Why Kc Wants To Trade Berry And Why We Wont Take Him

with all the safeties going in the first round I started looking realistically as to why kc would want to trade berry. the obvious reason is his contract so I looked it up. this is what we would be taking on if we traded for him

year salary cap number dead money

2014 $8,417,000 $11,619,700 $5,805,400

2015 $5,155,00 $8,357,700 $2,902,700

2016 free agent

this explains why kc would be interested in trading him but who would want to take on this?

Edited by texasfalconfan

only thing you can restructure is the salary I don't think he is willing to take a pay cut. we would have to do a pretty long extension with a lot of guarantee to absorb the money already owed him now, and It would have to pay him heftily for years past his prime. based on these contract numbers I don't think hes worth a 4th rounder

rcky, are you saying that kc would eat the dead money? If so I have to rethink this whole thing

I'm certainly no expert on NFL contracts, but dead money is usually derived from bonuses that were spread over the life of the contract. Seeing as those bonuses are paid on the front end the Falcons would only be responsible for the salary. The Chiefs would be hit with the dead money.

They aren't interested in trading him. It was a hoax.

They may be interested in trading Tamba Hali, since he showed up to OTAs 20 lbs fatter.

I agree with the bolded. I honestly don't think they are gonna part ways with Hali either, they would be crazy if they did.

rcky, are you saying that kc would eat the dead money? If so I have to rethink this whole thing

Yeah, dead money doesn't transfer. That's why it's called dead money. Stays with your cap even if the player is no longer on your roster

We'd be on the hook for salary & future bonuses

I will say this. I loathed the idea of trading future compensation for Clowney. I would give up next year's first round pick for Eric Berry, and I would do so with a song in my heart. It's like the Abraham trade in that there is no debate about Berry being a superior pro.

It makes zero sense for KC to trade him, though.