Do Not Give Up Picks This Draft Is Too Deep

As we wind down the days before the draft I seriously hope we do not give away any of at least our first 4 round picks this year. This draft is deep with talent and were shallow on depth. I hear all the Clowney talk on the the sports stations and I pray it's all a smokescreen no way I would give up a 1st 2nd and next years first for Clowney no matter how good he projects.

Now that that's said what would I do. Well I've Been thinking about it and I believe our two top needs are ot and fs so the question is do u get lewan at 6 and bfsa at 37 Jimmie ward or deone Buchanan or should we trade down to 10 and get ha ha and then package our extra pick and our 2nd rounder to pick up bitonio or Moses. Because the latter safeties are more strong safety I think we should try to get Clinton Dix and then go after a tackle

Edited by texasfalconfan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As we wind down the days before the draft I seriously hope we do not give away any of at least our first 4 round picks this year. This draft is deep with talent and were shallow on depth. I hear all the Clowney talk on the the sports stations and I pray it's all a smokescreen no way I would give up a 1st 2nd and next years first for Clowney no matter how good he projects.

Now that that's said what would I do. Well I've Been thinking about it and I believe our two top needs are ot and fs so the question is do u get lewan at 6 and bfsa at 37 Jimmie ward or deone Buchanan or should we trade down to 10 and get ha ha and then package our extra pick and our 2nd rounder to pick up bitonio or Moses. Because the latter safeties are more strong safety I think we should try to get Clinton Dix and then go after a tackle

Sorry to disappoint but we are trading up. OT and FS is not our two biggest needs. Pass rush is. Heck you can throw Freddie the Falcon back at FS if we had some pass rush

No draft pick is a complete lock. Even Andrew Luck could have been hurt early on and become ineffective. The only thing you can say is that if you pick one of the top 3-4 players in the world coming out of college, your chances of them busting are much lower than a third round safety who may have been the 7th best at his position coming out of college.

I'd rather give up a third this year and a first next year (plus later round picks if needed) to go get a guy like Clowney or Mack than trade down to #10-11 just to pick up another crapshoot draft pick in the third round. We don't get to pick this high very often and in spite of what some debbie downers say on these boards, we will be a much better team that what we put on the field last year. A lot of that "depth" was on the field all year last year getting experience as starters and it looks as if most of the D-Line we had starting last year is going to become this years depth.

This draft is insanely deep at WR, and OL. Like KOG said, pass rushers fall off steeply after the first two (maybe 3 if you include Barr) and FS is almost non existent in this draft.

I do not advocate giving up the farm. But if my choice is Julio or the guys the Browns chose with all our picks, im taking Jones(metaphorically speaking of Clowney).

...we will be a much better team that what we put on the field last year. A lot of that "depth" was on the field all year last year getting experience as starters and it looks as if most of the D-Line we had starting last year is going to become this years depth.

^^THIS^^

The doomsayers on here who talk about the Falcons being in "rebuilding" mode are dismissing five good seasons due to one bad season, even though injuries crippled the roster. TD and Smitty may deserve flak for not being able to win enough in the postseason, but they dang sure deserve credit for knowing how to get there. Even with last year's terrible record, the six-year average is still > 10 wins per year.

i'm not saying the team is "one player away from the Super Bowl," but it's a LOT closer to that than "2-3 years away from competing," which is how they are too often described by critics on TATF.

#6, #37, #68, #103 - that should net the Falcons two quality starters and two young quality backups. That + the free agents signings can get this team back to being a contender in the NFC, which is what the Falcons have been for four of the last six years.

We look at the draft as, in some respects, a luck-driven process. The more picks you have, the more chances you have to get a good player. When we look at teams that draft well, it’s not necessarily that they’re drafting better than anybody else. It seems to be that they have more picks. There’s definitely a correlation between the amount of picks and drafting good players.”

We need to keep all our picks and if possible get more. TD and associates are not very good at drafting, mainly because they reach for need and somehow think they know more than the scouts e.g. Holmes and draft players too high. When a real bargain is available, we are out of picks.

I say hold strong at 6 if two QBs are taken before us. When we get to 6 there will be one good QB left along with our guy at DL or OL. Dallas, TB or Minnesota will earmark that QB and pay us dearly to secure the last good QB (Manzel, Bortals, Bridewater (Sp)).

We would then have the leverage because teams would have to give up a lot for us to trade out of picking one of the top DLs or OLs left.

If Minnesota comes calling I'll ask for their 3rd, if Dallas comes calling I'll take their 2nd and a 4th.

This draft is insanely deep at WR, and OL. Like KOG said, pass rushers fall off steeply after the first two (maybe 3 if you include Barr) and FS is almost non existent in this draft.

I do not advocate giving up the farm. But if my choice is Julio or the guys the Browns chose with all our picks, im taking Jones(metaphorically speaking of Clowney).

Yep. FS is incredibly thin. I was looking at FS options and saw Ed Reynolds in the 2nd-3rd round range, watched his film and he looks like DeCoud 2.0. I really think we need a 1st round FS is we want to draft one. Otherwise drafting a FS later is pointless

It is deep in the positions that we don't need. Wide receiver, cornerback... We won't find starting quality tackles, pass rushers or safeties in rounds 5, 6 and 7.

In agree but I do think there will be quality Right Tackles to be had in the 3rd-4th rounds.

It's simple, keep the picks. I like Clowney too, but it's almost insane to trade the entire house AGAIN for a guy with a questionable work ethic. At least you knew what you were getting with Julio, and still people want to trade him.

Bottom line, you have more chances to hit the lottery with the more tickets (picks) you have. The Clown is not the only pass rusher in this draft. If he does turn out to be who we hope he is, at least we didn't pass on him because he never made it to our pick anyway.

Yep. FS is incredibly thin. I was looking at FS options and saw Ed Reynolds in the 2nd-3rd round range, watched his film and he looks like DeCoud 2.0. I really think we need a 1st round FS is we want to draft one. Otherwise drafting a FS later is pointless

In agree but I do think there will be quality Right Tackles to be had in the 3rd-4th rounds.

Maybe. I like Hurst, James and Turner. They could be around at that point.

There is ZERO chance that the Falcons draft 10 players this draft, including the compensatory picks. Therefore, they will trade picks at some point. We just dont have that many open roster spots to draft 10 players without giving up some players on the roster they like and are developing.

I think Houston may have overplayed their hand. They keep saying they are open for business to get out of the first pcik.....they might have asked for too much and are now becoming a little desperate. Remember, Hogs get slaughtered.

I can't see a team lessening what they offered for the pick. So I don't think it's desperation. They are still saying they want an RG3 type trade. I don't think they get that but it sounds

Ike I will be costly if someone wants to move up. More costly for a team like ATL who probably won't have a high draft pick next year.

How does one determine if a draft is "deep"? Every year, people say "this draft is deep". Most years, its not deep at all.

in most years, you have a few premier guys at each position. This year, you have two premier WRs, 2 passrushers, and a handful of OTs.

after the premier guys, there's a huge drop off. If anything, this draft class is as shallow as any I've seen. No top tier QBs.

every other year, I'm fine with keeping picks. This year, I want a top talent. If I have to give up the chance to draft a few mediocre guys in order to get a top shelf guy, I would do it.

How does one determine if a draft is "deep"? Every year, people say "this draft is deep". Most years, its not deep at all.

in most years, you have a few premier guys at each position. This year, you have two premier WRs, 2 passrushers, and a handful of OTs.

after the premier guys, there's a huge drop off. If anything, this draft class is as shallow as any I've seen. No top tier QBs.

every other year, I'm fine with keeping picks. This year, I want a top talent. If I have to give up the chance to draft a few mediocre guys in order to get a top shelf guy, I would do it.

It's deep in first round talent and second round talent. Also talented starters all the way into the 5th. I think Clowney is the only elite talent though. Guys like Mack and the OTs are exceptional talents at cornerstone positions but are not more talented then the guys in the middle first.