If The Jets Came Calling

And offered their 2nd, 4th, and next year's 2nd, would you take it? It would put us in the range if picking a CJ Moseley or Morgan Moses depending on if you wanted to go offense or defense and would likely net two more picks this year and a high pick next year.

Is 18 too far to move back?

And offered their 2nd, 4th, and next year's 2nd, would you take it? It would put us in the range if picking a CJ Moseley or Morgan Moses depending on if you wanted to go offense or defense and would likely net two more picks this year and a high pick next year.

At this stage I would'nt do it if we still have the chance to walk away with 1 of the big 4 that is my focus right now Clowney or Mack.

No

Guest King Jigsaw

I'm assuming they're offering 1, 2, 4, and another 2 next year. I'd actually probably take that but only if Clowney and Mack are both gone.

No, and here's why. After averaging >10 wins over the last six years, the FO has to believe 2013 was an anomaly. If so, they understand that this draft is also an anomaly - the Falcons have a top 6 pick. Better to use it to get a top-6 talent than trade back for more picks. In all likelihood, the team doesn't have room on the roster for all the picks it is already starting with.

Guest facelessman07

While safety MAY be a position of need, generating pass rush is wayyyy more of a need

Guest King Jigsaw

No, and here's why. After averaging >10 wins over the last six years, the FO has to believe 2013 was an anomaly. If so, they understand that this draft is also an anomaly - the Falcons have a top 6 pick. Better to use it to get a top-6 talent than trade back for more picks. In all likelihood, the team doesn't have room on the roster for all the picks it is already starting with.

I understand this line of thinking and I agree that a lot of it makes sense, however we were getting 10 wins by the skin of our teeth with a lot of problems that got swept under the rug. Last year those problems came out to play and it was very apparent. Of course you can't be totally insured for a loss to a guy like Julio, but a loss of Biermann shouldn't break your defense.

For as good of a team as we perennially are, we actually do have a lot of needs.

-Starting FS

-Starting FB

-Starting RT

-Improvement at DE

-Improvement at rush linebacker

-Depth in the linebacking unit (both inside and out, if Worrilow got hurt we'd be screwed)

-Another WR that could play in the outside couldn't hurt

-A well-rounded TE to provide insurance behind Lolo and Pascoe would be great

-A RB to share snaps with Quizz is something we've explored

I love this team's potential but we have not shown the depth and player development skills to go far year in and year out. I think the additions of Tice and Cox will help in that department but adding more top talent could not possibly hurt and drafting at 18 is still better than our annual average, while adding a first next year.

I understand this line of thinking and I agree that a lot of it makes sense, however we were getting 10 wins by the skin of our teeth with a lot of problems that got swept under the rug. Last year those problems came out to play and it was very apparent. Of course you can't be totally insured for a loss to a guy like Julio, but a loss of Biermann shouldn't break your defense.

For as good of a team as we perennially are, we actually do have a lot of needs.

-Starting FS

-Starting FB

-Starting RT

-Improvement at DE

-Improvement at rush linebacker

-Depth in the linebacking unit (both inside and out, if Worrilow got hurt we'd be screwed)

-Another WR that could play in the outside couldn't hurt

-A well-rounded TE to provide insurance behind Lolo and Pascoe would be great

-A RB to share snaps with Quizz is something we've explored

I love this team's potential but we have not shown the depth and player development skills to go far year in and year out. I think the additions of Tice and Cox will help in that department but adding more top talent could not possibly hurt and drafting at 18 is still better than our annual average, while adding a first next year.

You make a good point about depth. imo, #6, #37, #68, and #103 should net the Falcons 2-3 quality starters and/or 1-2 young quality backups. iow, 4 players for the 2-deep + the FA signings + a return to the lineup of multiple key players who missed 8+ games last season will be a HUGE upgrade in terms of quality depth.

I would do it. We could draft Pryor or Ha Ha filling that need, then draft a pass rusher and tackle in the second.

But for the distance they are moving up I would like to get a 1st this year and next. That's the only issue I have with the deal.

But unlike most here I don't think clowney or mack improves our defense remarkably. Clowney doesn't show the ability to stand and rush the passer, which we require out of our ends, and Mack hasn't proven he can rush the passer from the end position. Both are likely to give us 5 sacks at most in our defense. Which is why I favor Attaochu. If the new end is going to be a project then I'd rather draft them in the second round.

We could also pick up van noy who would also be good.

A jets first next year could net us a top 10-15 pick next year as well. So there are a lot of positives to that deal, if it's a first next year.

Isn't the other problem with the "trade down, acquire more picks" scenario that it requires TD being a lot better at evaluating late round talent? Sure, Bartu and Worrilow as UDFAs were great last season, but TD's record also includes Dominique Franks, Bradie Ewing, Kerry Meier, Lawrence Sidbury, and Garrett Reynolds, to name a few players drafted after the 3rd round. Finding gems in the later rounds has not been a strength of this FO, so loading up on extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks may just mean more William Middletons...

Guest King Jigsaw

18. Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

37. Jimmie Ward, FS, Northern Illinois

49. Jeremiah Attaochu, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech

68. Jarvin Landry, WR, LSU

103. Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia

104. Justin Ellis, NT or Shayne Skov, ILB (both positions could be had later on, so take your pick)

139. Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia

Boom. Still got a 5th, 6th, and three 7ths this year on top of adding an extra first next year (Gurley anyone?) This can lead to players like J.C. Copeland, Zack Kerr (if you don't take Ellis), Andrew Jackson (ILB from Western Kentucky, dude's an old-school thumper), Aaron Colvin, I mean really whatever you want. With so many needs already taken care of you can resort to a BPA approach later on and really improve the team.

And that's just if we kept all the picks we got from the Jets. Think of the trade flexibility we'd gain to move around in the second and third like this. Crazy. We'd add so much talent for our coaches to work with.

Edited by King Jigsaw

Isn't the other problem with the "trade down, acquire more picks" scenario that it requires TD being a lot better at evaluating late round talent? Sure, Bartu and Worrilow as UDFAs were great last season, but TD's record also includes Dominique Franks, Bradie Ewing, Kerry Meier, Lawrence Sidbury, and Garrett Reynolds, to name a few players drafted after the 3rd round. Finding gems in the later rounds has not been a strength of this FO, so loading up on extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks may just mean more William Middletons...

Exactly. I can see if we hit on picks like Seattle but that's not the case.

Guest King Jigsaw

18. Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

37. Jimmie Ward, FS, Northern Illinois

49. Jeremiah Attaochu, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech

68. Jarvin Landry, WR, LSU

103. Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia

104. Justin Ellis, NT or Shayne Skov, ILB (both positions could be had later on, so take your pick)

139. Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia

Boom. Still got a 5th, 6th, and three 7ths this year on top of adding an extra first next year (Gurley anyone?) This can lead to players like J.C. Copeland, Zack Kerr (if you don't take Ellis), Andrew Jackson (ILB from Western Kentucky, dude's an old-school thumper), Aaron Colvin, I mean really whatever you want. With so many needs already taken care of you can resort to a BPA approach later on and really improve the team.

And that's just if we kept all the picks we got from the Jets. Think of the trade flexibility we'd gain to move around in the second and third like this. Crazy. We'd add so much talent for our coaches to work with.

No one? :(