Report: Texans Dropping Price For First Pick

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/report-texans-dropping-price-for-first-pick/

There were a couple of different reports on Wednesday about what the Texans were seeking in a trade for the top overall pick.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported that the team wanted two first-round picks and a second-round selection to move down. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reported that the Texans wanted to swap 2014 first-rounders while adding first-round picks in 2014 and 2015 and a second-round pick this year. No one has bitten and now McClain reports that the price tag has dropped.

Per McClain, the Texans still want to swap first-round picks this year and add a 2015 pick in the top round to go with a 2014 second-round pick. In place of a third pick in the opening round, though, McClain says that the Texans are now looking for a 2014 third-rounder. There’s no word on how far down in the first round the Texans would be willing to drop in such a move.

That’s still a big price for a team that wants to guarantee themselves the chance to pick any player in the draft, but the price could keep dropping from here if the Texans have their hearts set on moving the pick before their time is up on Thursday night.

Guest fibonacci

" ok ok guys, I know the asking price for my car is 3500$, so let me lower it 3450$.... now that sounds worth it".

Guest fibonacci

Trader Tom shouldn't even be talking to the Tex till they are on the clock.

he shouldn't be talking to them period. they know we want to trade(regardless if I like it or not). but let them call us.

don't people know how relationships work?

" ok ok guys, I know the asking price for my car is 3500$, so let me lower it 3450$.... now that sounds worth it".

It's like gas.

It was $2.00 a gallon then they raise it to $4. Everyone freaks out so they 'lower' it to $3.

The thing that always pissed me off was how the media would say it's still lower than its high of $4.

Guest fibonacci

It's like gas.

It was $2.00 a gallon then they raise it to $4. Everyone freaks out so they 'lower' it to $3.

The thing that always pissed me off was how the media would say it's still lower than its high of $4.

LOL that's to funny, I almost said gas. but then it was to much to write to get my point across. LOL +1

To go to #1, it will cost the 2015 first, guaranteed.

Offer this years 1&3 and next years 1. take it or leave it.

It is like giving them #6, #68 and #25 (est)next year, which is plenty

I would love to be able to get Clowney for this year 1 and 3 and next years 2 and 3. (maybe if he makes it to #2 or 3)

Look we have ALL the leverage sitting at 6

1) We don't need to trade back or trade up to get our guy.

2) Teams wanting to trade up love trading up to six because they won't have to give up as much for the other team to "get their guy"

3) Teams that want to trade back to 6 (Texas) still can get their guy.

4) Texas is in a rebuilding mode WE are simply in a reloading mode and expect to never see the top ten again.

5) We have 10 picks in this years draft so WHY would we trade back for more

Stay put, hold your ground and let Texas crack under pressure, they need more picks WHILE not dropping too far back more than we need to do anything.

So now they've come down to around the actual value of the #1 pick. That might work if there were a clear #1 player but there isn't. Most teams aren't even looking at trading up for Clowney.

The Texans need to accept their situation before it's too late. It's clear they want a QB but don't want to take him #1. My guess is that they'll end up trading the pick for a 1st rounder in 2015 and a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year. That's about the limit. Otherwise, teams will just deal with St Louis or Jacksonville.

If the Falcons truly have their heart set on Clowney which I'm not even sure they really are as they could end up with Mack or any of the OTs and be very happy. I say if feel they absolutely have pull a deal with Texans.

This will be the deal

Swap 2014 1st round pick

2014 3rd round pick

2015 1st round & either (4,5) round pick next year

Edited by malak07

I think they main part if any trade involving the Texans 1st pick starts with this years 1 and next year's 1 the rest of the picks are just fillers as if its maybe a 3rd,5th and 7th or just another 2nd

The interesting thing is were the only team that makes sense to trade with seeing they only fall to 6 so I think if the Texans really intend to take a QB they better make a deal with us

But I also believe that if I were the Texans say Manizel is there guy(who really knows at this point) I would take Clowney and see if Manziel falls to 6 or if Brotles is there.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 2m

Teams that have inquired about trading UP include DET, NYJ, CLEV (from 26), SF, HOU (from round 2 into 1), ATL (from round 2 into 1).

Falcons inquiry on trading back up into Round 1 makes me think 2 things (attempting to read the tea leaves)

1. Just doing their due diligence in case someone they covet highly is still available late in first which is just smart business

and

2. It would indicate they still plan on having their 2nd round pick to trade which leads credence to them being unwilling to trade up in 1st at all if it involves that 2nd round pick.

Edited by malak07

Hopefully Pioli continues to stay in TD's ear. Hold tight, hold your position. Offer them a swap of firsts this year and next year's second. That's it. If you don't want the deal, then by all means, pick your guy at #1. We are going to get a top notch player in a position of need at #6 so it's all good. He may not be the first on our board but he will be the 2nd or 3rd choice we want. Otherwise, Texans, move back five spots, and pick up a second next year. We are good either way.