Lamar Holmes Vs Last Years Rookies

Lamar Holmes gave up 53 pressures 10 sacks and 13 QB hits and ranked 75th out of 76 tackles

Eric Fisher last year's top pick gave up 52 pressures 7 sacks and 7 QB hits he ranked 70th out of 76 tackles

Lane Johnson last years 4th overall pick gave up 57 pressures 10 sacks and 8 QB hits and ranked 39th out of 76 tackles

Some others

(1st rounder )DJ Fluked gave up 6 sacks and 42 pressures along with 8 QB hits

(1st rounder)Justin Pugh gave up 5 sacks 4 QB hits and 42 pressures

(5th rounder) Jordan Mills gave up only 3 sacks but 13 QB hits and 62 pressures ands was the worst rated tackle

(4th rounder)David Bakhtiari gave up 8 sacks 4 QB hits 39 pressures

So while Holmes was terrible last it should be no shock that he was because most young OLmen are.

For Holmes its on him now he needs to show big improvement he found out where his weak points are (consistency,strength and stamina) now its time to improve.

I just find it funny that people bash Holmes yet don't realize the draft top pick from last year struggled big time nearly as bad as holmes did.

Plus don't forget Johnson and Fisher played on run heavy teams Holmes would have been better had we run the ball more like those teams.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamar Holmes gave up 53 pressures 10 sacks and 13 QB hits and ranked 75th out of 76 tackles

Eric Fisher last year's top pick gave up 52 pressures 7 sacks and 7 QB hits he ranked 70th out of 76 tackles

Lane Johnson last years 4th overall pick gave up 57 pressures 10 sacks and 8 QB hits and ranked 39th out of 76 tackles

Some others

(5th rounder) Jordan Mills gave up only 3 sacks but 13 QB hits and 62 pressures ands was the worst rated tackle

So while Holmes was terrible last it should be no shock that he was because most young OLmen are.

For Holmes its on him now he needs to show big improvement he found out where his weak points are (consistency,strength and stamina) now its time to improve.

I just find it funny that people bash Holmes yet don't realize the draft top pick from last year struggled big time nearly as bad as holmes did.

Plus don't forget Johnson and Fisher played on run heavy teams Holmes would have been better had we run the ball more like those teams.

Nice that you are omiting the part about the run game. These high 1st round tackles may still have some learning to do in the pass game but they are at least reliable in moving the pile in the run game. You just ignored 50% of an OT job to make your point. Congratulations.

Guest Gritz

You're leaving out a couple of issues that can't be seen or measured by stats:

1.) Holmes came to camp fat and out-of-shape. One of the reasons he got beaten so badly, so easily, so often was because he was a tub of goo.

2.) Holmes said after being drafted that he didn't "want the job to be given to him. He was going to "take it."

3.) Where was Holmes during the Vaccaro incident? granted, all of the O-line fell down on that one. But where's the toughness that his words indicate are a part of his makeup?

And before anyone accuses me of being a "hater" or any other label that likes to get thrown around here I'm a Southern Miss fan...actually watched Holmes play for the Golden Eagles and was excited when we drafted him.

Huge disappointment last year. He can turn it around if he gets serious about his conditioning, the weight room and takes instruction from Tice.

But I'm not going to put the film on of his performance last year and act like it was anything other than what it was:

Awful.

Some others

Excellent post! I have been harping on this as well but everyone says he's horrible and won't get better but Top 10 guys from last season were just as horrible but they have more "upside" according to the resident experts here.

Duane Brown was so bad his rookie year that the texans was calling for his head..

11 sacks, 14 QB hits

Everybody said he was to finesse... Dude is a probowl LT now

No doubt Holmes has to get better.. Def has to get stronger... Matt said the O-Line including Holmes has been in there all offseason busting his butt ...... No way should we give up on him ....

Not saying OT shouldnt be a option but i still dont give up on Holmes

You're leaving out a couple of issues that can't be seen or measured by stats:

1.) Holmes came to camp fat and out-of-shape. One of the reasons he got beaten so badly, so easily, so often was because he was a tub of goo.

2.) Holmes said after being drafted that he didn't "want the job to be given to him. He was going to "take it."

3.) Where was Holmes during the Vaccaro incident? granted, all of the O-line fell down on that one. But where's the toughness that his words indicate are a part of his makeup?

And before anyone accuses me of being a "hater" or any other label that likes to get thrown around here I'm a Southern Miss fan...actually watched Holmes play for the Golden Eagles and was excited when we drafted him.

Huge disappointment last year. He can turn it around if he gets serious about his conditioning, the weight room and takes instruction from Tice.

But I'm not going to put the film on of his performance last year and act like it was anything other than what it was:

Awful.

Holmes is the only O-Lineman that came up and said something to Vaccaro... He should have did more tho

Yeah his 'conditioning' excuse was a HUGE red flag to me.

It speaks about his work ethic. No one else on the oline seemed to have a conditioning issue. We brought guys in off the street that had better conditioning and they didn't have OTAs and training camp.

Everyone's killing Clowney and his supposed bad conditioning/work ethic but it's cool with Holmes?

You're leaving out a couple of issues that can't be seeairlmeasured by stats:

Awful.

Well I don't think it was his strength or his effort

More so consistency with his technique And stamina plus I think it was to much for him to adjust to as well last year they should have pulled him much earlier in favor of someone else but they really didn't have anybody else

I really wouldn't be shocked if he became a solid starter this year that's how it usually plays out with young tackles

Holmes is the only O-Lineman that came up and said something to Vaccaro... He should have did more tho

Can you blame him?

Smith has been the main guy behind that in that he doesn't want his team to get flagged so Holmes was likely doing what he was coached to do.

should also mention that the top 3 tackles this year are all considered better that the guys last year and any one of them would have went #1 overall to the chiefs.

I wouldn't say that maybe better than fisher but Johnson and Joeckel were both pretty good prospects

What about kahil he was OK his rookie year but he also would likely struggle in a pass heavy offense.

Can you blame him?

Smith has been the main guy behind that in that he doesn't want his team to get flagged so Holmes was likely doing what he was coached to do.

No im not dogging Holmes... A poster said Holmes was no where to be seen when that went down....

No im not dogging Holmes... A poster said Holmes was no where to be seen when that went down....

I really don't blame any of the other guys (OK maybe Blalock and baker they have been around long enough to know that's when a flag maybe would have been OK) because of Smith it what he's built in that you don't beat your self getting flags or making mistakes

The thing that bothered me the most about Holmes was how out of shape he appeared to be. If he really was motivated to be a decent NFL player he would have at least put in the effort to be in shape at the beginning of the season. He got a bit better as the year progressed, but he still sucked.

The thing that bothered me the most about Holmes was how out of shape he appeared to be. If he really was motivated to be a decent NFL player he would have at least put in the effort to be in shape at the beginning of the season. He got a bit better as the year progressed, but he still sucked.

I was going to say kind of the same thing. Holmes didn't always look bad, I just never saw much upside. Adequate is his ceiling I'm afraid :( Which would be an upgrade :)

Some others

Bro, I get 75th out of 76 isn't better than 70th out of 76, but I'll take 39th out of 76. Math.

Some guys get it late. Last season was Holmes "welcoming" to the nfl. Now he knows what it means to be a pro and so far this year he's doing what he's supposed to. But to be honest I knew the team was not gonna be as good last season

A because of the cuts

B because the offseason and non mandatory workouts wasn't there like it was in 2012.

So far seems like the team is back to business.

Edited by TheFatboi

I really don't blame any of the other guys (OK maybe Blalock and baker they have been around long enough to know that's when a flag maybe would have been OK) because of Smith it what he's built in that you don't beat your self getting flags or making mistakes

I think you guys are over reacting on that .. Dahl and Clabo would have bust somebodies head in..... Plain and simple .. they didnt step up ... I dont get why ppl dont think smitty have common sense... Its a difference between a stupid penalty and you taking up for your guys... players themselves should know this.

Blame Smitty all yall want ... Taylor Lewan would have gotten on Vaccaro... Dahl and Clabo would have to... You dont let sum lil dude do that to your QB... This is a as a man thing ... Thats your Job to protect this dude until the end of the game.

Bro, I get 75th out of 76 isn't better than 70th out of 76, but I'll take 39th out of 76. Math.

No doubt but he still gave up 10 sacks and a lot of pressures

What your failing to realize is he played next to the best guard in football in Evan Mathis and his offense was a run heavy offense Holmes wouldn't have been rated that low playing next to Mathis in a run heavy offense