the average message boarder. Not hard to do.

Edited by Lornoth

In a good range as well

Trufant 22

Moore was 55

Alford was 60

Southward was 68

Chevis Jackson 68

Owens 90

DeCoud 98

Franks 135

Middleton 138

I forgot about Franks. I think people need to realize that we got good production from these later round dbs based on where they were picked and hiw they were expected to contribute

The one position that TD has been pretty good at is picking DBs. This was his area of expertise. I am going to give him the benefit of his past picks and trust him with the Southward pick. If this was a lineman that we picked and didnt know anything about then we may have more of a reason to be pissed.

Trufant

Alford

Motta ?

Moore

Decoud ( he was useful as a third rounder)

Owens

Rafeal Bush (good for another team?)

Middleton

Jackson ( had a good rookie year)

4 productive players out of 9 drafted, 5 if you count Bush being good for New Orleans. Or are we saying Owens is good. Jackson and Middleton can't be called pluses for TD, and Motta is tbd at best...

It may have been a tad early for him more than likely they tried to drop back a tad. IMO given how the board was setting 2 safeties were coming off in this round because teams would miss the next run and miss their guy. All these people complaining that we took him would be crying if he went 15 picks later and met his potential. He deserves a chance he has some upside and is still learning the position.

4 productive players out of 9 drafted, 5 if you count Bush being good for New Orleans. Or are we saying Owens is good. Jackson and Middleton can't be called pluses for TD, and Motta is tbd at best...

Owens is a good selection for a third rounder. He played alot of quality snaps in Cleveland last year and even netted us a compensatory pick in this draft. Jackson had a good rookie season had some key plays to help us have a playoff season after a terrible 2007 season. Middleton was a nickel back in Jacksonville starting nickel at that

I would say 6 of 9 productive plays and 5 of 9 starters last year. Those are some good percentages for any GM. If those same percentages transferred to the overall draft then we would be a great team.

5 out of 9 is EXTREMELY solid and rare when it comes to draft picks.

I hope you weren't using 5 out of 9 as a negative.

In any given draft with a default of 7 picks, it is rare to get production out of more than 2 of those 7 players.

This is the first year I can think of where we have gotten some low floor, high ceiling guys instead of team captain high floor, low ceiling guys.

Actually, these three guys all fit the TD blueprint. They are all seniors and team captains with athletic upside.

Then we can't say Decoud is horrible - he had way more positive impact than Jackson.

I didn't think he was horrible. I think he had a bad season anf probably not the best time to have your worst season on a 4-12 team. He may be a good pickup for the Panties because of their front seven. I didnt mind keeping decoud but I understand releasing him given his ceiling, production relative to his cap hit.

5 out of 9 is EXTREMELY solid and rare when it comes to draft picks.

I hope you weren't using 5 out of 9 as a negative.

In any given draft with a default of 7 picks, it is rare to get production out of more than 2 of those 7 players.

The OP claimed TD deserves trust because of his record. i'm not saying he deserves doubt, but since Chevis Jackson was a 3rd round pick that didn't pan out, it seems fair to question why we should just assume that this 3rd round pick will pan out.

i'll admit right now - if Southward produces as much as Decoud did during his time with ATL, then i'll be pleasantly surprised. But since Decoud is currently persona non grata on TATF, and the reason the Falcons have a need at FS, that's a really low bar for the #68 pick in a deep draft. That's my main problem with this pick - simply no evidence that it was necessary. But i'm no genius and could easily be proven wrong. Since i own two season tickets and sit in those seats every home game, i definitely hope i'm wrong about Southward.

This is an incorrect analogy. Yes, most certainly in any single draft, more than 2 of 7 picks being productive is solid. That's not what was being measured however. The difference is when the picks are occurring. the reason your statement is intuitively true is because some (often most) of those picks are mid to late round picks. Trufant and Alford were not mid to late picks. Decoud, Jackson, and now Southward were all 3rd round picks. Middleton was a 5th round - no reason to expect him to be lights out (although he is evidence of how TD doesn't really find gems in the late rounds).

The OP claimed TD deserves trust because of his record. i'm not saying he deserves doubt, but since Chevis Jackson was a 3rd round pick that didn't pan out, it seems fair to question why we should just assume that this 3rd round pick will pan out.

i'll admit right now - if Southward produces as much as Decoud did during his time with ATL, then i'll be pleasantly surprised. But since Decoud is currently persona non grata on TATF, and the reason the Falcons have a need at FS, that's a really low bar for the #68 pick in a deep draft. That's my main problem with this pick - simply no evidence that it was necessary. But i'm no genius and could easily be proven wrong. Since i own two season tickets and sit in those seats every home game, i definitely hope i'm wrong about Southward.

Hitting on 5 of 9 picks is a really good stat for a GM. Not every pic is going to be a starter but you hope to get production from those later picks and maybe a starter, prayerfully a pro bowler. Decoud was a pro bowler. Releasing him was more of a business decision Imo we could have kept him but we knee his upside and he had probably reached his ceiling in 2013 and given his 2014 season the cap hit no longer justifies keeping him if we thought we could get a player with a higher ceiling in this draft