Tdwii's Day 1 Observations...

1) For the Falcons, it was pretty cut and dry. With Mack off the board, there were only two other options. 1) Draft OT or 2) Trade down. My thinking while the clock was running was that 10 was the absolute lowest I'd have gone. Lewan went #11. In both mocks I did, Matthews was the pick @ 1:06. A decidedly unsexy pick. But then again, you don't necessarily marry the hottest chick. You marry the best match. Matthews might make make it to the quarter century mark (2025) in red and black.

2) Count me as someone who isn't as impressed with what the Browns did last night as most. While the trade down move was superb, I wasn't a big fan of the value they got at #8 in Justin Gilbert. While it was probably the right pick for them at that spot given their needs, I think in losing out on Mike Evans, they paid a decent price for the move down. As for Johnny Football, he's a boom-or-bust prospect in every sense of the word. From his off-the-field persona, to his size/durability, to his style of play there are a lot of moving parts here. And while the value in the 2014 draft is good, with 2 1st rounders in their pocket, that could make them HUGE players in the 2015 draft, which is quite rich in QB talent. They won't pick a QB in Round 1 two years in a row, so in a draft where they have the assets to make any type of move necessary to get a more sure-fire QB prospect, they roll the dice again at the bottom of Round 1.

3) The Jets. I like Calvin Pryor. Thought he was a good safety prospect. But the positions that the Jets have spent their first round picks on since 2010.

2010 - CB; Kyle Wilson

2011 - DT; Muhammed Wilkerson

2012 - DE; Quentin Coples

2013 - CB; Dee Milliner

2013 - DT; Sheldon Richardson

2014 - FS; Calvin Pryor

We'll see how 2014 shapes up but you can draft terrifically on one side of the ball and still be short of being successful.

4) I never quite bought the Rams going in any other direction that Greg Robinson at #2 just because they had the perfect ascension plan for him coming into the NFL. Place him at LG next to Jake Long and refine his prodigious skills to assume the LT position in 2015/2016. But the AFC West and NFC East are not going to like having to face the NFC West as part of their schedule rotation. It's possible that the NFC West could be home to the 4 best defenses in the NFL. Getting Aaron Donald at #13 to add to a pass rush that ranked 3rd in the NFL in sacks last season. Whoa!

5) Overall, I thought the rest of the NFC South conceptually secured players that will help them. However...

Saints - Brandin Cooks replacing Darren Sproles? Sproles did most of his damage catching short passes out of the backfield and generating YAC. A 6 foot Brees trying to find Cooks on slants/intermediate routes seems like it could take a little bit to come together no matter how good Brees is. And for a team looking to re-establish the run...well, moving up at the expense of their 3rd rounder...when they've experienced a drain of talent from the draft the last few seasons which draft pick forfeitures and bountygate sanctions?

Panthers - If I'm picking for the Panthers, I pick Marquise Lee. I get the physical dimensions of Benjamin are attractive. But I don't like the idea of a WR needing to lose 15 pounds coming into the league. And for a player who is described as raw, 23 1/2 is fairly old to be raw coming into the NFL. They needed a WR, I think they took the wrong one.

Bucs - Mike Evans was a solid pick here...while they could have gone Taylor Lewan to fortify a unit that is dealing with the uncertain status of Carl Nicks not to mention a little bit of a talent shortage that helped contribute to a paltry 3.8 YPC average, they had nothing behind V-Jax.

6) Tonight - I think it's fairly clear the Falcons need to grab a pass rusher. Will they do that at #37 though? With DE/OLB talent the likes of Kony Ealy, Stephon Truitt, Demarcus Lawrence, Jeremiah Attaochu, Kyle Van Noy, Trent Murphy, Scott Crichton on the board, the idea of a trade down sounds appealing. Easier said than done, but I'd watch out for a surprise pick at RB potentially tonight. The fact remians that RB talent slides down the draft board now and guys that used to go 15-20 now go 45-55. if the Falcons want to take a chance, Carlos Hyde could be a out of left field selection for a Falcon team devoid of RB talent.

TD said in an interview the had 0 calls to trade down from 6. They said they were surprised and I am 2.

Reports are we tried to trade up for D Ford. TD did admit trying to trade up in the 20's, but it didn't work our. He did not say who for, but if it was D Ford then the obvious pick would be another rusher that closely fits D Ford.

If nobody fits that profile and we don't like any of the rusher who are left then it changes. Next would be FS, RB, TE, CB.

nice analysis TDWii - glad to see you are back on your game, my friend.

I like the thought of trading down from #37 if the opportunity presents itself. I don't like the spot we are in as their are almost too many options right now - if we could drop 15 spots and secure a 3rd rounder - I think we could help ourselves......While passrusher is our #1 need, I am not married to that position if there is more talent on the board at another need position.

nice analysis TDWii - glad to see you are back on your game, my friend.

I like the thought of trading down from #37 if the opportunity presents itself. I don't like the spot we are in as their are almost too many options right now - if we could drop 15 spots and secure a 3rd rounder - I think we could help ourselves......While passrusher is our #1 need, I am not married to that position if there is more talent on the board at another need position.

I'm thinking more of packaging our 3rd & 4th (maybe a 2015 4th) as well to get up between 50-55. Give us 2 2's.

What do you guys think of maybe grabbing Jace Amaro at 37, and then using our 3 and 4 to move up for Attaochu? Or grabbing Attachao or Lawrence at 37, and maybe moving up for Tre Mason?

I don't see a starting safety left. We might as well grab an offensive playmaker.

(I know about Jace's character issues, btw)

Well the trade down for 2 in the second is very intriguing IF it can be pulled off. All I want is best talent we can get of the defensive side of the ball. Yes I would prefer a pass rusher, but just bolstering a defensive position with a good player will make me very happy.

Sorry but not a fan of any RB in the second: too many holes for that now I think. We can address that later in the draft.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

I pray the Falcons DO NOT go for any of these mediocre pass rushers! I really hope they just double dip and take Xavier Su'a-Filo, Morgan Moses or Joel Bitonio.

you do realize Falcons signed a starting RG(Asamoah), re-signed C(Hawley, who I don't like but whatever) and that Sam Baker is healthy again.

Falcons are NOT taking an offensive tackle in 2nd round - won't happen. most likely passrusher.