Late Round Cornerbacks

I have three late-round cornerbacks for you guys that I think you might like. I don't think we are going to go with a cornerback in the first four rounds, so I'm looking slightly later than that. They're not unknowns, but they are very intriguing prospects, who will probably go in the later rounds for various reasons. I'll give their strengths and weaknesses according to draft sites and then give my opinion, and hopefully you guys will have some stuff to say, too, whether you think I'm right or wrong.

Here is my first.

Name: Aaron Colvin

College: Oklahoma

Height: 5'11

Weight: 177 lbs

Predicted Round: 6-7

STRENGTHS: Good height and length for the position, using his long arms well. Physical with a tough-minded approach in run support and coverage. Active vs. the run and enjoys throwing his body around. Disciplined run defender, using his long limbs to wrap. Feisty once engaged and plays aggressive near the line of scrimmage. Fast blitzer. Good awareness to undercut routes with timing to drive on throws and break up the catch point. Proper technique and works hard to gain position with a strong competitive nature to blanket his man. Above average ballskills. Heady, confident player with a high football IQ. Above average work ethic and passion for the game of football, playing with an underdog mentality. Good experience (36 career starts) with 28 career passes defended and position versatility, starting at cornerback and strong safety and playing both zone and man. Also a consistent performer on special teams coverage.

WEAKNESSES: Very lean body type with a narrow torso and uninspiring muscle definition. Looks like he hasn't gained any weight since his senior year in high school. Very average long speed, struggling to recover and stick with receivers vertically if they gain a step. Needs to improve his backpedal and transition, playing with some tightness in his hips and footwork. Needs to stay balanced in his movements, allowing himself to get too upright and uncoordinated through the process. Experienced in press coverage, but needs to do a better job re-routing at the line of scrimmage. Overaggressive style and bites too easily on play fakes. Too willing to make contact downfield and plays too hands-on in coverage, attracting holding or pass interference penalties with his grabby hands. Strong durability concerns with a history of shoulder and concussion issues and then tore his ACL (right knee) in Jan. 2014 at Senior Bowl practice.-- Dane Brugler

OVERVIEW: A three star defensive back recruit, Colvin chose Oklahoma out of high school over Missouri and Oklahoma State. After spending most of his true freshman season as a reserve corner, he moved to strong safety where he started 12 games and recorded a career-high 84 tackles. Colvin moved back to cornerback as a junior and started 23 games his final two seasons for the Sooners, earning All-Big 12 honors both years. He is long and physical, but his lack of strength shows on the field and he has a similar build now as he did when he arrived in Norman - maxed out or just allergic to the weight room? Colvin lacks elite long-speed, but he plays fast with conviction and doesn't shy from taking chances. He has very good awareness and confidence to quickly read and react, using his body well, but too often he extends, grabs and plays too hands-on down the field. It's very easy to appreciate Colvin's aggressive nature in run support and when the ball is in the air, but he needs to stay disciplined in coverage and his durability concerns are a red flag - was a borderline top-100 prospect when healthy so the ACL injury only complicates his future.

My thoughts: I am a big fan of Colvin. He thinks that he'd be a first round pick if he hadn't got injured. I'm not sure that I'd necessarily say that, but I certainly wouldn't have been surprised if he went in the first two rounds. He knows how to play the position. That's one of my biggest takes from watching him. He's not a wide receiver who is trying to learn the position; he's a natural cornerback. I'm not too sure when he's going to be healthy, but he could sit on IR and then replace McClain or Wilson next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrne2ME__Y

Name: Ricardo Allen

College: Purdue

Height: 5'9

Weight: 187 lbs

Predicted Round: 5

STRENGTHS: Allen has quick, coordinated footwork to drive fast and furious on plays with enough make-up speed to compensate for his aggressive play style. He is battled tested and plays with supreme confidence, often attempting to get into the opponent's head with his gift for gab. Loves to throw his body around. Allen always believes a ball in the air belongs to him and displays reliable ballskills with a knack for making something happen after the interception, averaging 29.3 yards per INT return.

WEAKNESSES: Allen has limited strength and can be easily out-muscled by receivers. He will bite on pumps and fakes and needs to improve his overall discipline and body positioning so he doesn't get turned around, especially on post and corner routes.--Dane Brugler

OVERVIEW: Although he doesn't look like much with his pint-sized frame, Allen plays bigger than he looks with a feisty attitude that allows him to match up with superior-sized WRs. He found the field early in his Purdue career and enters his senior season with 36 starts, 19 passes defended and seven INTs, four of which he has returned for TDs (school record).

Allen doesn't have elite size, strength or speed, but his fearless attitude will earn him a shot, ideally suited as a nickel corner.

My thoughts: If this guy was two inches taller then I think he'd be going at least two rounds earlier. I'm going to make the Richard Sherman comparison, and people will probably abuse me for it, but you can't teach that kind of attitude. He thinks he's the best player on the field and he lets people know it. There's such swagger. He's a physical guy who loves making plays. If the ball gets near him then he is going to fight for it harder than anybody else. I'm not sure exactly how his lack of size will affect him in the pro game, but I just love the way that he plays the game.

Name: Andre Hal

College: Vanderbilt

Height: 5'10

Weight: 188 lbs

Predicted round: 7-FA

STRENGTHS: Balanced athlete with quick, coordinated feet to click-and-close in a hurry. Smooth hips and transitional quickness. Good feel in single coverage and understands how to use the sideline to his advantage. Good vision and anticipation with trained eye use to quickly find the ball. Nice job elevating to play the ball with timing and confidence. Fierce tackler for his size and takes proper angles in run support. Good play speed and won't play tentative. Excellent competitive nature with the ball is in the air. High effort on the field and off with strong leadership traits. Known as a film junkie. Experienced kick returner, averaging 23.1 yards per return with one career special teams score. Two-year starter (26 career starts) with 37 passes defended, earning Second Team All-SEC honors the past two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Average-at-best size with shorter arms and smaller hands. Too easily eliminated by blockers and will be out-matched vs. bigger receivers. Lacks the power to consistently finish, too often sliding off the ballcarrier and struggling to break down in space. Will be trucked by aggressive ballcarriers. Lacks ideal speed and struggles to recover after a false step. Will get his hips turned and needs to do a better job controlling his momentum and anticipating route paths. Needs to improve his body position to better make plays on the ball, going through targets with too much hands-on contact. Gets caught with his eyes stuck in the backfield too long, causing him to be late to react to his man. Mostly off-coverage in college and wasn't asked to jam at the line of scrimmage.--Dane Brugler

OVERVIEW: A three-star cornerback recruit, Andre 'Dre' Hal committed to Vanderbilt prior to his senior year in high school, choosing the Commodores over Nebraska and Louisiana Tech. He provided depth behind Casey Hayward as a freshman and sophomore, spending most of his time on special teams at kick returner. Hal became a full-time starter in 2012 as a junior, taking over for Hayward, and set career-bests in 2013 as a senior with 49 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 18 passes defended and three interceptions, earning Second Team All-SEC honors the past two seasons. Hal lacks imposing size or length for the position, something that shows up in run support and in coverage when pushed around by more physical receivers. It's easy to appreciate his aggressive, competitive nature when the ball is in the air, showing very good sideline and overall field awareness, but he needs to improve his eye discipline to keep track of his man while also keeping tabs on the quarterback. Hal lacks the physical traits to be a consistent NFL starter, but his tough, confident approach to the game should keep him on a roster and allow him to help in dime situations.

My thoughts: Hal could be a hit or he could be a miss. I know that sounds simple, but it's a simple thing to me. He has a lot of potential, but sometimes you will see the game and wonder where the **** he has got to. He can get burned, but I think that he could easily be a great player on special teams and I think that he will get better and be able to contribute eventually at corner, especially on running plays and blitzes.

Unfortunately I don't have a highlight video for him, but there are a couple of game videos that you can watch on Youtube. Here's an interception, though!

I quite like Davis, but I'm wondering whether somebody might draft him too high because of THAT play.

Im a Bama fan and THAT play still pisses me off but it had nothing to do with Auburn. It was one massively stupid mistake that the entire Bama team decided to make at the exact same time laugh.png

Im a Bama fan and THAT play still pisses me off but it had nothing to do with Auburn. It was one massively stupid mistake that the entire Bama team decided to make at the exact same time laugh.png

Bama fan here also..been watching Bama along time...SMDH at that play!!

Phillip Gaines - Rice

Walt Aikens - Liberty

Both may go closer to mid-rounds rather than late, but both have huge upside

A late round/UDFA type is Qua Cox - Jax State

Dude is fun as he77 to watch play; just dang good CB.

An early round guy I really like is Verrett - TCU. He is like glue and an absolute swagger that is unwavering.

Phillip Gaines - Rice

Walt Aikens - Liberty

Both may go closer to mid-rounds rather than late, but both have huge upside

A late round/UDFA type is Qua Cox - Jax State

Dude is fun as he77 to watch play; just dang good CB.

An early round guy I really like is Verrett - TCU. He is like glue and an absolute swagger that is unwavering.

Qua Cox can ball

I'd like to add the kid from Towson Jordon Love aswell out oif all the DB's tested on the plate tech that we have his athleticism measured the highest out of any DB tested.

Walt Aikens is also another guy we have worked out.

how do you know FP test results?

After picking up good depth via FA, I may be in the minority by saying that i dont want to select a corner anywhere in this draft. That pick can go towards another position, and we can bring in an udfa to fill our 5th/6th corner spots. The fact that TD has a decent track record with DBs makes me even more comfortable with that option.

Sidenote: not trying to knock your post at all, OP. I like hal, weary of colvin. But my selection would be Reynolds from OSU or Davis from auburn