Do Not Give Up Picks This Draft Is Too Deep

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not feeling it bro. Playmakers, we don't have them on that line. Not one guy is a playmaker. Not even for pretend.

I'm not saying we don't need a pass rusher. What I'm saying is it's all for naught without a push up the middle. Which we haven't had. And we got guys who are stand their ground guys more than push guys. So, that's my pessimistic/realistic side. I understand they occupy blockers for LB's, but in the pass game, those guys (Soliai/Jackson) won't be doubled, because they don't need to be, and so they won't occupy blockers in the pass game.

On my more optimistic days, I think just having any other legit DTs lets Babs and Peters be guys who can live more in the backfield. Them being the 3rd and 4th guy in a near 50/50 rotation would have to leave them far more effective.

That's my sincere hope. Otherwise, I fear no edge rusher is going to be very effective. With that center push, a speedy edge rusher from the draft, and the guys we have, we could field a very legit D.

I'm not saying we don't need a pass rusher. What I'm saying is it's all for naught without a push up the middle. Which we haven't had. And we got guys who are stand their ground guys more than push guys. So, that's my pessimistic/realistic side. I understand they occupy blockers for LB's, but in the pass game, those guys (Soliai/Jackson) won't be doubled, because they don't need to be, and so they won't occupy blockers in the pass game.

On my more optimistic days, I think just having any other legit DTs lets Babs and Peters be guys who can live more in the backfield. Them being the 3rd and 4th guy in a near 50/50 rotation would have to leave them far more effective.

That's my sincere hope. Otherwise, I fear no edge rusher is going to be very effective. With that center push, a speedy edge rusher from the draft, and the guys we have, we could field a very legit D.

That'swh at they've been trying for since '08. Now we are plugging the middle with space eaters (which is better) but you have to havea n edge rush...our guys are mediocre at best...easily cut bait on any other team with even a decent pass rush.

That'swh at they've been trying for since '08. Now we are plugging the middle with space eaters (which is better) but you have to havea n edge rush...our guys are mediocre at best...easily cut bait on any other team with even a decent pass rush.

So do you think, honest question as you scout a lot more than me, that Soliai will be effective enough against the pass that teams will double him? Against the run I have little doubt.

Do you think he'll be able to move Brees off his spot, or prevent him from stepping up? If so, I'm psyched, but that hasn't seemed to be his deal.

So do you think, honest question as you scout a lot more than me, that Soliai will be effective enough against the pass that teams will double him? Against the run I have little doubt.

Do you think he'll be able to move Brees off his spot, or prevent him from stepping up? If so, I'm psyched, but that hasn't seemed to be his deal.

I think he will be able to do a few things for two downs, then it will be all pass. Even if he does eat the blocks, we don't get guys who can make it happen when the space is eaten now. Sir, I am asking you to REALLY look at the edge rushers we have and ask yourself, "Are they a threat to Brees?" If we can't get Clowney, I want Donald at least...

I mean Barr or Mack is good, but I like Donald. Let's just not pretend that Clowney and some on target picks in between would do some things for us even if he doesn't get 12-18 sacks a season.

I think he will be able to do a few things for two downs, then it will be all pass. Even if he does eat the blocks, we don't get guys who can make it happen when the space is eaten now. Sir, I am asking you to REALLY look at the edge rushers we have and ask yourself, "Are they a threat to Brees?" If we can't get Clowney, I want Donald at least...

I mean Barr or Mack is good, but I like Donald. Let's just not pretend that Clowney and some on target picks in between would do some things for us even if he doesn't get 12-18 sacks a season.

Donald is one of my favorite players. And I think edge rush is vitally important for this team. I wanted them to take a RT in free agency so they could use the first two picks on rushers (2 edge rushers, or an edge rusher and a penetrating DT, or an edge and a penetrating 5 tech).

I just know someone has to get push up the middle. And I don't mean from time to time dodging around a guy (which our guys do). I mean consistent, move a guy back two yards or go around him push. That cripples an offense.

Donald is one of my favorite players. And I think edge rush is vitally important for this team. I wanted them to take a RT in free agency so they could use the first two picks on rushers (2 edge rushers, or an edge rusher and a penetrating DT, or an edge and a penetrating 5 tech).

I just know someone has to get push up the middle. And I don't mean from time to time dodging around a guy (which our guys do). I mean consistent, move a guy back two yards or go around him push. That cripples an offense.

This! This is what we are missing. We need a guy that freaks out offensive coordinators. I don't see one guy who has that scary thing after Clowney, Mack, Donald, and Barr. If we go OT early, don't crowd the roster with another John Doe. Move on and try again in a few years.

They say it's deep because of the many underclassmen that declared early. I think we're going to net three good starters and one elite player from this draft. As long as we get the best tackle and pass rusher available to us I'll be happy. We all know the big five elite non quarterback players but I like a few of the tier below them players too. I wouldn't mind Barr, and the tackle from Notre Dame, although he's rising here lately. I know we're not going to trade down but I really think no matter what happens we're going to be stacked with good players when the dust settles.

There is no pass rush after Clowney, Mack, and Barr. There are more sidekicks though, we have those. You can't get one of those, the Donald or Pryor. None of those, then we will still be wanting because this draft sucks in terms of that one need. there are a plenty who are decent enough, but that's not what we need. This is the first year my tunnel vision has gotten that deep and I've had plenty of help over the years with that.

First, I am as confident in Barr being a bust as I was with Gabbert. He does not have what it takes to be an NFL caliber player.

Second, no pass rush beyond Clowney and Mack...?

NvYl2A7.gif

almost everyone wants to get 1 elite player

yet by trading back and gaining an extra pick (in this draft) would upgrade 3 or 4 spots from failures to above average

to me it would help the team much more to upgrade more slots than get just 1 elite player

ie I rather have a Defense with 11 B players than a defense with 1 A player and 10 D players

same for Offense

First, I am as confident in Barr being a bust as I was with Gabbert. He does not have what it takes to be an NFL caliber player.

Second, no pass rush beyond Clowney and Mack...?

NvYl2A7.gif

I said before...no more second tier pass rushers. We have enough of those. Barr may not be much, but i don't want to see any more of what we already have.

almost everyone wants to get 1 elite player

yet by trading back and gaining an extra pick (in this draft) would upgrade 3 or 4 spots from failures to above average

to me it would help the team much more to upgrade more slots than get just 1 elite player

ie I rather have a D with 11 B players than a defense with 1 A player and 10 D players

same for Offense

we don't have "B" players. We have "D" players on the defensive side. If we had a solid defense, "c" or better, I'd be ok with adding a handful of young projects.

If you add a significant passtush threat, you make our D line better, you make our secondary better (less time to throw = more mistakes by opposing QBs), you make our LBers better (they don't have as many blockers to shed, less time to "maintain" coverage).

Look at Clowney last year. He was the focus of the opposing offense. That allowed the other DE to get more pressure.

In Nolans system, he likes having the free roaming guy, the joker. If you have a player that the offense constantly has to account for, constantly has to double, you free up his joker. We didn't have that threat last year, and the D was limited. When Abe was on the field, Nolan was able to use his joker.

we don't have "B" players. We have "D" players on the defensive side. If we had a solid defense, "c" or better, I'd be ok with adding a handful of young projects.

If you add a significant passtush threat, you make our D line better, you make our secondary better (less time to throw = more mistakes by opposing QBs), you make our LBers better (they don't have as many blockers to shed, less time to "maintain" coverage).

Look at Clowney last year. He was the focus of the opposing offense. That allowed the other DE to get more pressure.

In Nolans system, he likes having the free roaming guy, the joker. If you have a player that the offense constantly has to account for, constantly has to double, you free up his joker. We didn't have that threat last year, and the D was limited. When Abe was on the field, Nolan was able to use his joker.

that's what I said ---we get B players with more draft picks not by drafting 1 A player

an outside rusher is not going to do 1 iota of good unless the DTs can collapse the pocket

where are those DTs ????

I said before...no more second tier pass rushers. We have enough of those. Barr may not be much, but i don't want to see any more of what we already have.

So you'd rather draft a player riddled with holes in his game because he's not considered a 2nd round prospect? Uh, alright then.

that's what I said ---we get B players with more draft picks not by drafting 1 A player

an outside rusher is not going to do 1 iota of good unless the DTs can collapse the pocket

where are those DTs ????

Babs does his job. Peters did his job. The pocket was affected by them, but we had no one on the outside to finish. We picked up PS in fa, and he'll help.

what pass rushing DE did we sign?