For All The Talk Of Jake's "pedigree" And...

Blood lines, here's a simple question:

Why is he not better? All I'm saying is if he's been "kick sliding to the fridge since he was two" then why hasn't he been in the gym since he was two?

Why wasn't he the unquestionable top tackle? I mean, since he has all of these familial "resources" to draw from, nobody told him to be the strongest he could possibly be?

I'm only playing the devil's advocate here, but it just seems to me if you've had the Todd Marinovich treatment, you'd be the absolute best at your position coming out...not a part of a "top 3."

To reference, just think if Mack, or Clowney, or Robinson all came from similar stock.

Just saying...

People fell in love with Robinson based purely on his combine numbers. The fact is, while a great run blocker, he isn't that great in pass protection. Matthews has been listed as one of the top players of this draft since the end of the last draft. He is going to be great. There is nothing average or sub par about him.

Guest King Jigsaw

One day I want to live in a world where we can draft a top ten player and people will unanimously agree that it was a great addition to our team at a position of need and we won't get so many threads questioning their abilities.

Don't question. Support.

Matthews was the top tackle for a long time before the draft, Robinson emerged as a player with higher upside, Im not sure why. Also everyone has stated that Matthews is the most NFL ready which means he already has the technique, everyone keeps saying Robinson needs to be taught and groomed. Id much rather have Matthews as he has the technique down already.

Robinson is the classic guy that had a good year, great measurables, good workout and shot up the draft boards.

Happens every year.

Matthews is the known commodity... He was the guy pegged as a top 10 pick the year before and did nothing to bring that into question... only solidify it.

And while people try to downplay the 'pedigree' aspect.... EVERY scouting report I've ever read on ANY player always mentions if they're related to an NFL player. Take Trufant last year... his mentioned his 2 older brothers

Alge Crumpler's mentioned his older brother.

Clay Matthews obviously mentioned his father and uncle.

So while people may want to dismiss this.... it is something scouts take into consideration.

Why is he not better? All I'm saying is if he's been "kick sliding to the fridge since he was two" then why hasn't he been in the gym since he was two?

Why wasn't he the unquestionable top tackle? I mean, since he has all of these familial "resources" to draw from, nobody told him to be the strongest he could possibly be?

I'm only playing the devil's advocate here, but it just seems to me if you've had the Todd Marinovich treatment, you'd be the absolute best at your position coming out...not a part of a "top 3."

To reference, just think if Mack, or Clowney, or Robinson all came from similar stock.

Just saying...

Because in this day and age people still fall completely head over heels on all the measurables and Robinson Size and Strength gave him a boost to even be with Matthews

The truth is Matthews has all the physical tools to get it done at LT/RT in the NFL and the Pedigree comes in when you sit them down in a room and give them a test on proper blocking technique/ reading Defense etc Matthews would ace the test and blow the rest of the guys away grade wise

Edited by malak07

Matthews didn't spend as much time in the gym as others because he actually studied with in school. A year or two of being able to build his body up as a full time job and he'll be much stronger.

many many players get much stronger their first couple of years.

Look at Bartu and Worilow this year- they'll both be much stronger.

People fell in love with Robinson based purely on his combine numbers. The fact is, while a great run blocker, he isn't that great in pass protection. Matthews has been listed as one of the top players of this draft since the end of the last draft. He is going to be great. There is nothing average or sub par about him.

Actually, he was rated as a top 10 pick in the 2013 draft when everyone still expected him to come out, by default became the top OT in this draft and remained there until the measurables game started. Just going by game tape alone, he's the best OT in this draft.

Greg Robinson has the potential to be Walter Jones-Larry Allen-Orlando Pace if he develops as a good pass protector or he has the potential to be another good RT like Anthony Davis (SF) or Andre Smith (Cin) if not.

Jake Matthews reminds me of 3X Pro-Bowler Jordan Gross, a quiet leader that will do his job each week

Guest King Jigsaw

Everytime I read the word 'pedigree,' I imagine someone patting him on the head and feeding him puppy chow

Triple-H-Pedigree-triple-h-1348392-580-384.jpg

Just saying...

How did that work out for Todd?wink.png

He's the son of a Hall of Fame OT, His granddad played in the NFL. he's the nephew and cousin of famous NFL LBs, and Jake Matthews doesn't have the genetics? Wow,

He also has a brother who was a center for the Titans under Jeff Fisher. I think he is a FA now.

Also, his younger brother is the starting center for Texas A&M.

There are now a total of 7 members of the Matthews family that have been in the NFL with more soon to follow.

picard-facepalm-o.gif

He is considered the best day 1 starting player in this draft. what else do you want from the kid. jeez

He can't control the fact that other players have a superior body and potential, he is THE BEST TACKLE right now in this draft. Does he have the highest ceiling? no. does he have the highest floor? yes.

One day I want to live in a world where we can draft a top ten player and people will unanimously agree that it was a great addition to our team at a position of need and we won't get so many threads questioning their abilities.

Don't question. Support.

so you want a bunch of threads full of, 'hey, great pick right!' 'no, awesome pick man!' :lol:

it's an open forum, gonna be discussions w/ different viewpoints than yours...get used to it.

as far as Matthews, people have to understand that there just isn't enough time to be the strongest man in the world and have the best technique, and finish high school, and maintain positive grades in college, and have a social life, etc etc. most times you're either a workout warrior or a technician, or a nice mixture in the middle of both...it's a big rarity to find someone who does both to the maximum in any position

Just saying...

Matthews is the pick. He's on the team. GET OVER IT!!!!!!

??? Matthews doesn't have the genetics? You do know that his father was, arguably, the greatest offensive lineman of all time? His family has had SEVEN drafted in the NFL. His cousin is an all pro. Please. Stop.

You're talking pedigree. I'm talking genetics. His genetics makeup is from two different people. He only received some of his dad's genetics. Maybe his mom has raptor arms and he got them from her or maybe it's a mutation. Robinson is more athletic as well. I don't think many would argue that. That's genetics. All I know is Robinson is a genetic freak and honestly Matthews genetics are not.

He's the son of a Hall of Fame OT, His granddad played in the NFL. he's the nephew and cousin of famous NFL LBs, and Jake Matthews doesn't have the genetics? Wow,

you're taking everything out of context in here...a suggestion, take a breath and read this stuff slowly. we're talking about why Matthews didn't become as strong/athletic as Robinson/Lewan if he was raised since birth to be a o-lineman. that's the discussion...not his technique, or his pedigree, or how good he is.

Edited by Wjcorner

People fell in love with Robinson's potential. Jake was the consensus top OT for much of the season and pre-draft. Players rise and fall, all apart of the process. I think we got a great pick

I am curious to see how he adapts to Matt being a pocket passer. I guess it should make it easier for him knowing where Matt is instead of Johnny Football freelancing