Realistically, Is Matthews A Future Pro Bowler?

ket222

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, I agree. That's what I've been trying to say. And I love the pick.

Instead of guys like Clowney who just "want to be the best" and "will try as hard as they can to make the probowl", I want guys who "want their team to be the best" and "help them win the superbowl".

No need to run Clowney down to like the JM pick ...had it in any way been feasible to get Clown rest assured we would have ...if any you think he was not the absolute #1 on our board you are fools ...but we can be very happy to have JM standing in front of Ryan for the next 10 years ...

No need to run Clowney down to like the JM pick ...had it in any way been feasible to get Clown rest assured we would have ...if any you think he was not the absolute #1 on our board you are fools ...but we can be very happy to have JM standing in front of Ryan for the next 10 years ...

I've never been a fan of Clowney. He is a goof. Nobody who "loves" a sport throws a tantrum when they have to play it for free for one more year. He's gifted, but his attitude will be his downfall.

Is Matthews likely to be a pro bowler?

How does he compare to recent top ten OTs? who has watched lots of tape on this guy? I don't care that he has a good pedigree!

how much will he improve our line next year? how good is the other FA lineman that we got, forget name; and how much have they improved the right side of the line? significantly?

what if he does a better job than baker? can he become our left OT? where would baker go?

As of today, our best offensive lineman is Jake Matthews. Not saying much given this OL, but he's far & away the best we've got now. Most likely a future multi-time pro bowl player. He'll probably start this year at RT since we have nobody else to play there, but if Baker is injured again or once his contract makes him releaseable, Matthews will be our LT for a decade.

Is Matthews likely to be a pro bowler?

How does he compare to recent top ten OTs? who has watched lots of tape on this guy? I don't care that he has a good pedigree!

how much will he improve our line next year? how good is the other FA lineman that we got, forget name; and how much have they improved the right side of the line? significantly?

what if he does a better job than baker? can he become our left OT? where would baker go?

He compares to past guys

And while I do think he is a future pro bowler I wouldn't be shocked if he struggled in his rookie season tackle is right up there with QB as the hardest position to transition to as guys are faster,stronger,bigger and more athletic at the NFL level compared to college.

They said the one game he struggled in was against Missouri and they have like 3 guys that will be NFL caliber starters.

So I'm going to be very patient as its a tough position to transition to.

As of today, our best offensive lineman is Jake Matthews. Not saying much given this OL, but he's far & away the best we've got now. Most likely a future multi-time pro bowl player. He'll probably start this year at RT since we have nobody else to play there, but if Baker is injured again or once his contract makes him releaseable, Matthews will be our LT for a decade.

Your insane man

Let's see the kid play before we say he's our best OLmen

He11 from a "talent" stand point Holmes is bigger longer and has better feet he's just raw

You don't know how good anyone is going to be until they actually play

Id say a guy like Blalock who has been a very good guard for the better part of 7 seasons and has started over 100 games

You must be one of those in the moment type of people

Your insane man

He11 from a "talent" stand point Holmes is bigger longer and has better feet he's just raw

Id say a guy like Blalock who has been a very good guard for the better part of 7 seasons and has started over 100 games

You must mean measurables. Matthews is extremely talented.

No.

He's not going to overpower anybody, and played with a qb capable of eluding sacks on his own accord.

Matt is as stationary as it comes. Matthews better get tough.

So the fact that he had to maintain, hold and adapt his blocks twice as long matters not ? ..go ask Fran Tarkentons O lineman how very EZ it was to block for him ...Shame on U ...

No body is doubting his talent that's for sure

I'm just saying if I'm going to say this guy is our best OLmen right now I'm going with the guy that had started every game his first 6 seasons and 110 games over 7 seasons

Not saying Matthews was a bad pick either he was the perfect pick really even over a guy like Clowney but seeing how horrible Eric Fisher was last year (nearly as bad as Holmes) I wait and see and hope we get at worst a solid starter with a big upside.

Your insane man

no, just been watching Matthews for the past 3 years. From a talent level, he's just better. Experience, maybe not so much. He's a day 1 starter at RT, would be day 1 starter at LT, but can't afford to bench Baker while paying him that much. Blalock has struggled himself the last 2 seasons, but he's been our best and most consistent o-lineman and is still serviceable. Now granted, I wasn't considering Asamoah in that, so I could have been overstating slightly. Have not watched him enough to say.

And if you really think Holmes has more talent that Matthews, well, this conversation was over before it even started. Holmes isn't even close.

Now if your comparing him to Holmes as a talent he's well ahead my point was Holmes is a very talented young tackle and in that talent doesn't make you good and while Matthews is about as sure as you can get let's see him play first before we crown him a HOFer or pro bowler.

As far as Holmes I'm not shocked he struggled he was a project to start with and there's top 10 tackles that struggled last year. For example Eric Fisher the 1st over pick gave up more pressures and the same amount of sacks and he played in a run heavy offense he was ranked 70th out of 76 player Holmes was 75th and he played on a team that didn't try to help him either running it or with TEs or Backs he literally was left outside all by his self because the rest of the line was horrible.

Its actually night and day compared to last year in that Holmes should be an OK backup as well as peter Konz we were signing UDFAs and guys that were cut to start bringing up guys off the practice squad it should never get to that point this season.

Again my point was talent doesn't make you good Matthews has to earn that and giving his work ethic he should but I'm not going to say he's out best OLmen as a rookie not having played any games or that he's going to be great let's let him play first

no, just been watching Matthews for the past 3 years. From a talent level, he's just better. Experience, maybe not so much. He's a day 1 starter at RT, would be day 1 starter at LT, but can't afford to bench Baker while paying him that much. Blalock has struggled himself the last 2 seasons, but he's been our best and most consistent o-lineman and is still serviceable. Now granted, I wasn't considering Asamoah in that, so I could have been overstating slightly. Have not watched him enough to say.

And if you really think Holmes has more talent that Matthews, well, this conversation was over before it even started. Holmes isn't even close.

I get what your saying at least on paper he should be our best OLmen maybe even our best offensive player not named Julio or Ryan

But he hasn't played a snap and Blalock while not a pro bowl caliber player has been what we need at all the other psotions guy has started dam near every game the last 7 seasons that doesn't happen if he's not good. I'd say Blalock struggled because of who he played with he's above average at the guard position but isn't dominate more so just good.

Matthews has the talent to be great but let's let him earn that because say he's just good like Blalock which would really be fine then its going to feel like he's a bust when that really wouldn't be the case so let's let him earn that great player image

I get what your saying at least on paper he should be our best OLmen maybe even our best offensive player not named Julio or Ryan

But he hasn't played a snap and Blalock while not a pro bowl caliber player has been what we need at all the other psotions guy has started dam near every game the last 7 seasons that doesn't happen if he's not good. I'd say Blalock struggled because of who he played with he's above average at the guard position but isn't dominate more so just good.

Matthews has the talent to be great but let's let him earn that because say he's just good like Blalock which would really be fine then its going to feel like he's a bust when that really wouldn't be the case so let's let him earn that great player image

I agree with that. I'm basing it more on potential with Matthews. He hasn't proven anything at this level yet.

I agree with that. I'm basing it more on potential with Matthews. He hasn't proven anything at this level yet.

That's my point he's far more talented than Holmes there was no discussion there more so he hasn't done anything yet and if we crown him now as a great player and he struggles (like most young tackles do) it'll feel like he's a bust when that really may not be the case.

Just like if Holmes is working as hard as he said he was going to he could grab that LT or RT spot he has 35 inch arms very quick feet and has the size and did showed flashes before he tired.

I think if Holmes develops and we plug Matthew in at either LT or RT (probably RT even if Baker is left out) our OL could become one of the better ones and younger ones as well.

Archived