My Case For Aaron Donald

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Aaron Donald, don't get me wrong, but there is a log jam right now at DT with Peters, Babineaux, Soliai, and Jackson (will probably play some 3 tech and 5 tech).

I think the team will be better with a quality edge rusher or offensive tackle in the 1st.

We have a log jam at right tackle too!

Omg ... Another useless thread about Donald . Thursday can't get here soon enough so the Donald bandwagon crashes and burns ....

i dont know man... i dont think we will take donald at 6, and he really isnt a need, but you really cant knock anything about Donald. dude is player

If the Falcons didnt move to more hybrid defense I would be cool with Donald . If Falcons would have went this off season threw $$ at Jarred Allen , Allowed 3 DE to rotate Allen, Massaquoi and Osi and we stuck more with 4-3 sets and didnt resign Babs , Donald would be perfect fit

The whole off season points away from a 4-3 UT

Valid point about the UT. But, if you were Tampa back in 1995 and ran a hybrid instead of Tampa 2, would you have passed on Sapp because of his size? I think players with this level of ability do not have scheme issues.

Has anyone seen Donald line up at DE? I've been curious, with his speed, and obvious hand fighting techniques, if he couldn't be legit there. Rotate between DT and DE. He seems better than all the DE's outside of Clowney are likely to be.

If he's limited to just inside, it's hard given our plethora of needs. But since pass rush is a primary need, if we get it from him rotating between UT, RDE, and 5 tech DE...so be it.

They actually said we lined him up at DE a couple of snaps during the week.... They said he had a tackle for loss and a Hurry

But at Pit they would move him around... I remember he played some DE when they played Notre Dame.

I doubt he would be a 8-10 sack player when the Falcons plan on using 3-4 sets a little bit more.

In a one gap penetration system that Wade used for the texans D ... I can see Donald being a penetration DE in a J.J Watt role in our 3-4 sets

http://blog.sfgate.c...s-to-responses/

I have asked Mike Nolan about one-gap and two-gap. He said his defense plays both schemes depending on the call.

Ideally, in his defense, the left end, who is the highlighted player, should weigh about 290 pounds. The nose tackle should be 320 to 340 pounds and the right end should be about 310-315 range.

Coach Nolan talking about his 3-4 when he was with the 49ers

Sidenote:

Nolan’s references to Suggs were off-handed, off-the-record type of remarks. He was a raw player coming in and needed a lot of coaching.

Anthony Barr ?

In a one gap penetration system that Wade used for the texans D ... I can see Donald being a penetration DE in a J.J Watt role...

http://blog.sfgate.c...s-to-responses/

Coach Nolan talking about his 3-4 when he was with the 49ers

Watt plays the 5-tech most of the time which means he has to play the run a lot. His long arms also makes Watt special because he disrupts the QB's view even when he can't get to him.

I would not trust Donald playing 5-tech or playing the run constantly in a 3-4 in the NFL.

Im about to make my case for Aaron Donald if we dont trade up ... The guy is 6'1 285lbs... He ran a 4.6 40 , bench press 35 reps, and ran a 7.11 3 con as a DE.

Not only do i think Donald can get us sacks/pressure inside but think of the effect Atkins play had on Cincys DE's ... A penetrating explosive DT also help out the edge rushers.. The Edge Rushers are allowed to get around that edge and the QB cant step up in the pocket.... A big time DT as a rusher helps out greatly.

Some will say well we resigned Babs, Jerry, and Peters...... Babs contract is basically a 1 year deal for 3 years ....Jerry has no guarantees in his contract so its no guarantee he will make the team.... Corey Peters is coming off a late season injury and if he does come back and shine.. We will not be able to resign him (out of our price range)...

Donalds versatility ....For the ppl sweating his size.... The dude has the athletic ability to line up and DE in our 4-3 sets... We are now bigger and stoutter at DE vs the run but we are losing zero athletic ability .... His athletic ability is better then some DE.. At the combine he ran as fast as my boy Khalil Mack and 285lbs (a little slower) ... you have a big 285lb DE on run downs

People only complaint is his size but low man wins in the game of leverage in the NFL.

If we cant trade up and get a impact guy like Clowney ... We need to consider Aaron Dolnald.

For the PFF lovers... guess who graded out as the best defender at the Senior Bowl

Senior-Bowl-North-D.png

Great points. We need an immediate playmaker on D rather it comes from the edge Clowney/Mack or up the middle Donald, we need a pass rusher that makes a impact from day 1

How are the guys we signed on the defensive line any better against the pass?

Guess how many DT's were in the top 40 in sacks last year.

3. Hatcher, McCoy, and Casey. I am not as worried about sack production from the DT position.

Aaron Donald is a fine player but I don't see him as a year in and year old 10+ sack guy. That would be very rare for a DT to have that kind of sack production.

We aren't devoid of talent at the DT position like we are the DE/OLB position.

I know what you are saying but considering what occurred during free agency I don't think it makes a ton of sense to take another DT after essentially signing 2 (if you consider Jackson will play a 5 and 3 depending on the alignment) and having 2 already on the roster that are capable. Not to mention, it would appear that we are going to incorporate more 34 alignments and I don't think anyone thinks Donald will be a very good 0 or 5 technique.

Guess how many DT's were in the top 40 in sacks last year.

3. Hatcher, McCoy, and Casey. I am not as worried about sack production from the DT position.

Aaron Donald is a fine player but I don't see him as a year in and year old 10+ sack guy. That would be very rare for a DT to have that kind of sack production.

We aren't devoid of talent at the DT position like we are the DE/OLB position.

I know what you are saying but considering what occurred during free agency I don't think it makes a ton of sense to take another DT after essentially signing 2 (if you consider Jackson will play a 5 and 3 depending on the alignment) and having 2 already on the roster that are capable. Not to mention, it would appear that we are going to incorporate more 34 alignments and I don't think anyone thinks Donald will be a very good 0 or 5 technique.

the pressure has to come up the middle to give DE opportunities

Some times it take a while before others see the light...I was on the Mack bandwagon 1st before the draft hype started now it looks like Donald for me.

ive been talking about mack for 2 years tho..lol

I said i'd take him at #6 back in March. I got dibs on driving bandwagon first biggrin.png

granted .. i did start the first "should we take donald with the 6th pick in feb ... i was on the fence but bruh you was all in .... im on that bandwagon fully with you if we dont move up

ive been talking about mack for 2 years tho..lol

granted .. i did start the first "should we take donald with the 6th pick in feb ... i was on the fence but bruh you was all in .... im on that bandwagon fully with you if we dont move up

Back on January 25th. I think i might have ya beat ole buddy lol, but i didn't have near as much info as you did on Mack. That was all you

Back on January 25th. I think i might have ya beat ole buddy lol, but i didn't have near as much info as you did on Mack. That was all you

http://boards.atlant...-me-on-defense/

you did .... didnt remember seeing anyone talk about it ... thats why i made that thread ... good heads up .... i was on the fence regardless .... im fully on it now if we dont trade up .... I remembered you be fully dedicated to the cause tho lol