Smith, Dimitroff React To Pick Of Matthews

Sponge

Smith, Dimitroff React to Pick of Matthews

http://draft.atlantafalcons.com/smith-dimitroff-react-to-pick-of-matthews/

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff:

“We talked throughout this process about improving our team with tough, rugged football players and Jake Matthews epitomizes exactly what we were looking for. He is a solid finisher and has good pass protection skills. He is the type of player that we are always looking for here in Atlanta – guys who are willing to work and those who come in and embrace the team concept.”

Falcons head coach Mike Smith:

“As a coach, you always want to work with guys who love football and Jake Matthews loves football. As we were doing our due diligence, we had a number of people tells us about Jake’s work ethic, his study habits, and his passion for the game. He played in 52 games at Texas A&M with 46 starts and was a captain as a senior. He fits the bill for the kind of player we want on our team.”

This pick puts us back to where we were in the 2012 season (13-3) w/ basically the same defense; We gotta go Defense w/ the rest of the draft

If I'm honest with you I don't really see alot left in our positions of need.

For me I would love to know how serious that Berry trade rumour was or if it was straight up BS.

For me right now its BPA add the most talented player's regardless of position.

If I'm honest with you I don't really see alot left in our positions of need.

For me I would love to know how serious that Berry trade rumour was or if it was straight up BS.

For me right now its BPA add the most talented player's regardless of position.

Exactly. If it ends up that we get a big receiver, a DT, and a TE...that will help the team a lot, and those may be BPA. Give Soliai a break and replace Gonzales's production. It's a thin safety draft, and a debateable edge rusher draft. It's very deep at WR.

I'd rather get a 1st round talent in the 2nd, and a 2nd round talent in the 3rd, than reach for mediocre players.

Yeah he should of talked crap about the guy he just picked in the first round!!! Stupid fluff!!!

/ridiculous sarcasm

Sorry I just don't see them being that thrilled with the pick. If they were trying to sell me on Matthews I would have said yeah but will he help us enough to make everyone glad we took him at 6.

Sorry I just don't see them being that thrilled with the pick. If they were trying to sell me on Matthews I would have said yeah but will he help us enough to make everyone glad we took him at 6.

Considering TD said Matthews could be the first pick in the draft, I think he's pretty thrilled.

TD just said they waited til the end, but nobody called him about moving up to our 6th pick. He said he was very surprised. Sounds like he wanted to move back.

He also said he tried hard to move back into the first round, but couldn't. He mentioned it was for a position we obviously need. I think he wanted Dee Ford or a safety obviously.

So you honestly think if the Falcons would have had the first pick they would have taken Matthews? I am not buying that.

Neither em I they met with Clowney like 3-4 times had he been there he would have been the pick

And that's not saying Matthews was a bad one Tackles with Matthews talent come around every year DE/OLBs with Clowney talent comes around every 10-15 years

Maybe Greg Robinson would have been in play but I feel compared to Clowney he was to raw to pick him over Clowney at 1

Wow! Smitty added to what TD said about moving back up into the first. He said something about it felt like you couldn't get a date for the prom. It seemed very clear they were both upset they couldn't move up and missed out on their player. He said TD was making lots of phone calls.