Texans, Rams Really Want To Trade Down.....

g-dawg

Texans, Rams really want to trade down

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT

lmad-curtain.gif?w=375

The Texans and the Rams hold the first two picks in the draft. And there’s a growing sense that both teams really want to trade down.

The thinking in some league circles is that the Texans would like to trade down and take linebacker Khalil Mack. The thinking is that the Rams would like to trade back and select tackle Jake Matthews.

With the draft less than two days away, the question of whether either or both teams can trade down remains murky. Look for both teams to keep trying to make a move up until they have to make their picks.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideal situation:

• Houston Texans cannot get a deal and take Khalil Mack
  • Rams decide that making a smaller deal is better than being stuck at #2. Falcons give Rams a "take-it-or-leave-it" offer of #1-006(1,600pts), #3-68(250pts), #5-147(33pts) and 2015 2nd rounder. The offer is a lowball offer from Falcons - to get to trade-chart, the 2015 pick should be a 1st rounder - but we don't offer it. Rams look and say to themselves, "We can garner these extra picks and grab Jake Matthews or sit still at #2 and take Greg Robinson.....I would bet they would rather have the picks and Matthews. This assumes no one else wants #2 pick.

If that deal were to go down, Falcons would have:

• #1-002)(f/ Rams) Jadeveon Clowney, DE-S. Carolina
  • #1-006) (Traded to Rams)
  • #2-037)
  • #3-068) (Traded to Rams)
  • #4-103)
  • #4-139)
  • #5-147) (Traded to Rams)
  • #6-182)
  • #7-220)
  • #7-253)
  • #7-255)

This draft would still be mostly intact and we have our 2015 1st. Not saying Rams would do it - but they would at least think about it. If the deal went down like that, I would probably trade out of #2-037 - drop back to the end of 2nd round and pick up a 3rd rounder to boot - at that point, you basically have Clowney and your entire draft mostly intact.

Dimitroff (to Rams GM on phone): "Hey, Les.....I realize you might just want to stick at #1-002 or maybe get another offer that is more to your liking. We would like to move into your position but we like our spot at #1-006 as well. I am going to make you an offer, you might not like the offer but I'm just going to make it anyway - if you don't get a better offer from another team - then you can consider this offer before making your pick at #1-002. Here is the offer: #1-006, #3-068, #5-147, 2015 2nd rounder. Just let me know - thanks and good luck Les!"

People keep saying how much it would cost the Falcons to move up. It won't cost that much because we have a a Franchise QB already and Houston and STL knows this. It's not like Houston or STL is looking for a thousand picks. Houston was a SB contender before the start of last season. All they really need is a QB because they already have a good defense. We can offer them a 3rd and next years 1st and let them chose to take it or not. They could then draft a QB at 6 and use pick 33 on another impact player like a safety/RT. Instead of picking a defensive player at 1 and having to use pick 33 and one or two other picks in the draft to move up in the draft to stay in front of the other teams trying to jump them in the 2nd round of the draft for a QB. With teams like Cincinnati and KC possibly looking for QBs they might find themselves not getting the QB they really want.

As far as STL goes, if they wanted a ton of picks they have the option of moving back with the Falcons or any other team in the top ten and drafting a good player while collecting picks and then do the same thing with pick 13. STL can chose to stock pile picks or just improve their team with instant impact players

Edited by A different point of view

Talk about greedy. The Texans want Mack but also want to trade out of the #1 spot. Mack is rated as the #1 or #2 prospect yet they feel they should get extra picks and then draft him? That doesn't even come close to making sense. Obviously they want more than anyone will be willing to trade.

Falcons War Room dilemma;

There's a bigger drop off between the Top 2-4 elite OTs (Really only Robinson and Matthews have elite grades) and the DE/OLBs not named Clowney.

The cost to move up for Clowney is likely prohibitive and with virtually the same grades on Mack, Robinson, Matthews and Watkins, they must depend on either 2 QBs or 1 and Watkins going ahead of 6 in order to get one of the 4 out of 5 top prospects they want.

So, you say, to guarantee we get one of the 4, we must move at least 2 spots.

The dilemma is; move a couple spots to guarantee 1 out of 4, really 1 out of 3 if Clowney goes at 1 or sit and hope one falls with a plan to 'settle' for Lewan, Barr or Donald?

I'd try to trade out of 6 if those were my options. Given my options, I'm trying to see if I can move up with St Louis, Jax or Cle to bring home Robinson, Mack or Matthews.

Talk about greedy. The Texans want Mack but also want to trade out of the #1 spot. Mack is rated as the #1 or #2 prospect yet they feel they should get extra picks and then draft him? That doesn't even come close to making sense. Obviously they want more than anyone will be willing to trade.

Thought the same thing, lol.

I don't understand how a team is so desperately wanting to trade out of #1 overall pick, but at the same time wanting to extract a ransom from another team. Those two thoughts are incompatible.

If the Rams and Texans want to trade out of their picks, they can do so - they just have to be willing to take less than what they want.

If they want Mack they should just take him. I don't see how they can trade out of the 1st pick and still get him without trading back up. STL, Jac, nor Cle is moving up to number 1

I think we will trade up to number two and draft Clowney or Mack and not give up a kings ransom to do so. My guess, we will trade picks with the Rams and give a 3rd this year and maybe a 2nd next.

No matter what, we need to keep our 2 this year. #37 will get a 1st round talent after the run on 2nd tier QBs and WRs.

I have resigned myself that Dimitroff will burn more picks on a trade up to try to save his job. I can only hope we have a new GM after next season, one that doesn't get tunnel vision on a specific prospect on an annual basis.

that's the spirit!