Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

Realistically, Is Matthews A Future Pro Bowler?

56 posts in this topic

Is Matthews likely to be a pro bowler?

How does he compare to recent top ten OTs? who has watched lots of tape on this guy? I don't care that he has a good pedigree!

how much will he improve our line next year? how good is the other FA lineman that we got, forget name; and how much have they improved the right side of the line? significantly?

what if he does a better job than baker? can he become our left OT? where would baker go?

He is a fantastic player pretty much bread to play OT. He is the best OT from day 1, has a lower ceiling than Robinson, but certainly the highest floor out of any prospect likely in the entire draft.

rugger8 likes this

I don't buy that low ceiling bs. Nobody knows what potential these guys may have until we see them in the big leagues

What do you mean "realistically" ? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The guy is an elite prospect and projected to make multiple Pro-bowls. Come on man....

Let's just hope he becomes Pro Bowl caliber and go from there. I just want to see Matt with 2 more seconds to find his weapons.

Absolutely he could be a multi-year pro bowler if he works hard.

One of the nice things about a kid like Matthews is that it isn't a question whether or not he will work hard. He has too much pressure from his family. He has to work hard or he would let down a tradition of Hall of Fame Tackles.
The Legendary SB likes this

i watched just a few A&M games but he looked good in the ones I saw. Not sure if he'll need to adapt his game much to Ryan as a pocket passer vs. Manziel as a scrambling QB. I agree about the so-called "pedigree" somehow being a reason to draft him high, it's a joke. Just because his dad achieved greatness, doesn't mean very much for him.

His ceiling is to have a career like his dad and that ceiling is about as high as you can get. Hall of Famer with 14 pro bowls.

Yes, but Robinson has a ceiling to be the best OT ever.

Crazy, but true.

Having said that, if he cannot figure out pass pro., he could be a massive bust.

i watched just a few A&M games but he looked good in the ones I saw. Not sure if he'll need to adapt his game much to Ryan as a pocket passer vs. Manziel as a scrambling QB. I agree about the so-called "pedigree" somehow being a reason to draft him high, it's a joke. Just because his dad achieved greatness, doesn't mean very much for him.

He will be even better with a pocket passer. Often times he blocked in a way anticipating his QB to climb the pocket, and of course Johnny did not do that.

He graded out as a future Pro Bowler (72) He is regarded as better than the first two picks in last years draft. He was both the bpa and filled at least our 2nd biggest need. @6

The biggest no-brainier in the history of no-brainers

Tell that to the idiots who keep saying busted draft

I liked Robinson too but Matthews is definitely the safer pick and best for our offense which is more pass than run.

Of course, I agree. That's what I've been trying to say. And I love the pick.

Instead of guys like Clowney who just "want to be the best" and "will try as hard as they can to make the probowl", I want guys who "want their team to be the best" and "help them win the superbowl".

Yes, but Robinson has a ceiling to be the best OT ever.

Crazy, but true.

Having said that, if he cannot figure out pass pro., he could be a massive bust.

Best OT ever? Take it easy kid.....

He was the best LT in college football last season. As impressive as Robinson is, he currently is a poor to mediocre pass protector. He holds a lot.

Best OT ever? Take it easy kid.....

I followed that statement with "could be a massive bust".

Thanks tho bud

I've watched plenty of film on him. As a matter of fact, as fate would have it, I watched more film on him than any other player in this draft.

We have THE perfect coach for his weaknesses. He has an excellent kick and can get wide in his base, he blocked for a mobile quarterback, but if you start a timer on his snaps in your own mind for Matt Ryan as the quarterback, I doubt he gives up a pressure, much less a sack. He seemingly gives ground on a rush, which seems like a weakness when you evaluate him until you realize he is ALWAYS in control. I cannot understate that. His footwork moves so rapidly and he let's a rusher into his body so often it looks like a weakness, until you watch it over...And over...And over...And over and he consistently gives ground while standing his guy up exactly when and where he needs to.

I hope so the faster we can get him to left side the better imo. I say I think he definitely has pro bowl potential

Yeah , it obviously didnt work with Trufant.

And you forgot the rest of his family.

I followed that statement with "could be a massive bust".

Thanks tho bud

still, thats an insult to every hall of fame tackler who has ever played. robinson is extremely raw and has never been asked to pass block like he will as a OT. i think he profiles as a guard

still, thats an insult to every hall of fame tackler who has ever played. robinson is extremely raw and has never been asked to pass block like he will as a OT. i think he profiles as a guard

No it's absolutely not. Do they really think they will be the best forever? Robinson is raw, but he has immense potential. He is the Clowney of the OL.