How Far Could Jadeveon Clowney Fall In The Draft?

g-dawg

Snippet from Peter King, CNNSI:

From the top of the first round to the bottom, here’s what I’m hearing:

No. 1, Houston. The buzz about a trade-down or Khalil Mack to Houston instead of Jadeveon Clowney won’t die. The Texans are doing a good job of sending mixed signals to the GM community, that’s for sure. Mack’s in the dark, which is to be expected. I can’t see Atlanta mortgaging the farm on any player, so if the Texans want to trade down, the return likely won’t be a ransom.

Nos. 2 and 13, St. Louis. I sense the Rams like Greg Robinson at two—over Sammy Watkins and Jake Matthews. A St. Louis contingent went to Auburn on Thursday to work out Robinson; no negatives surfaced.

No. 3, Jacksonville. A peer of GM David Caldwell said Sunday he knows a big Jag priority will be to play it safe with this pick. Sammy Watkins or Jake Matthews … quite safe.

G-Dawg Analysis/Comments: If in fact the Houston Texans don't take Jadeveon Clowney at #1 overall, which appears to be the case, how far could he fall? Of course the Rams COULD take him at #2 and the Jags COULD take Clowney at #3 - but is it likely? I believe everyone in the top 4 believes that Clowney is supposed to end up in Atlanta - you just don't seem to hear a lot of buzz from these other teams about "I gotta have Clowney" - feels like he could drop - maybe teams are wary of the Clowney work ethic? I dunno. If Texans pass on Clowney and select Mack or Manziel - then obviously the Rams are on the clock - if the Rams really want Greg Robinson, then they are probably going to stick at #2 and take him - a trade down further than Jacksonville would risk losing G-Rob. If draft starts: 1) Mack, 2) Robinson, then we go to Jacksonville. Would they take Clowney at #3? Probably - but I don't think Clowney meets the definition of "safe". - my guess is the Clowney slide stops at #3 - but who really knows. If Jacksonville skipped Clowney and took Watkins or Matthews, then I think you would see the Falcons swoop in at #4(Cleveland) and nab him. Its only 200 pt difference between #4 and #6 - you are talking our 3rd rounder and nothing else - at that spot, the juice is worth the squeeze. Will it hapen like that? probably not.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance he makes it past 2

Well, the Lambs do seem to be in love with Robinson, but if Texans can't move down or they don't pick him, at that point TD will be wheeling with his friends in St. Looey, that is what I hope will happen because the expense of moving to 1 is just way too prohibitive.

Guest facelessman07

Hopefully far enough for us to be able to trade up without giving up too much for him

Snippet from Peter King, CNNSI:

From the top of the first round to the bottom, here’s what I’m hearing:

No. 1, Houston. The buzz about a trade-down or Khalil Mack to Houston instead of Jadeveon Clowney won’t die. The Texans are doing a good job of sending mixed signals to the GM community, that’s for sure. Mack’s in the dark, which is to be expected. I can’t see Atlanta mortgaging the farm on any player, so if the Texans want to trade down, the return likely won’t be a ransom.

Nos. 2 and 13, St. Louis. I sense the Rams like Greg Robinson at two—over Sammy Watkins and Jake Matthews. A St. Louis contingent went to Auburn on Thursday to work out Robinson; no negatives surfaced.

No. 3, Jacksonville. A peer of GM David Caldwell said Sunday he knows a big Jag priority will be to play it safe with this pick. Sammy Watkins or Jake Matthews … quite safe.

G-Dawg Analysis/Comments: If in fact the Houston Texans don't take Jadeveon Clowney at #1 overall, which appears to be the case, how far could he fall? Of course the Rams COULD take him at #2 and the Jags COULD take Clowney at #3 - but is it likely? I believe everyone in the top 4 believes that Clowney is supposed to end up in Atlanta - you just don't seem to hear a lot of buzz from these other teams about "I gotta have Clowney" - feels like he could drop - maybe teams are wary of the Clowney work ethic? I dunno. If Texans pass on Clowney and select Mack or Manziel - then obviously the Rams are on the clock - if the Rams really want Greg Robinson, then they are probably going to stick at #2 and take him - a trade down further than Jacksonville would risk losing G-Rob. If draft starts: 1) Mack, 2) Robinson, then we go to Jacksonville. Would they take Clowney at #3? Probably - but I don't think Clowney meets the definition of "safe". - my guess is the Clowney slide stops at #3 - but who really knows. If Jacksonville skipped Clowney and took Watkins or Matthews, then I think you would see the Falcons swoop in at #4(Cleveland) and nab him. Its only 200 pt difference between #4 and #6 - you are talking our 3rd rounder and nothing else - at that spot, the juice is worth the squeeze. Will it hapen like that? probably not.

While I doubt this happens could you imagine him falling to 6? OMG how big would the chip on his shoulder be? He'd be pissed AND extremely motivated.

Third pick. I'll repeat my prediction (as if I have any special knowledge):

Texans draft Bortles.

Cleveland gets antsy wants to ensure that they draft Manziel. They trade up one spot.

Tommy calls the Rams and works a trade up to #3. We draft Clowney.

It is being reported that the Rams want Robinson and the Jags want Matthews or Watkins, so if he doesn't go at 1 it will be interesting to see who wants to trade to get him. Imagine the first five picks going:

Houston - Khalil Mack

St. Louis - Greg Robinson

Jacksonville - Sammy Watkins

Cleveland - Johnny Manziel

Oakland - Jake Matthews

Won't happen, but would be nice. Realistically, I don't think he gets past 3 at Jacksonville.

St. Louis would hold more of a ransom on Clowney than Houston

ST Louis has already 2 first round picks

They also can take BPA

I disagree. They are more likely to take less. More picks is more picks, plus they are not likely to lose any value by trading down. They will still get a top 3 OT or Watkins.

Also because their normal pick is 13th, we can be more flexible with trades. We can swap 2nd or later to increase the value without giving up a pick in that round.

Ram will take Clowney and trade him or trade out

There is ZERO chance Clowney makes it past 2

who's trading up for Clowney besides Atlanta? Jax? they have to save their powder for a QB if they draft a position player in 1st round. Tampa? have they even worked Clowney out? just curious who the other Clowney suitors are that would trade up to #2 for him.

I wish he didn't have the character issues, otherwise, it's a no-brainer to take him but when a guy self-admits that he didn't work hard prior to his last season and then in that last season lays an egg because he came into camp out of shape and then gets injured early and often, just sets off all kinds of red flags...

He won't fall past #4....teams like Atlanta, TB, Vikes, Buffalo all come into play for a trade up scenario...shoot...even SF might have the ammo to come all the way up for him...

I think a SF trade would be very enticing for CLeveland bc they already ahve an additional 1st rounder...they could easily have picks 26, 30, 35, 56, 61, 71, 77, 83...in a very deep draft...

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

Where are the Bills rumors coming from? They have also been making some waves about a big trade up but not for Clowney. Their trade up target is most likely Watkins.

They've been in the Clowney discussions for a couple weeks now. I dont think it'll get done but I think you could see them look to jump up if Watkins is there at 4.