Are Falcons Really Ok With Giving The 2015 #1 Pick?

SaintRay

I keep seeing forum posters saying if the Falcons can move up for Clowney or Mack, giving up next years #1 pick would be OK.

Do you guys really believe thats a good move? Are you that close to the team being strong enough to make the run to a SB with Clowney or Mack?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fibonacci

I think it's stupid. To many needs on this team. it's not like we are 10 yards away from the superbowl.

But if we did trade up, then I'll keep my trust in TD that he knows what he is doing.

-if after this season we miss playoffs (regardless of injuries), I'll be calling for his head.

Citing "word on the street," ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that the Texans are asking the Falcons for a Robert Griffin III-like trade haul to get from No. 6 overall to No. 1.

In 2012, the Redskins sent the Rams three first-round picks and a second-round pick to jump from No. 6 to No. 2 overall, where they drafted RG3 behind Andrew Luck. The move made more sense with Washington pursuing a quarterback. Clowney has a chance to be great, but even if he has a Hall of Fame career, would not offer the impact of a franchise quarterback. Per Werder, the "dialogue" between the Texans and Falcons is "legitimate, and continues as we speak."

I would hope so.

There is NO way to justify that type of trade.

I would hope the Falcons brain trust would patiently let the draft come to them.

I already posted about my conversation regarding Touchdown Johnny and Jacksonville and it's looking very likely that Watkins goes to Cleveland.

There will be a top talent at 6 at a position of need.

This team isn't a pass rusher away from contending.

I would hope the Falcons brain trust would patiently let the draft come to them.

I already posted about my conversation regarding Touchdown Johnny and Jacksonville and it's looking very likely that Watkins goes to Cleveland.

There will be a top talent at 6 at a position of need.

This team isn't a pass rusher away from contending.

I agree.

I think an top talented OLINEman makes ATL tougher next year than a pass rusher would anyway.

I think it's stupid. To many needs on this team. it's not like we are 10 yards away from the superbowl.

But if we did trade up, then I'll keep my trust in TD that he knows what he is doing.

-if after this season we miss playoffs (regardless of injuries), I'll be calling for his head.

Depending on what you give to move up, I'd really be holding his feet to the fire. If he were to give up the #7 pick PLUS next years #1 pick, he'd damned well better have this team in the playoffs THIS season, or say Buh-Bye T.D.

Guest fibonacci

Depending on what you give to move up, I'd really be holding his feet to the fire. If he were to give up the #7 pick PLUS next years #1 pick, he'd damned well better have this team in the playoffs THIS season, or say Buh-Bye T.D.

agreed.

As much flak as Ryan gets on RC, if he has a clean pocket to step into, he's deadly accurate.

Robinson or Matthews combined with Asamoha would be a massive upgrade on the right side of our line.

True, we should really be talking about Robinson. Our run game was worst in the league... worst! As a comparison our run defense and pass defense were awful but not worst in the league.

As much flak as Ryan gets on RC, if he has a clean pocket to step into, he's deadly accurate.

Robinson or Matthews combined with Asamoha would be a massive upgrade on the right side of our line.

If TD can just resist the move to make a splash, there's a possibility all 3 of the top rated tackles will be there at 6. If he resists that temptation you all could easily end up with a solid anchor for your line for the nest 10-15 seasons.

I just don't think he can resist.

Forgotten point on the Redskins deal is that they made it well before the draft, before a market price could be set, thinking they were avoiding a bidding war.

I think the Redskins overpaid at that point, but Washington thought they did the right thing.

Very good point. But if they want to move up to #1 for Clowney it's still gonna cost a couple of #1's and possibly a 2 and a 3.

I think that people somehow believe we're automatically gonna be a mid 20's or later 1st round pick next year even though it's not automatically guaranteed.

Me? I'd prefer to hang tight and pick up the best OT available at 6, or move back and grab Calvin Pryor and an extra 2nd round pick.

Ray you're ok with giving up tomorrow's salary cap, I'm Ok with giving up tomorrow's picks. Well the first rounder at atleast.

Not exactly the same thing, because I don't see the Saints giving up the future salary cap like some do.

But giving up premium draft choices (Rds 1,2,3) can be a costly proposition longterm. I've got no issue with a serious contender doing it if the feeling is that player is the difference between a SB appearance or not.

(Won't surprise me if the Saints move up in this draft)

Not exactly the same thing, because I don't see the Saints giving up the future salary cap like some do.

But giving up premium draft choices (Rds 1,2,3) can be a costly proposition longterm. I've got no issue with a serious contender doing it if the feeling is that player is the difference between a SB appearance or not.

(Won't surprise me if the Saints move up in this draft)

Just curious then, how many positions need upgraded for the Falcons. We need a fs, tackle and pass rusher for sure.

The core of our team that went 13 n 3 is still here. If we're not a contender, then who's holding us back?