I Couldn't Blame The Fo After Hearing This..

In the press conference after the first round, TD and Smitty basically said they tried to wait as long as they could for a phone call. They wanted to trade down as much as we did after Khalil Mack didn't fall. Smitty said it was "like going to the senior prom with no date". No one should be mad at the FO after hearing that. They also tried to trade back into the first round which made them late for the press conference. They simply couldn't find a partner...

In the press conference after the first round, TD and Smitty basically said they tried to wait as long as they could for a phone call. They wanted to trade down as much as we did after Khalil Mack didn't fall. Smitty said it was "like going to the senior prom with no date". No one should be mad at the FO after hearing that. They also tried to trade back into the first round which made them late for the press conference. They simply couldn't find a partner...

This^^^^^^

Can't blame the front office whatsoever a man was kind of killing me is that some people are upset that we didn't trade up but these were some of the same people saying don't trade up

Exactly. You can tell we didn't want to make this pick, because it took forever to make the pick.

Waste of a pick on a player that will be average.

No. You could tell the Falcons were extremely happy that they got Matthews, but had preferred to stockpile picks this year to create good depth.

They had Matthews rated a little lower obviously or else they would have been running to the podium.

They said before the draft that they draft for need not best player available (BPA).

So they obviously reached a little but not by much.

I think it was that both Matthews and Lewan were still on the board and they were trying to coax the Vikings to move up since they would have wound up with one of them no matter what, but since Bortles was off the board there wasn't much chance of that happening. Still, nice to have him here.

Exactly. You can tell we didn't want to make this pick, because it took forever to make the pick.

I like Jake Matthews.... Sure I was hoping Robinson or Mack would fall but at least Matthews is versatile and can contribute immediately. The FO picked the best player available and that's all we can ask for.

Welcome to Atlanta Jake!

I wish we could have traded down, but if no one wanted to I guess you can't blame them. Donald + Moses/Kouandjio + an extra 2nd rounder would have been a great haul, but it just wasn't in the cards. I don't think we will reap the benefits of drafting Matthews until Baker goes down and he has to play LT though. He's not an NFL RT.

So what they are saying is that they weren't that thrilled about taking Matthews.

Guest King Jigsaw

So what they are saying is that they weren't that thrilled about taking Matthews.

I'm sure they're very happy that they got Matthews and it's obvious we've been interested in him for a while. It's possible though that we could have traded down a couple of spots and picked up, say, another third and still got him.

And average is a SIGNIGICANT upgrade over what we had at RT last year.

If Ryan was "only" pressured 100 times instead of 200+......

You're looking at the move in isolation..... When in actuality you, at a minimum, need to look at Asamoah and Matthews as a tandem.

At worst, we have a right side of the line that doesn't need help in pass rush situations. Even if Baker goes down again and we put Holmes at LT, we'd only have one true "weakness"....... Pro coaches can scheme and adjust to that.

They had Matthews rated a little lower obviously or else they would have been running to the podium.

They said before the draft that they draft for need not best player available (BPA).

Good point. Obviously they would have been comfortable trading down a bit and picking one of a group of players. Not a ringing endorsement of Matthews but by no means a knock on him. My guess is that they would have been happy with any one of the three "remaining" tackles.

Disagree on this....I think we did great. Sure had fortune really favored us and we got Mack, homerun, but I am happy with this triple and steal home.

They weren't going to trade the #6 pick unless they were blown out of the water. They were just doing their due diligence by waiting until 3 minutes left. They're extremely happy with Jake Matthews.

The quote from Smitty was about them not being able to trade up from the 2nd round. Sounds like they were targetting Dee Ford but no one wanted to deal with them.

I would rather have had Mack but Matthews is a fantastic consolation prize. And, actually, Matthews probably helps us "next year" more than any other player in the draft.

Edited by Mekias

I guarantee you we'll see Matthews in the pro bowl before Mack.

Raiders are going to misuse Mack. I don't think he really fits their defense. Plus he's more raw than Matthews.

One of the best things about this draft is that the impact players all went to AFC teams. Don't have to worry about Clowney or Mack coming for Ryan; the teams that truly got better are no threat to us, and now we're back to being a threat to other teams...

Wait....so who was BPA @ 6 then???? And don't say Mike Evans who never cracked the top 5 in any mocks or big boards

They went BPA coupled with need which = A grade, perfect pick given the circumstances

Edited by TheeTKOBeatz