Are You Happy With Matthews?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think theres a lot of ambiguity when the whole draft process starts from everyone going off word of mouth, then everyone takes time to watch tape, see workouts, prodays, combine, so on and so forth, then they get more imput from teams and a final ranking is established. Its not an exact science, reason why Barr could very well be the best pass rusher in this draft when its all said and done, I like the kind and pulling for him as I have some vikings fans friends from college. For us I think OT was the correct choice. We need to give Ryan time to throw the ball, we need to open up some holes for this atrocious run game and we will hopefully do both with Asamoah and Matthews. Now day 2 we can draft some defense, maybe a RB, who knows. we have 9 picks left.

Yeah I understand, and as long as you knew what I was trying to get at its all good, seems like we both just have firm opinions and are sticking with them. As far as the 2nd round I think right now there is 9 or 10 pass rushers(DE/OLB) in the top 100 ranked, but there is only ONE safety in the top 100, and it is Terrence Brooks. I'm sure there will be at least 1 or 2 top 100 pass rushers left in the 3rd. Comes down to 2 options, we either take a good safety in the 2nd and a good rusher in the 3rd, or take a bad safety in the 3rd and take a really good rusher in the 2nd. Edited by BigJay404

Yeah I understand, and as long as you knew what I was trying to get at its all good, seems like we both just have firm opinions and are sticking with them. As far as the 2nd round I think right now there is 9 or 10 pass rushers(DE/OLB) in the top 100 ranked, but there is only ONE safety in the top 100, and it is Terrence Brooks. I'm sure there will be at least 1 or 2 top 100 pass rushers left in the 3rd. Comes down to 2 options, we either take a good safety in the 2nd and a good rusher in the 3rd, or take a bad safety in the 3rd and take a really good rusher in the 2nd.

I like Joyner if we must go DB at 37, otherwise we should hold off and maybe get a developmental guy with some upside like Huff in the 3rd or 4th if Brooks is gone. A guy like Jonathan Dowling also intrigues me in the 5th, but I'm sure a lot of fans would be scared to wait that long for a safety. I just say, Look at the seahawks.

Now here's my train of thought; Why take a safety at all when there are better players to be had? Nix in the second and a pass rusher in the third? I know that's unreasonable since we do need a safety very bad, but I'm not at all sold on any of the safeties left. Teams already started reaching for them in the first, that's not a good sign.

Because like you said we really need a safety just as bad as pass rusher, and Brooks is the last good safety available, and in the 3rd there will still be good pass rushers available. We can't just draft a bad safety and rely on him to start, or not draft one at all and leave everything up to a trade for someone like Eric Berry. We need someone from the draft who is a day 1 starter if we want to be super bowl contenders.

Yeah I understand, and as long as you knew what I was trying to get at its all good, seems like we both just have firm opinions and are sticking with them. As far as the 2nd round I think right now there is 9 or 10 pass rushers(DE/OLB) in the top 100 ranked, but there is only ONE safety in the top 100, and it is Terrence Brooks. I'm sure there will be at least 1 or 2 top 100 pass rushers left in the 3rd. Comes down to 2 options, we either take a good safety in the 2nd and a good rusher in the 3rd, or take a bad safety in the 3rd and take a really good rusher in the 2nd.

id rather take a first round talent rusher than reach on a safety. Dont get me wrong we have needs but reaching on players leaves us in situations like holmes. Not saying holmes wont work out but hes been a big let down overall as of yet.

I like Joyner if we must go DB at 37, otherwise we should hold off and maybe get a developmental guy with some upside like Huff in the 3rd or 4th if Brooks is gone. A guy like Jonathan Dowling also intrigues me in the 5th, but I'm sure a lot of fans would be scared to wait that long for a safety. I just say, Look at the seahawks.

But I don't see the point in getting Joyner. Also we can't just draft a bad safety and rely on him to start, or not draft one at all and leave everything up to a trade for someone like Eric Berry. We need someone from the draft who is a day 1 starter if we want to be super bowl contenders. I think Brooks is our last option at safety for a day 1 starter.

id rather take a first round talent rusher than reach on a safety. Dont get me wrong we have needs but reaching on players leaves us in situations like holmes. Not saying holmes wont work out but hes been a big let down overall as of yet.

Yeah like I just said to Romfal, we can't just draft a bad safety and rely on him to start, or not draft one at all and leave everything up to a trade for someone like Eric Berry. We need someone from the draft who is a day 1 starter if we want to be super bowl contenders.

Yeah like I just said to Romfal, we can't just draft a bad safety and rely on him to start, or not draft one at all and leave everything up to a trade for someone like Eric Berry. We need someone from the draft who is a day 1 starter if we want to be super bowl contenders.

I don't think we need a starter at safety day 1 to be honest with you, we have Dwight Lowery who has some starting experience, hes just been injured, If we can get a guy that we can work in with high potential, he could become a solid starter for us. I think we have a bigger hole at RB, again thats just my personal opinion and I understand if other fans feel a bigger need at safety for sure after the whole Decant debacle.

I don't think we need a starter at safety day 1 to be honest with you, we have Dwight Lowery who has some starting experience, hes just been injured, If we can get a guy that we can work in with high potential, he could become a solid starter for us. I think we have a bigger hole at RB, again thats just my personal opinion and I understand if other fans feel a bigger need at safety for sure after the whole Decant debacle.

Yeah everyone has their own opinion, and I didn't even think about Lowery, never got to see him play much. I think we'll be alright at RB this year with Jackson and Rodgers for another year. If we can wait one season to worry about RB that would be awesome, because Todd Gurley is probably coming out next year, not saying it's likely but we could possibly trade up to get him.

Because we could of got an OT with 1st round talent in the 2nd round

Maybe, but we wouldn't have gotten better talent than Matthews or Lewan. I added Lewan because at 37 he would be gone. The question is, past Clowney, are any of the pass rushers a cut above the rest?

I would say not. I don't think as much separate Ford, Attaochu, and Ealy. I thought we needed to come away with one of the top tackles and one of those three, and I don't see how we won't after the first round. We can make a short hop in the second and get our guy. Then with the picks we have make a hop back into the second and get a safety or running back.

Maybe, but we wouldn't have gotten better talent than Matthews or Lewan. I added Lewan because at 37 he would be gone. The question is, past Clowney, are any of the pass rushers a cut above the rest?

I would say not. I don't think as much separate Ford, Attaochu, and Ealy. I thought we needed to come away with one of the top tackles and one of those three, and I don't see how we won't after the first round. We can make a short hop in the second and get our guy. Then with the picks we have make a hop back into the second and get a safety or running back.

I know a 2nd round OT wouldn't be as good as Matthews lol. I just think if we got Mack/Barr 1st and got an OT 2nd, it would have been better than getting Matthews/Lewan and getting a rusher in the 2nd. We could have got Kouandjio or Moses 2nd compared to someone like Ealy or Attachou 2nd. 2nd round OT options are way better than our OLB/DE options 2nd

Matthews is a plug n' play tackle and we needed help on the o-line, so yes .... I'm happy!.

If Baker get's hurt again, then Matthews could take the left side.

With Mack off the board, this was the logical pick. We got our left tackle for the future and didn't trade away picks.

Now let's take a passrusher with our second (or trade it to KC for Eric Berry).

Great pick!!! If you can't block...you run into multiple 3 and outs...if you have multiple 3 and outs...your defense is on the field to much...if your defense is on the field too much they get tired...if they get tired, they give up a lot of points. I don't think that Clowney or Mack has that type of stamina.

Yes under the circumstances. Mack and Clowney weren't there. We have a chance to have the greatest draft in FO history if we get Hagerman who can go outside or inside and will be another Shelton Richardson then trade up with our 3rd and get Attachou. Man you add J C Copeland and we have something!

I love the barr pick. We shoulde traded down for him imo. But I'm ok w/ matthews. I'd just hate to see smitty and td being scared to go w/ their gut instinct. We wouldve been fine w/ holmes imo. Hopefully this means baker can go E-honda himself into the the event horizon of a fiery blackhole from he11 after this season.

YES EVERY HAPPY