Shutdown Corner Rates 2 N F C S Picks

SaintRay

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft-day-1-winners-and-losers--sam-bradford-still-the-man-in-st--louis-054305739.html

Brandin Cooks: Cooks was the kind of receiver who it seemed could really be a star if put in the right situation.

Well, he ended up in maybe the best situation.

The speedy receiver from Oregon State was drafted by the Saints, who traded up to get him. That shows how much they coveted him for their offense. Now Cooks gets to catch passes from Drew Brees, one of the best quarterbacks ever. And you can bet that coach Sean Payton, one of the best offensive minds in the game, will find some fun ways to use him. And the Saints didn't trade up for him to not have him in a big role right away.

You want to bet against Cooks winning offensive rookie of the year? I wouldn't.

Carolina Panthers: The Panthers needed a receiver. Apparently nobody told them they need one right now.

Kelvin Benjamin is a good prospect, but he's raw. The Panthers took the Florida State receiver late in the first round. He'll be Cam Newton's top target by default. That doesn't mean he's ready for the job. While it seemed like Marqise Lee would be a good pick in that spot, and a little more polished, the Panthers took Benjamin.

He'll win some jump balls as a rookie but he Panthers need him to do everything. They don't have much else. If Benjamin takes some time to develop, Carolina's receiving group will be underwhelming. It's a mess the Panthers got themselves into by being passive about the problem all offseason. They better hope some of their speculative moves turn out to be right.

Did Cooks really state that his mindset was to go for Rookie of the Year?

Video didnt work for me.

Sounds like a T.O./ChadJohnson in the making... how ME FIRST of the guy

maybe somebody should remind him that the goal is a Super Bowl... not your prototypical "behind the scenes" Saints type receiver.

Video didnt work for me.

maybe somebody should remind him that the goal is a Super Bowl... not your prototypical "behind the scenes" Saints type receiver.

He seems like exactly the opposite of those.

http://grantland.com/features/brandin-cooks-nfl-draft-oregon-state-wide-receiver/

Brent Brennan was only a couple of months into the job as Oregon State’s wide receivers coach when he got his first text message from Brandin Cooks: What do I have to do to come in and start? “It was one of those cliché answers,” Cooks says. “‘Work hard, learn the playbook.’ But I really wanted to know!”

Cooks spent most weekends during his final high school semester shuttling back and forth to Corvallis. He’d sleep on Rodgers’s couch, in part to save money, but also because Rodgers had the playbook. Cooks attended morning meetings, to the bemusement of older players who couldn’t understand why someone who didn’t have to be there would be. The week of Oregon State’s spring game, which happened to fall during spring break, Cooks was constantly tangled up in Brennan’s feet.

“He wanted to know how we call our formations, how we call plays, what part of the play spoke specifically to him,” Brennan says. “He’s like, ‘Well, when you say this, what part of the play is that?’ He was just hanging out watching practice. But he was just really, really focused.”

A coach’s days during fall camp are long. By the time Brennan got to the one-on-one segments of practice, it was well past midnight. The mind plays tricks that late. Somehow, Brennan thought he saw Cooks pitted against Jordan Poyer and Rashaad Reynolds, the team’s two best cornerbacks, whenever his turn came. It didn’t make sense. The next day, he saw why. “He was letting people cut in front of him, so that he can go against the best guy on our team,” Brennan says. “Normally, true freshmen don’t choose the toughest matchup on the field. He chose it every time. When I realized it, I was like, ‘You’ve got to be kidding.’”

I like the Cooks pick.......but I like the Evans pick even more.wink.png

Evans will cause some real mismatches, while Cooks is gonna give Brees a speedy target he doesn't have right now. Benjamin, just seems a bit raw to be Cam's main target. I still think Lee would've been a better fit for Carolina.

Video didnt work for me.

I don't know. Sounds like something the writer there in there at the end; unless Cooks said it somewhere else that I missed.

wink.png Remember when Cam was a very raw project at the qb position, in the draft? Most sites considered it a big mistake that the Panthers took him in the first.

Cue 3 years later. Two probowls, more yards and TDs than almost any qb in NFL history in the first 3.

Not so much me comparing KB to Cam, because I'm not. My way of saying. "F*** the media when it comes to judging a prospect/rookie".

wink.png Remember when Cam was a very raw project at the qb position, in the draft? Most sites considered it a big mistake that the Panthers took him in the first.

Cue 3 years later. Two probowls, more yards and TDs than almost any qb in NFL history in the first 3.

Not so much me comparing KB to Cam, because I'm not. My way of saying. "F*** the media when it comes to judging a prospect/rookie".

I agree.

Give me the most imposing athletic player at a position and let Ricky Prohel (1 of the most technically sound WR during his playing days) coach him up. I'm good.

I think Lee is the slighty better receiver but KB is the better fit for Cam's strengths and weaknesses.

Better fit for the team philosophy. Not only is he a big red zone threat. He also a great blocker for a run 1st team like we are. He will crack back on D linemen and LB'S with ferocity that will have them checking their ear hole.

Better fit for the team philosophy. Not only is he a big red zone threat. He also a great blocker for a run 1st team like we are. He will crack back on D linemen and LB'S with ferocity that will have them checking their ear hole.

Agreed. I think Gettleman and Riverboat may love his blocking even more than his red zone ability.

So, a player can't have personal goals they set for themselves?

I don't know. Sounds like something the writer there in there at the end; unless Cooks said it somewhere else that I missed.

It was a question that asked if he really said it cause I pointed out that I couldnt get the video to play.

And I am all on board with a player having personal goals, but I hope the Saints can convince him to promoting team goals as personal goals in year one dont sound like they align with the Saints modus operandi.

It was a question that asked if he really said it cause I pointed out that I couldnt get the video to play.

And I am all on board with a player having personal goals, but I hope the Saints can convince him to promoting team goals as personal goals in year one dont sound like they align with the Saints modus operandi.

They can be both, meaning his personal goals will hopefully translate into the team being able to do the things they want to do.