Official Hawks Offseason Thread

WOR

Season just ended. Let's move on to something else haha. Depressing ain't it

****Merging the FA options thread with this one.****

Greg Monroe*- He is a restricted free agent and highly unlikely to leave Detroit. However, I post this in a STRANGE scenario where we trade Horford for a SG or SF. We then "trade" Horfords roster spot for Greg Monroe. The only reason I would ever do this is if the Hawks are really concerned about Horfords injury history.

Gordon Hayward**-Now this is a guy I would love to have at the SF position. He is restricted so Im not putting the chances very high. However, he could help us bring some offense to the 3 spot. Has been very on and off with his 3pt %. 47%, 35%, 42%, and 30% in his 4 years.

Zach Randolph***- Player option. If he declines he is free pickings. For that reason alone I give him 3 stars. If the Hawks wanted him, they could get him. Again, this would be contingent on a Horford deal and a real center. However, Randolph is a great low post scorer and would improve our rebounding tremendously.

Pau Gasol***-UFA. Like Randolph, if we want him, we have a free shot at him. I wouldn't look his way because injuries have plagued him recently, he's old, and he's always been a "soft" player. But, he is 7ft tall and we need a center.

Lance Stephenson***- Now this is incredibly interesting. He is firey and streaky. Not exactly the player you want in the "team" basketball the Hawks play, but he can score the basketball from the 2 spot and that is an area the Hawks need to improve. UFA so he's free and clear.

Avery Bradley*- Restricted Free Agent. Not that big of a chance. But a solid scorer, and a tremendous defensive guard. Would fit well inside Buds system

Spencer Hawes***- Not the best center in the world, but he is serviceable and we are lacking serviceable true Centers. UFA.

Marcin Gortat***- Pretty much the same deal as Hawes.

Danny Granger***- Now this to me is incredibly interesting. A few years ago he was a premier SF. Injuries hurt his stock a lot. However, his skill set matches what we are missing. UFA and could really fit nicely in a rotation with Carroll.

Trevor Ariza***-A lot like Carroll. Would mainly be defensive "depth" with Carroll. Still a solid player

Thabo Sefolosha***- Not the shooter Korver is. But much better defensively. Mainly just defensive depth behind Korver. Can hit open shots. UFA

Dejuan Blair****-Now this is a guy I have always liked. Smaller than you want, but can flat rebound the basketball. An area we need improvement in. Would be an upgrade from Ayon in the front court rotation. Made less than a million last season.

Jordan Hill***-Big dude. Great Rebounder. Would slide in the backup rotation with Antic.

Honorable Mentions: Josh Mcroberts(size), Jordan Crawford(selfish but can score), Kris Humphries, Trevor Booker, Marshon Brooks(once views as a solid offensive option)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacers ought to consider themselves very fortunate. We still have a lot to look forward to next season. We took the #1 seed to Game 7 (with two HUGE wins on the road) with a chunk of our roster (including our best player) inactive because of injuries. I know we lost and of course won't get much (if any) credit, but I think we still made a bold statement (in record setting fashion). We're not a team to be trifled with, and when we're completely healthy and firing on all cylinders, the East had better watch out. GO HAWKS!

Now on to football. lol

Edited by JerseyNo12

I think were far more talented healthy, buy were not on a east champion level yet.

We still don't have a SF or a capable SG that can get their own shot.

Were good and improving, but we still have a lot of work.

The lacers were just as bad as we were good

Pacers ought to consider themselves very fortunate. We still have a lot to look forward to next season. We took the #1 seed to Game 7 (with two HUGE wins on the road) with a chunk of our roster (including our best player) inactive because of injuries. I know we lost and of course won't get much (if any) credit, but I think we still made a bold statement. We're not a team to be trifled with, and when we're completely healthy and firing on all cylinders, the East had better watch out. GO HAWKS!

Now on to football. lol

Hawks took the number one seed in 2008 to 7 games. That was more impressive. Pacers are a flawed team

Hawks took the number one seed in 2008 to 7 games. That was more impressive. Pacers are a flawed team

Yeah taking the Celtics 7 games was one of the biggest series in franchise history.

It was a fun series, but I'm still not overly impressed. I'm proud, definitely, but game 7 was the only time they actually played like the real Pacers.

Dang bro you don't waste time rubbing it in, huh!!!LOL

We had like 5 threads going lol. And I could see it going in an interesting direction so I figured I'd create a large thread we could use for it all.

Yeah taking the Celtics 7 games was one of the biggest series in franchise history.

It was a fun series, but I'm still not overly impressed. I'm proud, definitely, but game 7 was the only time they actually played like the real Pacers.

Yeah, go figure. Well, we'll see how things go for them throughout the playoffs. I bet the Wizards still haven't forgotten the comment David West made about them earlier in the regular season, that they're "not supposed to lose to a team like the Wizards." This ought to be an interesting series, which I'll be able to watch all of it since I live just outside DC.

Yeah, go figure. Well, we'll see how things go for them throughout the playoffs. I bet the Wizards still haven't forgotten the comment David West made about them earlier in the regular season, that they're "not supposed to lose to a team like the Wizards." This ought to be an interesting series, which I'll be able to watch all of it since I live just outside DC.

If you ever need a way to watch the game hit me up lol

Man I wasn't aware of that comment he made but it doesn't surprise me coming from him though. I hope the wizards beat the chit out of them!biggrin.png

We really have a good set up right now and I really like the flexibility we have. Here are my thoughts:

1. We are set at the PG position. Teague has been great the past couple of seasons for us, improving each season, but really started to get noticed in these playoffs. He is one of the best PGs and one of the best young ones. Mack is a solid back-up that also will keep improving. Dennis will be great in a few seasons and is a great reserve guy that is simply a play-maker. It will be fun to see how much each of these guys improves over the off-season, especially Schroder.

2. We are loaded at PF position. Millsap is an All-Star and is great, we all know that. Mike Scott really improved this season. I remember watching him in the Summer League action and was really impressed and was glad to see him start to get more and more minutes down the stretch of the season and perform well in those minutes. I am really happy with his future. Horford really is a PF and that gives us another great player here.

3. We have no true centers. When you look at this roster, there is no big guy that is a true center that can control the glass and abuse a team on the block. The only person who has the size of a center is Antic, and he is not a post up type player. Nougeria (or however you spell it) needs to add some muscle (I wonder how thats coming, anyone have an update or pic of him) but has the athletic ability to be a great player.

4. We don't have a scorer or compliment to Teague at the SG or SF spot. Yeah Korver is a great shooter, but he isn't what I'm talking about in a scorer. I hope for a Klay Thompson to Stephan Curry type of guy. Louis could be that guy, but he has been a bit slow since returning from his injury and is better suited coming off the bench. We definitely need someone who can create their own shot and serve as a compliment to Teague.

With that being said, here is what I think we need to do:

1. Draft a center with first pick or bring Nougeria to Atlanta. I feel like Millsap's time here in Atlanta is going to be short, and he is here just so that we can train our center and then move Horford to PF. There aren't many good center prospects in the draft outside of Embiid, so that is a blow and why I think we will most likely have Nougeria come to Atlanta to play for us. We have been missing a center for a long time and Horford could dominate as a PF, where he belongs. I would really love to draft a center, but I just don't think the talent for one is there.

2. Get a wing. With their really not being a center to draft, I think we need to use the first pick for a SG/SF. I was watching some guys play and one of the more impressive players was Zach Lavine. He is an amazing athlete and has a great stroke and shot. I really like his game and think he can become a very good player. He has a lot of upside and is very young. He has that rhythm bounce on pull up shots that a lot of the better wings have. I think he should be the pick for us and think he can become very good. He does have some problems with decision making and consistency, but he should get better with that with experience and coaching. Here is his highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myt7Hg8s4uw

3. Add FA pieces. I haven't really looked into FA that much but we need to add some more height and depth for competition.

Edited by ATL_DirtyBirds

We really have a good set up right now and I really like the flexibility we have. Here are my thoughts:

1. We are set at the PG position. Teague has been great the past couple of seasons for us, improving each season, but really started to get noticed in these playoffs. He is one of the best PGs and one of the best young ones. Mack is a solid back-up that also will keep improving. Dennis will be great in a few seasons and is a great reserve guy that is simply a play-maker. It will be fun to see how much each of these guys improves over the off-season, especially Schroder.

2. We are loaded at PF position. Millsap is an All-Star and is great, we all know that. Mike Scott really improved this season. I remember watching him in the Summer League action and was really impressed and was glad to see him start to get more and more minutes down the stretch of the season and perform well in those minutes. I am really happy with his future. Horford really is a PF and that gives us another great player here.

3. We have no true centers. When you look at this roster, there is no big guy that is a true center that can control the glass and abuse a team on the block. The only person who has the size of a center is Antic, and he is not a post up type player. Nougeria (or however you spell it) needs to add some muscle (I wonder how thats coming, anyone have an update or pic of him) but has the athletic ability to be a great player.

4. We don't have a scorer or compliment to Teague at the SG or SF spot. Yeah Korver is a great shooter, but he isn't what I'm talking about in a scorer. I hope for a Klay Thompson to Stephan Curry type of guy. Louis could be that guy, but he has been a bit slow since returning from his injury and is better suited coming off the bench. We definitely need someone who can create their own shot and serve as a compliment to Teague.

1. Draft a center with first pick or bring Nougeria to Atlanta. I feel like Millsap's time here in Atlanta is going to be short, and he is here just so that we can train our center and then move Horford to PF. There aren't many good center prospects in the draft outside of Embiid, so that is a blow and why I think we will most likely have Nougeria come to Atlanta to play for us. We have been missing a center for a long time and Horford could dominate as a PF, where he belongs. I would really love to draft a center, but I just don't think the talent for one is there.

2. Get a wing. With their really not being a center to draft, I think we need to use the first pick for a SG/SF. I was watching some guys play and one of the more impressive players was Zach Lavine. He is an amazing athlete and has a great stroke and shot. I really like his game and think he can become a very good player. He has a lot of upside and is very young. He has that rhythm bounce on pull up shots that a lot of the better wings have. I think he should be the pick for us and think he can become very good. He does have some problems with decision making and consistency, but he should get better with that with experience and coaching. Here is his highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myt7Hg8s4uw

3. Add FA pieces. I haven't really looked into FA that much but we need to add some more height and depth for competition.

Good post bruh!

https://www.youtube....h?v=Myt7Hg8s4uw

Good post.

1. Agree with most. Teague is locked down on a pretty good contract, so we got our starter. Mack is a FA though, and i think someone will pay him more than the Hawks are willing to. Hopefully Dennis improves enough to be a solid backup to Teague next season.

2. We got Millsap for next season atleast. Hopefully he keeps playing well and we can resign him after next season to a reasonable contract. Scott is a FA, but i really hope we can resign him, and someone doesnt overpay to out bid us. I like the offense and energy he can bring off the bench. The PF positon worries me though if we cant resign Millsap in 2015 and someone takes Scott from us this summer. We're gonna have to fill both positions unless we can get a Center to start. Although I think Muscala is gonna turn into a decent backup C/PF

3. Im fine with Horford at center as long as we have Millsap. Especially with the offense we run, and Horfords strengths within the offense. Im not sold on Nogueira ever being a Hawk, unless we have no choice next season. I just he can never gain the weight/muscle to not get dominated in the nba. IDK how hes done since he came back from tendinitis in both knees. If those few months of trying to put on weight/muscle made him miss all that time. I dont see him ever being able to handle it.

4. I agree. We need another scorer at SF or SG. Horford being back will help some though.

And heres what i hope we can do, and replying to you comments...

1. Agree with no center being worth our pick at 15, and Millsaps time being short. I'd love to be able to sign Spencer Hawes and trade Millsap for a SF than can score and atleast play close to Carrolls defense. Then Horford can play PF.

2. Agree with needing to upgrade SF. Im fine with Carroll starting another season if need be though. He plays above average D, gets rebounds, hustles to get us a few extra possesions a game, and have improved his 3 ball. Like i said before about Hawes and trading Millsap for a SF would be much better though. I really wanna get our future starting SG in this draft. I like Gary Harris, Nik Stauskas, and then James Young. In that order. Then we could move Korver to 6th man. If we had to id be fine trading Millsap+1st pick to move up to get Gary or Nik if we signed Hawes (or even better Lou+1st pick).

This offseason should be interesting though. Im excited! Will Dennis improve enough to replace Mack? Will we be able to resign Mack? Resign Scott? If not whos gonna replace them. Will we trade Millsap? Brand is a FA will BeBe come over to replace him? Will Jenkins improve enough and get his college stroke back enough to make Korver expendable? (doubt it)

Summer league is gonna be fun to watch though. Dennis, Jenkins, Muscala, BeBe, and our draft picks.

BTW im drunk so i may not be thinking straight.

Edited by Fridge_LargeMeat

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Summer Scoop: Hawks' flight plan

By Marc Stein

ESPN.com senior writer Marc Stein has the lowdown on the Hawks as they head into the offseason.

Five burning questions and answers about the immediate future of the Atlanta Hawks in the wake of their 92-80 loss Saturday night in Game 7 in Indiana:

1. How will the Hawks ultimately grade this season?

I know long-suffering Hawks fans are devastated. They rue allowing themselves to get their hopes up after Atlanta won both Game 1 and Game 5 on the road and gave itself a chance in Game 6 to close out the East's top seed at home. They're inevitably bound to see this as merely just another disappointment for a franchise that can scarcely imagine what the Eastern Conference finals feel like.

Still ...

Let's not forget what this gutty little 38-win squad accomplished.

The Hawks managed to keep the big-market Knicks out of the playoffs and and plunged Indiana into a full-fledged crisis that, until Game 7, made 7-foot Roy Hibbert seem borderline invisible.

The Hawks also achieved all that without their best player -- Al Horford hasn't played a minute since Dec. 26 -- and just introduced a popular new logo change as well.

Bearing all that in mind, it's difficult not to see this season as a success for rookie coach Mike Budenholzer, who quickly proved that plenty rubbed off during those nearly two decades working at the elbow of Gregg Popovich.

2. So what sort of offseason do you envision from Danny Ferry?

The Hawks, to be frank, are one of the toughest teams to read in the matters.

Ferry, like Budenholzer, was schooled in the San Antonio system, where mere ruminations about who to call up on a 10-day from the D-League are treated as matters of national security.

Yet those who know Ferry best expect him to operate much like he did last season. Which is to say that the Hawks are likely to let everyone around the league know they have lots of assets and are willing to use them in the trade market if the opportunity presents itself.

The Hawks want another major piece. They know they need at least one more even if Horford makes a fast and full recovery from the two unfortunate shoulder separations he's endured these past two seasons.

3. What about the Hawks' cap space?

The Hawks should have plenty of it depending on where the salary cap number officially lands in July, but expect them to use it cautiously again. Until he can secure that so-called major piece, count on Ferry to favor flexibility.

ATLANTA HAWKS: 2013-14

Regular-season record: 38-44

ESPN Forecast proj. record: 41-41

Playoff result: Lost in first round

Unrestricted free agents: Elton Brand, Cartier Martin

Using last summer as a guide, you'll recall they tried to force their way into the Dwight Howard sweepstakes -- which actually began with dreams of trying to make a double swoop for both Howard and Chris Paul -- before ultimately settling for the likes of that sneaky good two-year deal worth $19 million awarded to Paul Millsap.

Which is regarded, despite Millsap's forgettable Game 7 in Indy on Saturday night, as one of the league's smartest contracts.

4. Can't you give us the name of at least one marquee free agent Atlanta is expected to pursue?

There have been some recent rumbles on the personnel grapevine that the Hawks will lob themselves into the bidding for Detroit Pistons restricted free agent Greg Monroe.

The close ties between Monroe's agent, David Falk, and Falk's former star client Ferry make such rumbles inevitable.

Whether that chatter morphs into full-fledged courtship remains to be seen.

5. What else Hawk-y is on your mind?

Dennis Schroder!

No one in last June's rookie class intrigues me more. If you're intent on spotlighting disappointments with the 2013-14 Hawks, Schroder's inability to establish himself as a clear backup to the best Jeff Teague certainly qualifies.

So a summer of development for Schroder would represent the most welcome in-house developments Atlanta could wish for that doesn't have to do with Horford's health.

PS -- Can you once and for all explain that #eventhehawks hashtag you were promoting all season?

It was actually started by some creative Hawks fans last July during Dwight Howard's free agency.

As Dwight's decision approached, I apparently tweeted something to the effect that "even the Hawks' hadn't yet been informed that they were all the way out of the running, despite the growing sense that Howard was Houston-bound.

And that prompted some tortured Hawks souls, in wonderfully self-deprecating fashion, to turn #eventhehawks into a mantra of sorts.

I'm not sure exactly who was the first to bring it into being, but please consider this a hearty thank you from yours truly to all who've playfully embraced it.

Which encouraged me to have a little fun with it.