Are You Happy With Matthews?

It's funny that you think you know what you are talking about.

if you remember it come bump this in 3 years. There will not be any argument.

But what makes your argument valid?

My point is there are much better 2nd round OT than 2nd round OLB... Understand?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is there are much better 2nd round OT than 2nd round OLB... Understand?

I understand that that is your opinion, and I respect that. In my opinion none of the second round OTs come even close to Matthews. Matthews floor is probably their ceiling. I quite like the pass rushers in the second round. Heck, even a few in the third. I don't see any OTs worth having there, none at all.

Edited by Nightfly

so what you are saying is you would have drafted Barr at 6? Because it would have cost us that #2 pick to move up so no OT to go up for Mack.

I understand that that is your opinion, and I respect that. In my opinion none of the second round OTs come even close to Matthews. Matthews floor is probably their ceiling. I quite like the pass rushers in the second round. Heck, even a few in the third. I don't see any OTs worth having there, none at all.

@Romfal I would have tried to work something out with Oakland that wouldn't have killed us to get Mack, but even if we couldn't trade up in the 1st and stayed at 6, I would have chose Barr over Matthews, Barr was rated better than Mack until the last few weeks when the media blew Mack up. So if I had it my way, we would have Mack or Barr and either Morgan Moses or Cyrus Kouandjio. Because like I said, the OT in the 2nd round are better than the OLB in the 2nd round.

@Nightfly Morgan Moses or Cyrus Kouandjio come close to Matthews, not equal, but close. They are closer in skill than any of the OLB in the 2nd would come to Mack/Barr skill.

Tackles went like hotcakes and we have arguably the best one in the draft when it comes to brains and brawn. His study habits and nfl readiness are the best of any LT prospect period. Grob is a mauler and has big upside. But I know Matthews will still keep getting better. And just look what happened. Tackles flew off the board and even Juan James was gone in the first as well as Zack Martin. We kicked azz. We still have plenty of rush LB/DE's to snare tomorrow. Great night and we STILL have our picks thank God.

Edited by HASHBROWN3

@Romfal I would have tried to work something out with Oakland that wouldn't have killed us to get Mack, but even if we couldn't trade up in the 1st and stayed at 6, I would have chose Barr over Matthews, Barr was rated better than Mack until the last few weeks when the media blew Mack up. So if I had it my way, we would have Mack or Barr and either Morgan Moses or Cyrus Kouandjio. Because like I said, the OT in the 2nd round are better than the OLB in the 2nd round.

@Nightfly Morgan Moses or Cyrus Kouandjio come close to Matthews, not equal, but close. They are closer in skill than any of the OLB in the 2nd would come to Mack/Barr skill.

you know, its really hard to take anything you say serious considering your avatar, might be time for an update

Yeah, I am not the right person to discuss draft talent in depth. I don't get enough coverage here (Netherlands) to really look at all of those guys in depth. I did my homework on Matthews because I thought we would pick him, and on most of the top pass rushers. I would be much happier with Matthews and Kony Ealy/Jeremiah Attaochu compared to say, Barr and Morgan Moses. Did I want us to pick Mack? You bet! But that simply wasn't a possibility. Picking Matthews was a no brainer. I don't think we'd be able to fill our need at OT with one of the guys you mentioned from day one, and I do think we can plug one of the top pass rushers left in straight away.

EDIT: Louis Nix sounds like a nice addition as well. I wouldn't mind that pick up at all!

Edited by Nightfly

Yeah, I am not the right person to discuss draft talent in depth. I don't get enough coverage here (Netherlands) to really look at all of those guys in depth. I did my homework on Matthews because I thought we would pick him, and on most of the top pass rushers. I would be much happier with Matthews and Kony Ealy/Jeremiah Attaochu compared to say, Barr and Morgan Moses. Did I want us to pick Mack? You bet! But that simply wasn't a possibility. Picking Matthews was a no brainer. I don't think we'd be able to fill our need at OT with one of the guys you mentioned from day one, and I do think we can plug one of the top pass rushers left in straight away.EDIT: Louis Nix sounds like a nice addition as well. I wouldn't mind that pick up at all!

Oh ok good, and yeah well I guess we all have our opinions. I just think Barr/Mack plus Moses or Kouandjio would be better all around compared to Matthews/Robinson/Lewan and Ealy/Attaochu. But now we really have to worry about the lack of safetys left, we really need to figure that out, maybe get Terrence Brooks and wait til the 3rd for an OLB/DE

Leave vick out of this man lol... but do you understand where im coming from in my last comment?

I think those tackles you listed are not on the same level as Matthews, we should be happy right now that we drafted the best tackle on this team in the last 10 years. I would definitely not put Barr over Matthews and as much as you might hate it, I think we might have taken him with Mack on the board.

Guest Dtan: God Of Objectivity

Leave vick out of this man lol... but do you understand where im coming from in my last comment?

I'm a big fan of your ava.

Best QB in franchise history.

I am not happy with the Matthew pick. I think content would be a better word. He is a good player. I think the Falcons could have traded down and gotten someone of similar value and grabbed additional picks.

At least they didn't grab a WR as some of the "fans" on this message board wanted; That would have been a disaster.

I would have preferred Mack. We have bonafide stars on offense. No bonafide stars on defense. Mack would have given us that.

However, I'm pretty excited out this pick. Matt Ryans right side should be fine after this off season. It Jake can be even half of the player his dad was(14 pro bowls, played every posiion on the line) then we are in for a treat.

I think those tackles you listed are not on the same level as Matthews, we should be happy right now that we drafted the best tackle on this team in the last 10 years. I would definitely not put Barr over Matthews and as much as you might hate it, I think we might have taken him with Mack on the board.

But you gotta admit a month or two ago Barr was expected to go top 5 at most top 10, and Mack was the second best. But in the last month or so the media took off with Mack, and hyped him way up. I think Barr will be just as good as Mack

Oh ok good, and yeah well I guess we all have our opinions. I just think Barr/Mack plus Moses or Kouandjio would be better all around compared to Matthews/Robinson/Lewan and Ealy/Attaochu. But now we really have to worry about the lack of safetys left, we really need to figure that out, maybe get Terrence Brooks and wait til the 3rd for an OLB/DE

I just can't get upset that we didn't get the player I really wanted (Mack). And Matthews is going to be a stud for us for the next decade, so I'm happy! That's one thing I'm up in the air about. In my opinion, the pass rushers left are better than the safeties that are left. But, I do realize that we need a safety BAD. But do we pick the best available safety who may not be as good as the best pass rusher? So, I guess it's need vs BPA but pass rusher is also quite a big need.Nix I am simply intrigued by. I think he can be one of the best in the league in a few years and he has great size.

But you gotta admit a month or two ago Barr was expected to go top 5 at most top 10, and Mack was the second best. But in the last month or so the media took off with Mack, and hyped him way up. I think Barr will be just as good as Mack

Matthews has been ranked the most solid OT in this draft since day 1. Robinson may have the higher upside, but we get the best day 1 starter in this draft. yes, better than Clowney.

I just can't get upset that we didn't get the player I really wanted (Mack). And Matthews is going to be a stud for us for the next decade, so I'm happy! That's one thing I'm up in the air about. In my opinion, the pass rushers left are better than the safeties that are left. But, I do realize that we need a safety BAD. But do we pick the best available safety who may not be as good as the best pass rusher? So, I guess it's need vs BPA but pass rusher is also quite a big need.Nix I am simply intrigued by. I think he can be one of the best in the league in a few years and he has great size.

Right now there is 9 or 10 pass rushers(DE/OLB) in the top 100 ranked, but there is only ONE safety in the top 100, and it is Terrence Brooks. I'm sure there will be at least 1 or 2 top 100 pass rushers left in the 3rd. So we either take a good safety in the 2nd and a good rusher in the 3rd, or take a bad safety in the 3rd and take a really good rusher in the 2nd.

Matthews has been ranked the most solid OT in this draft since day 1. Robinson may have the higher upside, but we get the best day 1 starter in this draft. yes, better than Clowney.

Oh I wasn't talking about the tackles. Even though what you said was right about the best day 1 starter, but Robinson could have played RT for 2 years until he developed at pass blocking, plus we are stuck with Baker for at least the next 2 years so i guess that could have worked out. But in my last comment I was just saying that overall Mack and Barr are about the same, Mack was just way over hyped the past few weeks. Originally Barr was ahead of Mack in rankings...

Right now there is 9 or 10 pass rushers(DE/OLB) in the top 100 ranked, but there is only ONE safety in the top 100, and it is Terrence Brooks. I'm sure there will be at least 1 or 2 top 100 pass rushers left in the 3rd. So we either take a good safety in the 2nd and a good rusher in the 3rd, or take a bad safety in the 3rd and take a really good rusher in the 2nd.

Now here's my train of thought; Why take a safety at all when there are better players to be had? Nix in the second and a pass rusher in the third? I know that's unreasonable since we do need a safety very bad, but I'm not at all sold on any of the safeties left. Teams already started reaching for them in the first, that's not a good sign.

Oh I wasn't talking about the tackles. Even though what you said was right about the best day 1 starter, but Robinson could have played RT for 2 years until he developed at pass blocking, plus we are stuck with Baker for at least the next 2 years so i guess that could have worked out. But in my last comment I was just saying that overall Mack and Barr are about the same, Mack was just way over hyped the past few weeks. Originally Barr was ahead of Mack in rankings...

I think theres a lot of ambiguity when the whole draft process starts from everyone going off word of mouth, then everyone takes time to watch tape, see workouts, prodays, combine, so on and so forth, then they get more imput from teams and a final ranking is established. Its not an exact science, reason why Barr could very well be the best pass rusher in this draft when its all said and done, I like the kind and pulling for him as I have some vikings fans friends from college. For us I think OT was the correct choice. We need to give Ryan time to throw the ball, we need to open up some holes for this atrocious run game and we will hopefully do both with Asamoah and Matthews. Now day 2 we can draft some defense, maybe a RB, who knows. we have 9 picks left.